P-51 Mustang (Documentary & Interview)

LJS1993

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LJ Savala
Again guys if this is a re-thread forgive me for the post. However I found this video VERY cool as it satisfied both my interest in aircraft and history. I noticed the pilot discussed how tiring the plane is to fly and how it's not stable. Can anyone explain this to me a bit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBIIhP_eOvE

Again guys if this is a re-thread forgive me for the post. However I found this video VERY cool as it satisfied both my interest in aircraft and history. I noticed the pilot discussed how tiring the plane is to fly and how it's not stable. Can anyone explain this to me a bit?
Stability is generally in conflict with maneuverability. Today's fighters use "computerized" flight controls to provide both.

Thanks for link, enjoyed the video.

Here's what I got from it

1.) I should have done my homework and gone to med school :D
2.) Now I know what an overehad-break is and what its purpose is.

So listening to the pilot speak about the challenges and the "focus" requried to fly a P-51, it makes me think that there was little compromise of performance in favour of safety. I mean, nowadays I read about designs of airplanes that are made more difficult to spin, that can be be flown hands-off when trimmed, that have positive stability.... and even parachutes.

I'll take all of those safety designs any day, but it makes me admire those with [ ] that flew those planes while being shot at!

Thanks for link, enjoyed the video.

Here's what I got from it

1.) I should have done my homework and gone to med school :D
2.) Now I know what an overehad-break is and what its purpose is.

So listening to the pilot speak about the challenges and the "focus" requried to fly a P-51, it makes me think that there was little compromise of performance in favour of safety. I mean, nowadays I read about designs of airplanes that are made more difficult to spin, that can be be flown hands-off when trimmed, that have positive stability.... and even parachutes.

I'll take all of those safety designs any day, but it makes me admire those with [ ] that flew those planes while being shot at!
I'd rater not have the safety compromise in a plane I intend to go get shot at in, they may compromise safety!:lol:

Back