P-51 Down in Texas

Crap, I just did a ride program 2 days ago. Galveston Gal was a beautiful aircraft. RIP.

Re: "Galveston Gal" (P51) crashes near Galveston

That REALLY sucks....:sad::sad::sad:

Passenger was a UK man, here on his 41st wedding anniversary trip.

Pilot was from Denton, just up the highway from me.

RIP.

Re: "Galveston Gal" (P51) crashes near Galveston

R.I.P. This is very sad.

Has anyone heard anymore about likely causes?

Heard from a buddy that was fishing and witnessed it and he said he was watching it and it did one circle and basically flew into the water at full speed. He was pretty shook up. From what I figure it was a rigging malfunction...maybe an elevator issue? He is not a pilot but he described it pretty detailed. Engine never missed and the plane was straight (wings level). Could have been an acrobatics miscalculation but he said he didn't think they were doing any acrobatics. Said turn looked like a normal 180ish degree turn.

For anyone who has flown in this plane. - or operates similar... Would they not have had chutes on and an egress plan?

I think I just saw this plane in the fort worth alliance airshow too... Very sad

For anyone who has flown in this plane. - or operates similar... Would they not have had chutes on and an egress plan?

Oh I'd say they both had chutes. I flew in a TP-51C last weekend and the crew chief strapped me in the chute and briefed me on egress. If you're going up in a Mustang I'd think the ride wouldn't be complete without a little acro. Unfortunately if there was something that went wrong mechanically I'm not sure I would've had enough time to get out.

I have flown in this plane and yes there were chutes. I flew with a different pilot. We did aleron roles and a few other 1g manovors all at 4500 msl. They do have on board cameras, hopefully they will find these.

I feel for all involved but especially the poor guy who just wanted a thrill ride and ended up dead.

I did suck for him big time, but the biggest loser from this tragic event is this guy's poor wife of 41 years. Came to America for the trip of a life time and ended up with a nightmare of a life time.

Yeah, sure, RIP to the dead, but it's the living that really suffer.:(

I did suck for him big time, but the biggest loser from this tragic event is this guy's poor wife of 41 years. Came to America for the trip of a life time and ended up with a nightmare of a life time.

Agreed...:sad::sad::sad:

I feel for all involved but especially the poor guy who just wanted a thrill ride and ended up dead.

It was the ultimate thrill right up until the splash. One might say he got his money's worth.

That's true...it's been 28 years since the crash of a 421 took the lives of six wonderful people I knew. I still think about them and the tragedy of their deaths.

That happened to a very good friend of mine who was a stay at home mom. Husband's first solo flight after getting a seaplane rating. His life insurance had a GA exclusion and they had two very young children.

Back