Oxygen Masks for Dogs

Ben E.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ben E.
So I'm leaning toward getting a turbo Mooney for my cross country flying needs and the only reason I'm hesitant is because I often fly with my dog Stella, a 2 year old black lab. The long trips I would make in the Mooney would be with my dog and would be at high altitude to take advantage of higher true air speeds. This dog is part of my family and I don't want to take any chances with her life. Given that, does anyone here have experience with and/or recommendations on using oxygen masks with their dogs at altitudes in the high teens and lower 20s?

I have no experience what-so-ever on this, but I can tell you that knowing my dog, I wouldn't attempt. No chance they leave that mask on.

I would just be flying at an altitude the dog(s) can handle without supplemental O2.

My guess is you would be okay up to 15k or so without. Dog might take a little nap. I don't think its feasible to put a dog on oxygen. Any higher and it might be harmful if the dog does some dog stuff, like chews the oxygen line while you aren't looking.

It's certainly a consideration. Physiologically the dog (assuming healthy) is going to be comparable to a human. I am unaware of anything that would allow supplemental oxygen to be given to the dog.

I think you can still do fine with the Turbo Mooney but you will probably find that with your dog you'll need to limit your altitude just as you would with a pax not on O2.

I sign a lot of health certificates for dogs that travel via air... and I insist they travel in the pressurized portion of the plane, and all major air carriers support this.

One thing you could do is to use a pulse ox on your dog. ear flap, foot web, tongue (for a really laid back dog) all work ok. Hair needs to be short and little rubbing alcohol helps too. You might need another pax to help out but that would give you an idea of the effects of each altitude. Go up to 9k / 12k / 15k and see what you find.

There are these products:

http://www.4pawsaviation.com/products/oxygen-hoods.php

oxygen-hoods-1.jpg

http://www.revivalanimal.com/produc...-8UNJFrLzcRkljhLo7vEmUZaUoBrpPHsaAjspEALw_wcB
22770-12.jpg

I haven't tried either, and I would personally be inclined to buy a pressurized airplane before I do.

There are these products:

http://www.4pawsaviation.com/products/oxygen-hoods.php

oxygen-hoods-1.jpg

http://www.revivalanimal.com/produc...-8UNJFrLzcRkljhLo7vEmUZaUoBrpPHsaAjspEALw_wcB
22770-12.jpg

I haven't tried either, and I would personally be inclined to buy a pressurized airplane before I do.

I've seen that first one before, but not the second one. Thanks for posting this. There's also this one: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/9353?gclid=CLDd8_mTkdUCFZWCswod8SUEcA

These are the types of products I'm looking for a PIREP on. I've done a lot of Google'ing and have found a few people with good experiences, but the more input the better. Wish I could afford a pressurized aircraft, but that isn't going to happen any time soon unfortunately.

I've seen that first one before, but not the second one. Thanks for posting this. There's also this one: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/9353?gclid=CLDd8_mTkdUCFZWCswod8SUEcA

These are the types of products I'm looking for a PIREP on. I've done a lot of Google'ing and have found a few people with good experiences, but the more input the better. Wish I could afford a pressurized aircraft, but that isn't going to happen any time soon unfortunately.
There's a photo at my vet's office of many dogs...My fave, of course, is the one with the dog in the O2 helmet (the "cone of shame" with clear plastic in the first pic above) riding in a Cirrus. Guess it just takes getting used to. The Aerox one reminds me of Hannibal Lecter. Haven't seen anyone use it.

The only thing I worry about with the over the head version is if you run out of O2 or the supply gets cut off and you don't notice...what happens then? I don't know anything about these products but I have thought about flights with my pup and I'm curious.

The only thing I worry about with the over the head version is if you run out of O2 or the supply gets cut off and you don't notice...what happens then? I don't know anything about these products but I have thought about flights with my pup and I'm curious.
None of them are air tight. If they were, the incoming air would explode the mask in no time. If there's no O2 then the same thing as happens as with a person. Sleepy time.

O2 for spam cans requires you pay attention to the levels for the users, people and pets. All the vendors for O2 units (such as Aerox and Mountain High) provide guestimates how long a tank will last based on altitude and number of users. Not highly accurate but it's a reasonable estimate. I forget the model/size of the tank I have but it lasts quite long, and living in Colorado with my normal cruise at 10-12k, it's fine. I routinely set it for 10k. If spending extensive time any higher, I turn the little knob a little higher. The meter and control is verynclose to the user, not the tank. I have the tank strapped to the back seat and the hose snakes along the top of the cabin to keep it out of the way.

For rough estimates, Aerox has a chart for # users at various altitudes including 18k.

Last edited:
None of them are air tight. If they were, the incoming air would explode the mask in no time. If there's no O2 then the same thing as happens as with a person. Sleepy time.

O2 for spam cans requires monitoring for the users, people and pets. All the vendors for O2 units (such as Aerox) provide guestimates how long a tank will last based on altitude and number of users. Not highly accurate but it's a reasonable estimate. I forget the model/size of the tank I have but it lasts quite long, and living in Colorado with my normal cruise at 10-12k, it's fine.
Just echoing Murphey, ya gotta monitor the O2. My system indicates O2 flow with color change gadgets.

It should be common sense but putting a pet in a pet taxi and flying with it in the flight levels in the non-pressurized areas will kill the pet for obvious reasons. However, it has happened, and I always mention to my clients to be certain of this before travel.

"Major air carriers" don't fly Mooneys.

Reading comprehension issues? I'm a veterinarian. I sign health certificates that are necessary for pets to travel by air. I always mention to my clients to be sure that whatever carrier they are using that the pet be transported in the pressurized portion of the plane. No they aren't going by Mooney but the point is that they will die if they're in the flight levels and not in pressurized environment. A concept that some people are oblivious to and therefor felt was a decent contribution to this post.

Reading comprehension issues? I'm a veterinarian. I sign health certificates that are necessary for pets to travel by air. I always mention to my clients to be sure that whatever carrier they are using that the pet be transported in the pressurized portion of the plane. No they aren't going by Mooney but the point is that they will die if they're in the flight levels and not in pressurized environment. A concept that some people are oblivious to and therefor felt was a decent contribution to this post.
I was responding to someone else's post, not yours.

Reading comprehension issues? ;)

We fly all over with our dog, I've investigated this thoroughly and spoken with the vet. I've come to the conclusion that: At what altitude would you fly with a kid who can't communicate to you about how they are feeling? For us that is 10-11K feet for any extended period of time. Since we fly in the west where 10-11k doesn't get you above the bumps in the mountains in the summer, guess who is looking at Aerostar 700s right now? :D

I'm healthy with an age that starts with a 3, and frankly at 12.5 it isn't the most pleasant thing to be doing for 3 or 4 hours, the increased heart rate and breathing rates are just not that pleasant, I tend to do o2d2 above 10.5 now for long hauls and it is a nice difference, and then a pressurized cabin of course is the ultimate solution to this problem.

Life would be a lot cheaper if I were single and pet-less. :D

We fly all over with our dog, I've investigated this thoroughly and spoken with the vet. I've come to the conclusion that: At what altitude would you fly with a kid who can't communicate to you about how they are feeling? For us that is 10-11K feet for any extended period of time. Since we fly in the west where 10-11k doesn't get you above the bumps in the mountains in the summer, guess who is looking at Aerostar 700s right now? :D

I'm healthy with an age that starts with a 3, and frankly at 12.5 it isn't the most pleasant thing to be doing for 3 or 4 hours, the increased heart rate and breathing rates are just not that pleasant, I tend to do o2d2 above 10.5 now for long hauls and it is a nice difference, and then a pressurized cabin of course is the ultimate solution to this problem.

Life would be a lot cheaper if I were single and pet-less. :D
As much as I love my dog (no need to discuss the $$$ I spent last week at the vet) he & I are much happier when he stays at the boarding kennel (with a fantastic daycare) when I leave town. We both get a vacation. Come to think of it, a few years ago when I went to Oshkosh, he stayed at the kennel. It was air conditioned, comfy bed, room service for meals, lots of furry and human friends to play with, cookies, etc. I stayed in the non-air conditioned dorm with typical dorm beds, had to go find food, etc. He got the better vacation, and his "hotel" was considerably cheaper than mine.

If only ours would do this, he is a rescue and while he loves humans, he hates other dogs, to the point he (really) physically attacks preemptively. We've tried to socialize him via a professional with a pack, etc, and it just doesn't seem to be in the cards, something happened in his past that is a real problem. So given his major issues with being kenneled / luxury dog hoteled (I mean we even have a mobile groomer come to the house due to these issues), we tend to either bring him along or have a house sitter look after him.

What's funny is when we take him to his vet appointments, "mysteriously" the lobby is empty of other dogs/clients, and then I popped in one day to pick up medication and the lobby was full of animals. So even the vet is providing special treatment!

We are adding to the family soon in the human category, so that in conjunction with the much beloved dog means I have gotten the "green-light" for a pressurized twin. I'm not complaining. :D

As much as I love my dog (no need to discuss the $$$ I spent last week at the vet) he & I are much happier when he stays at the boarding kennel (with a fantastic daycare) when I leave town. We both get a vacation. Come to think of it, a few years ago when I went to Oshkosh, he stayed at the kennel. It was air conditioned, comfy bed, room service for meals, lots of furry and human friends to play with, cookies, etc. I stayed in the non-air conditioned dorm with typical dorm beds, had to go find food, etc. He got the better vacation, and his "hotel" was considerably cheaper than mine.

Back