Ozempic/Wegovy

aggie06

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Aggie
Anyone know pilots using these? Am I reading the Basic Med requirements correctly that using one of these weight loss drugs wouldn’t fall under the special issuance requirement? Or is there some underlying required diagnosis to get the prescription that would require a new SI under Basic Med?

I would assume that a 3rd class is out of the question without a lot of work after getting on one of these drugs.

Not so much. Have your doc, do the diabetes worksheet and satisfy the "currency" and timing on the sheet, of the HbA1c.

Ozempic and Wegovy are okay for diabetes, pre diabetes....If you don't have diabetes FAA will issue a special for use of medication.

With a good note and labs you can get approved for Ozempic/Wegovy for diabetes and/or weight loss.

Not so much. Have your doc, do the diabetes worksheet and satisfy the "currency" and timing on the sheet, of the HbA1c.

Ozempic and Wegovy are okay for diabetes, pre diabetes....If you don't have diabetes FAA will issue a special for use of medication.
Just out of curiosity, why the diabetes worksheet? Wegovy is not approved for diabetes. Maybe the FAA allows it, but that would be an off-label use, right?

Just trying to understand why a SI would be required for an on-label medication that isn’t on the do not fly or do not issue list

Wegovy is semaglutide which is a GLP -1 inhibitior and it IS approved @ FAA for non-insulin requriing diabetes. If you have a DM worksheet and it sez you don't have diabetes (have a normal HbA1c) the FAA does interpret that PROPERLY. If you do have it it's required. So it works as a "one-covers all". I've had attending phyiscians write on it "doesn't have diabetes, used for weight loss". Either way, it works.

Wegovy is semaglutide which is a GLP -1 inhibitior and it IS approved @ FAA for non-insulin requriing diabetes. If you have a DM worksheet and it sez you don't have diabetes (have a normal HbA1c) the FAA does interpret that PROPERLY. If you do have it it's required. So it works as a "one-covers all". I've had attending phyiscians write on it "doesn't have diabetes, used for weight loss". Either way, it works.
With the cost factor and supply problems plaguing Wegovy, I know people who are using a compounding pharmacy supplied Semaglutide. Is the FAA focused on the trade names of Ozempic or Wegovy, or does the rule cover any "semaglutide" such as those done by compounding.

I hear what you’re saying, and you’re an actual doc, so I’ll take your word for it. I’ve read that diabetics are to be prescribed ozempic. Technically, as I understand it, using Wegovy to treat diabetes would be an off-label use and not FDA approved.

That’s where my question comes from. Are there other medications that are totally kosher with the FAA on-label, but you have to prove you’re not using it for another off-label reason?

I know the opposite is true, that there are on-label do not issue meds, that extend to off-label as well, but this is the first time I’ve heard of the FAA requiring an SI for on-label use because its possible someone was prescribed it for off-label use.

I'm baffled why anyone would take any drug when it's not for specific medical issues.

I'm baffled why anyone would take any drug when it's not for specific medical issues.

Tell me you don't struggle with weight management without telling me :)

It's not a panacea, but semaglutide does something to interrupt my snack-seeking brain when it is at its worst. While "calories in, calories out" is the usual refrain, semaglutide (and my current liraglutide, to a less extent) helps control the calories-in bit, when your entire brain/biome/lack of self-control (pick your favorite excuse) is working against you. It chills the manic eater inside.

It's not a mystery why people are raiding the stuff. It's sort of on-brand in a gallows humor way. ;)

Sleep well then! Obesity is a specific medical issue and number 5 on the list of premature death.

I wonder why guys who take the little blue pill don’t have to have a complete heart work-up.
1694473579858.jpeg

Sleep well then! Obesity is a specific medical issue and number 5 on the list of premature death.
That's not the issue I was inferring....I agree with the problems of obesity (I admit I'm overweight and diabetic, type 2) but unless morbidly overweight, I worry that we're in the mode of "better living thru modern chemistry", and assume drugs can solve any problem. I'm seeing local walk-in clinics blatantly advertise semaglutide, among others and testosterone treatments. Can you really tell me this is practicing responsible medicine?

That's not the issue I was inferring....I agree with the problems of obesity (I admit I'm overweight and diabetic, type 2) but unless morbidly overweight, I worry that we're in the mode of "better living thru modern chemistry", and assume drugs can solve any problem.
It's not an assumption in this case. This class of drugs is proven in multiple studies to help people lose weight.

Years back, and currently, acetaminophen (Tylenol) overdose was treated with large amounts of a drug called acetylcysteine. The FDA approved use was for thinning respiratory secretions...commonly used in breathing treatments by respiratory therapists. Use for reducing/preventing liver damage in acetaminophen overdose was strictly 'off label' administration. Just one example of using a drug for a condition that it was not approved for. SInce then it has been approved by the FDA for acet. OD. If we were to abide by using drugs only in instances that had FDA approval many acetaminophen overdose patients would have unnecessarily died. This is just one example of perfectly ethical 'off label' use of drugs.

The glaucoma drops I use as a side effect cause eyelashes to grow thicker and longer. It is now marketed to women for that purpose even though most don’t have the disease.

Back