P-210 w/ STOL kit

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Why would you put a Robertson STOL kit on a P-210?

It seems to me someone is asking extreme opposite double duty of this plane.

Why would you put a Robertson STOL kit on a P-210?

It seems to me someone is asking extreme opposite double duty of this plane.

You pick up some speed with the leading edge cuff as well as a higher AOA before stall, you get flaperons, you get better low speed handling, you get better performance off high altitude strips. In general, you make the plane into a very well rounded useful aircraft. R/STOL, Tip tanks and baggage tank are exactly the way I would want a P-210. Oh yeah, radar pod as well.

FWIW, im pretty sure that you cant be known ice certified and have the STOL kit. boots dont work with the wingtips, i believe. would decrease the utililty some, depending on where you plan to do most of your flying

We just got done with a guy's 210 recently-put boots and a STOL kit on at the same time. It's not known ice certified though; I'm not familiar with the regs covering that, but there was no tail boot included. He got the STOL kit because he operates from a grass strip a few miles NE of Ottumwa. Seemed pretty happy when all was said and done.

You pick up some speed with the leading edge cuff as well as a higher AOA before stall, you get flaperons, you get better low speed handling, you get better performance off high altitude strips. In general, you make the plane into a very well rounded useful aircraft. R/STOL, Tip tanks and baggage tank are exactly the way I would want a P-210. Oh yeah, radar pod as well.

Bingo.

I put a STOL kit on my old 182 and picked up around three knots. But the real utility value was in short-field landings. I never worried about short-field takeoffs--give that bird 20 degrees of Cessna flaps with that big Continental up front, and she felt like a whirley bird.

The 210 is a remarkably versatile bird and is popular down here with small charter/for-hire operations. LOT of small, narrow SHORT paved strips out these ways. Improved slow-flight handling is always a plus, and improved takeoff performance can never be argued with.

Regards.

-JD

I have a turbo twin Comanche with Robertson STOL. I think on the Twinkie the kit may cost a knot or two, but the improved slow speed handling (a Twinkie weak point) is a nice plus, and lowering VMC by 10 knots is a VERY good feature.

A 210 with the kit has the best of all possible worlds. Fly in and out of short strips, then go far and fast up high.

Jay

Back