Oxygen levels

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
I've read a lot of threads on this and other boards about people using oxygen at altitudes lower than required, and using pulse oximeters to keep an eye on their oxygen levels. What I haven't seen is what the measured O2 levels should be above, or in other words at what level you should consider getting lower or turning on the bottle. I picked up one of the little fingertip oximeters and have been checking my levels when on longer, higher flights, but without knowing what those numbers are telling me it's not really of much use.

I'm also curious what numbers you usually see at 8/10/12k feet.

A pulse oximeter measure in %. 100% means your blood is being oxygenated at 100% of what it should be. Anything below 90% means you will eventually show signs of hypoxia. Below 80% and you're putting yourself at serious health risk. Not to mention you're not flying the airplane very well.

Last edited:
There are general guidelines but everyone is different. Overall health, smoker or not, altitude you spend most of your time, hobbies, etc.

For example, a runner has a completely different metabolism and O2 needs than a couch potato. Some who lives at higher altitudes may tolerate lower O2 levels because they're used to lower O2 levels.

It's also the CO level, not just the O2. Smokers at any altitude will not tolerate lower O2 levels.

http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/tab2-6.gif

I have heard anesthetists say they are taking action at 90% and freaking out at 85%.

That sounds about right I think. An anesthetized patient should "sat" at 100%. That is a VERY controlled environment. Most reasonably healthy people should sat 100% on room air any where near sea level.

Generally, when they get wheeled into my place of business, 90% SpO2 is where the nurse will make us stop until she/he gets it sorted out.

Last edited:
There are general guidelines but everyone is different. Overall health, smoker or not, altitude you spend most of your time, hobbies, etc.

For example, a runner has a completely different metabolism and O2 needs than a couch potato. Some who lives at higher altitudes may tolerate lower O2 levels because they're used to lower O2 levels.

It's also the CO level, not just the O2. Smokers at any altitude will not tolerate lower O2 levels.

Agreed..

I have lived at 6500msl for 25 years, my private airport is at 8000msl...

On long flights I try to stay between 85 -95%....

There's a difference in the anesthetists worrying about brain damage and being able to function in a high mental demand area like being pilot in command.

Oxygen is cheap. Get a decent system that will supply it for the duration of your flight and use it.

At 9000-9500' I see levels around 90%, I'm in decent shape, I flew with a guy that ran marathons, our O2 stats were identical, heart rates were elevated, but his was lower than mine because his resting heart rate is lower. I have one of those cans of O2, I jump back up to 98% within seconds after taking a couple of hits. If flying high, I would get a few, in case of emergency.

Must be individual variances as well.

Even when I was running marathons and cycling long distance, my numbers were always a tad low - about 95-96% typically. Karen's are always higher.

Not sure why.

I had O2 installed in my Cirrus, and I'd be happy anywhere over 90%.

Now, at 65, long flights above 7,000' or so are doable sans O2, but leave me exhausted the next day - so I try to avoid them unless there's a howling tailwind.

Last edited:
I've read a lot of threads on this and other boards about people using oxygen at altitudes lower than required, and using pulse oximeters to keep an eye on their oxygen levels. What I haven't seen is what the measured O2 levels should be above, or in other words at what level you should consider getting lower or turning on the bottle. I picked up one of the little fingertip oximeters and have been checking my levels when on longer, higher flights, but without knowing what those numbers are telling me it's not really of much use.

I'm also curious what numbers you usually see at 8/10/12k feet.

97% is a good result, 95% and you should increase O2, 92% on full flow and you need to start your way down until the number starts climbing. Pulse is anther thing to watch, it will go up with hypoxia.

Last edited:
Wouldn't let it go below 90% ,even on short flights.

Back