Owning your medical - NA version…

Doggtyred

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Ok gang.. Most who have followed me know I'm an inactive pilot, a career healthcare guy (paramedic, nurse and any day now will be a nurse practitioner) and a pretty regular contributor.

One of the things that is required of me as a nurse in my particular institution is an annual Tuberculin test (aka PPD), a screening test for tuberculosis. They take dead TB proteins, stick it under your skin and if you get a raised bump/rash (of specific minimum size and characteristics) at the site you are considered to have been exposed to TB at some point.

After twenty years of this business , I won the lottery. I had a positive PPD skin test. Could have been exposed at work.. could have been in NP school clinicals.. hell, could have been in public (albeit rare possibility)..,, its spread by close personal contact… not casual fleeting contact…

Now.. I've studied this stuff in the past and taken care of TB patients before and knew I didn't have much to actually worry about. I have a strong immune system. My follow on chest X-ray was negative for any signs of active disease, so I am considered to have LTBI… latent tuberculosis infection. I can go my whole life without ever having a problem, but IF I become immunosuppresed (go on chemo, have major illness, end up on certain medications if I develop rheumatoid arthritis…etc) then it COULD go from a latent to an active infection.

So.. even thought TB is a very slow growing bug, and I'm completely without symptoms, having only been found on an annual scheduled screening, I did my homework, went to the CDC website and pulled up the options for treatment. Typically, treatment for LTBI (IF you even opt for treatment) has traditionally been 9 months of twice weekly INH (Isoniazid) or 4 months of daily Rifampin. Both drugs have the potential for nasty side effects, including liver problems, and one must abstain from alcohol for the duration of treatment.

I looked and saw a new option, INH and a rifampin derivative called Rifapentene that is a once weekly 12 week course of medication that has recent literature affirming its non-inferiorority (i.e. just as good) compared to
traditional courses of meds. Its intended for Directly Observed Therapy, once a week. I then used my Sanford Antibiotic Guide (a medical resource I used in NP school, and will use moving forward) and determined the proper doses to seek. This option is relatively new, with published evidence just coming out in the past few years...

When I went to my primary doc, I went armed with the proper CDC websites pulled up on the iPad, a copy of my chest X-ray image on a disk, a copy of the radiologists report, and my return-to-work form. The doc encouraged me to explore treatment options, review side effects and decide if I did actually want to treat this presumed latent TB infection, and understand the risks involved. Explained that I had done so, and was opting to treat. She then offered the standard regimens. At this point I told her I had noticed a new regimen on the CDC website, and provided my tablet for her to peruse.

She quickly validated it with Up To Date, (which is one of THE best medical reference sites I've ever used, but its a costly one…. but its also available with short term pricing to the general public too, if you ever need it) and within a few minutes we'd worked out that I would do 12 weeks of once a week dosing, my baseline lab work was already on file from previous appointments, we talked about side effects that could indicate a chemical/drug induced hepatitis… and we both agreed that I did not need to present to her office for formal "directly observed therapy" where someone in her office watches me swallow my meds… Chapter 1 complete….

On to chapter 2…
The INH script was sent over electronically from the office. I was given a paper script for the Rifapentene. This clued me in that there might be a problem with getting the Rifapentene, that it might need to be special ordered, or something would pop up. Went to the pharmacy and dropped off the paper script. After a few minutes in the drive through window, the tech came back and said that they "had it generic" and could dispense "today"… I decided to get it "tomorrow" (I'm writing this several days later) and get my regular home meds all at the same time when they were ready for pickup…

…… something didn't sound right and so I asked her what the name of the generic was…. (because Rifapentene IS the generic name) and she told me the med was Mycobutin (which is actually a brand name)…

I drove off from the drive through and wasn't a few yards down the road when I flipped a U-turn, googled Mycobutin, and saw that while its in the same class as the desired med, its NOT Rifapentene. I then went to the walk up counter and asked to speak with the pharmacist…directly.. to clarify just what was going on. While mycobutin is in the same class and might be safe and possibly even just as effective, the regimen that I researched, sought out, obtained a prescription for was called out for by CDC, had been researched and validated. I was not going off label for something like this. If it was an authorized automatic substitution I wanted to know what the basis and evidence was for it, and could I get the ordered med without substitution….

Turns out the pharmacist had looked up the med by starting to type it, and when the generic name for the mycobutin pulled up he clicked it (few letters difference from what was desired, and the mycobutin was in stock, the desired med was not…. so… he zeroed in on the "close enough" med and selected it)… We got things sorted out, he found the right drug, he got it ordered, and its now in hand. And oh.. by the way… searching today and looking at dosing recommendations, the dosage they were about to provide of the WRONG drug was going to be 3 times the daily dose limit of what the WRONG drug should be. (900 mg versus 300 mg recommended max daily dose)

So.. not only did I avoid a med error (Wrong med)… I also avoided an overdose (wrong dose of wrong med)… And had I not done my homework, this would have been a single point of failure (the pharmacist).

Own your medical. You don't have to be a doctor or a nurse or a med student. But understand what medications do. Understand what they do to you, and understand what the safe doses of them are.

In 2010 after I read the ACA of 2010, I simply decided, "I am not going to do that". I quit.

In 2010 after I read the ACA of 2010, I simply decided, "I am not going to do that". I quit.

Dr. Bruce,

Is the issue Drs are having is the expanded Medicaid that will cause the issue! or the expanded number of people with the private insurance, via the exchanges?

That has never been clear to me.

It would seem that reducing the number of uninsured would be increased revenue (less bad debts) for the Drs.

At least Doctor Bruce could quit - there are many many docs, several of whom I know - who cannot quit without paying back HHS a significant penalty for part of a Medicare reimbursement bump they received . . . . indentured servitude is alive and well . . .

I'm fortunate that very close friend is an RN and her hubby is PhD pharmacologist and pilot. No matter what is prescribed, I check with them first. Comes in very handy.

I've found that the question," What would happen if I don't want the prescription?" is often quite enlightening. I don't fight with Docs, but I do ask politely.

I also check with the household nurse. I can think of more than once where she's said, " Why would they prescribe THAT?!" to family members on the phone.

Dr. Bruce,

Is the issue Drs are having is the expanded Medicaid that will cause the issue! or the expanded number of people with the private insurance, via the exchanges?

I am confused, what does the fact that the pharmacist made a mistake and the OP caught it have to do with ACA?

Dave, I wish I had more patients who were this prepared/engaged.

So.. not only did I avoid a med error (Wrong med)… I also avoided an overdose (wrong dose of wrong med)… And had I not done my homework, this would have been a single point of failure (the pharmacist).

Did the pharmacist recently have a son die of TB? Was he named Mr. Gower?

But seriously, good post. Doing your own research might be a fine line. I don't want to be the guy that says "I read on the internet.." and be completely off base, but it is important to know what's going on with your body and medications.

I will not do indentured servitude.
I will not serve a federal administration over the interests of my patient.
There were enough folks second guessing decisions. Let them do the care!

Did the pharmacist recently have a son die of TB? Was he named Mr. Gower?

But seriously, good post. Doing your own research might be a fine line. I don't want to be the guy that says "I read on the internet.." and be completely off base, but it is important to know what's going on with your body and medications.

There is a reason I had the CDC website pulled up and not something else.. And I actually had that discussion with her… about the patient who came in saying exactly that: "I read on the internet…"… And why I was not miffed whatsoever when she chose to validate through "up-to-date"..

What was informative was her approach… encouraging me to research the side effects, knowing the possible complications, and emphasizing that treatment at this stage was not required… She wasn't pushing the pills, and my approach while choosing treatment was that of a minimalist's approach.

Doc Bruce… like some others, I can't quite grasp what your feelings regarding the ACA have to do with my experiences (both good, with the MD, and bad, with the pharmacist, this week)… And normally you are hitting all cylinders.

Are you replying to someone in our kill-files?

There is a reason I had the CDC website pulled up and not something else.. And I actually had that discussion with her… about the patient who came in saying exactly that: "I read on the internet…"… And why I was not miffed whatsoever when she chose to validate through "up-to-date"..

What was informative was her approach… encouraging me to research the side effects, knowing the possible complications, and emphasizing that treatment at this stage was not required… She wasn't pushing the pills, and my approach while choosing treatment was that of a minimalist's approach.

Doc Bruce… like some others, I can't quite grasp what your feelings regarding the ACA have to do with my experiences (both good, with the MD, and bad, with the pharmacist, this week)… And normally you are hitting all cylinders.

Are you replying to someone in our kill-files?
It's like media self censorship.

Pharmacists are unwilling to fight battles with plan benefit managers. They just want paid. Doctors are unwilling to fight the same battles- they have overhead, and battling doesn't pay. ALL the incentives are wrong.

And on it goes.....

Last edited:
Family full of pharmacists who don't really think this way but whatever. Pharmacist made an honest mistake, OP caught it. You should ALWAYS check what meds you're given, know what they do, why they're being prescribed and why the dosage given is being used. I screwed this up myself to my own detriment despite qualifications in medical science and an abiding dislike of MDs (present company excepted of course).

I've caught a prescribing error once and an incipient drug allergy both times in my wife's treatment. I don't take any thing the fast-food docs (or more commonly NPs or Pas) she goes to without checking it. My wife is still alive and has use of her liver because I double checked the providers.

Family full of pharmacists who don't really think this way but whatever. Pharmacist made an honest mistake, OP caught it. You should ALWAYS check what meds you're given, know what they do, why they're being prescribed and why the dosage given is being used. I screwed this up myself to my own detriment despite qualifications in medical science and an abiding dislike of MDs (present company excepted of course).
So why the abiding dislike of MDs?

Cause everyone knows MDs are a bunch of chumps that couldn't hack lawschool.
Why does that make us unlikable chumps? Only a select few are smart enough for law school so why should that be held against us? Gotta do something for a living.

Why does that make us unlikable chumps? Only a select few are smart enough for law school so why should that be held against us? Gotta do something for a living.

Sorry, forgot to type joke disclaimer. Really meant as a joke and a slight to lawyers.:wink2:

I work at a college there are more PhDs than you can shake a stick at but I wouldn't trust 97.5% of them to change the oil in my truck.

I work at a college there are more PhDs than you can shake a stick at but I wouldn't trust 97.5% of them to change the oil in my truck.
Doubt that their PhDs are in auto mechanics. Just because someone is knowledgeable about one subject doesn't mean they know anything about something else.

Doubt that their PhDs are in auto mechanics. Just because someone is knowledgeable about one subject doesn't mean they know anything about something else.

Kinda my point. :) While the vast majority I know, and I know a lot, are wonderful and humble but there are always a few PhDs who never let you forget there are letters after their name.

Last edited:
there are always a few PhDs who never let you forget there are letters after their name.
Is that like a few pilots? :D

Actually it isn't something I notice too much one way or the other... or maybe I ignore it.

You shouldn't. They don't teach auto mechanics in graduate school.
Maybe not but when I was a grad student I was too poor to pay somebody to fix my vehicles. I maintained both my 71 Opel and my wife's 77 Chevy and rebuilt the engines for both of them. I even mastered the art of junkyard scavenging to get Opel parts that were no longer available new.

Last edited:
Ok gang..

Own your medical. You don't have to be a doctor or a nurse or a med student. But understand what medications do. Understand what they do to you, and understand what the safe doses of them are.
Thanks for sharing this experience and for sharing it at length. Very useful on many levels.

I'm sorry I read most (not all) of the responses. Time lost I can't get back but that's the way it goes here.

Maybe not but when I was a grad student I was too poor to pay somebody to fix my vehicles. I maintained both my 71 Opel and my wife's 77 Chevy and rebuilt the engines for both of them. I even mastered the art of junkyard scavenging to get Opel parts that were no longer available new.

I was too busy doing scientific experiments while in graduate school to do wholesale engine work. That's why I lived close to the lab.

I was too poor to eat, which is why I became a vegetarian (in case anyone was actually wondering).

I was too busy doing scientific experiments while in graduate school to do wholesale engine work. That's why I lived close to the lab.

I was too poor to eat, which is why I became a vegetarian (in case anyone was actually wondering).
No breaks. That's impressive. I does not take too long to rebuild the simple engines of the 70s, a few weeks part time. I'll admit that med school was tougher time wise.

No breaks. That's impressive. I does not take too long to rebuild the simple engines of the 70s, a few weeks part time. I'll admit that med school was tougher time wise.

My bikes were all so cheap that if one broke I'd just go get another, even as poor as I was.

My bikes were so cheap, one time bike thieves came through our apartment complex and thieved every bike there except mine, I assume because it was too ugly. I took one to Mexico and it failed to stand out. I had one that broke on positively every trip on which I took it. I was fixing it in the middle of Yosemite valley, no joke.

Those were good times.

Aaahh. I've been there. Research Career Development Award "RO-1". $15,000 stipend to live in the City of Chicago and be unpestered for 6 years. But that was Reagans' first zero line budget year for NIH: "Please reapply for year 2 of your six year grant in April".

Then there was the Teddy Kennedy hold up of the national budget, and the cutting of the budget by 20%. So now it was $12,000. So I resigned and went back to residency.

A-oles.

So why the abiding dislike of MDs?

Even better answer:

MD's made me:

crap gatorade
be anally probed
be unable to eat anything for a week due to said probing

pretty suckwad holiday all around, even if it wasn't mine.

Even better answer:

MD's made me:

crap gatorade
be anally probed
be unable to eat anything for a week due to said probing

pretty suckwad holiday all around, even if it wasn't mine.
Just doin our job.

Dah, but I am not doing that again ever!

Sounds a little childish.

It seems as you get older, the testing gets more unpleasant. At my age, I have been through a lot of unpleasant things. But I never held it against the Docs. I'm still here because of them.

If you're older, I'd say you've done well. If you're younger, I'd say "brace yourself".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back