P-51 Engine Out

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148

British warbird pilot, Mark Levy, was part of a 21-airplane formation in the annual airshow at Duxford, England when the P-51 he was flying had a partial engine out. Levy recorded the entire event on a pair of point-of-view video cameras, and he shared the images, as well as his lessons learned, in a candid discussion with Richard McSpadden, Executive Director of the AOPA Air Safety Institute.

:eek::eek::eek:

It’s interesting that when you read the pilot’s description of his decision points and mistakes, it sounds like he covers about 10 minutes of time. Then you see the video and you realize all the decisions and adjustments he was making in the space of a minute or two, especially as he turned toward the runway.

I thought his realization that his use of precious time and altitude hoping the engine would clear was significant and something all pilots should consider. There were obviously multiple fields under him that were suitable for an emergency landing. While he did a great job of rolling wings level and the outcome was good, his delay might have put the airplane at a place and attitude that wasn't as forgiving.

I'm certainly not saying he made a wrong decision in trying for the runway, just that circumstances can deteriorate quickly and it's something to consider in an emergency.

That last minute bank that only leveled as he hit the ground made me crazy nervous

Yes, I noticed that as well.....

Also noticed he tried to crank the canopy back after motion had stopped. That leads me to think he might have had some disbelief as to what had just happened.

Anyway, hope the plane can get repaired and flying again.

Back