Owning a pressurized plane

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
An acquaintance of ours is looking at buying a Cessna 210, and is looking at pressurized ones. What are the additional costs, complexities, and requirements that a P-210 would have over just a Turbo 210?

I would expect maintenance costs to be higher because of the pressure vessel and door seal. I would expect most modifications to have more expensive labor costs because of the pressure vessel. How much more expensive would these things be?

As far as requirements, I had expected the pilot would require a high-altitude endorsement, but I no longer think that. The T-210 I fly has an ostensible ceiling of 30K, but according to http://www.planecheck.com/cessna210.htm the ceiling on the P210N is only 23K.

What else am I missing?

pressurization controller, hoses, ducting, valves, windshield & windows (much more strict re scratches and chips) outflow valves, safety valves, leaks, etc.

An acquaintance of ours is looking at buying a Cessna 210, and is looking at pressurized ones. What are the additional costs, complexities, and requirements that a P-210 would have over just a Turbo 210?

I would expect maintenance costs to be higher because of the pressure vessel and door seal. I would expect most modifications to have more expensive labor costs because of the pressure vessel. How much more expensive would these things be?

As far as requirements, I had expected the pilot would require a high-altitude endorsement, but I no longer think that. The T-210 I fly has an ostensible ceiling of 30K, but according to http://www.planecheck.com/cessna210.htm the ceiling on the P210N is only 23K.

What else am I missing?

pressurization controller, hoses, ducting, valves, windshield & windows (much more strict re scratches and chips) outflow valves, safety valves, leaks, etc.

Pressurization can add a significant cooling load to the engine causing higher operating temps and faster wear. Door seals become much more critical. There are also "minor" issues like special (costly) requirements for antennas.

We evaluated both P & T, were buying new so wanted to be sure we didn't miss anything. P was a dog performance-wise, for the reasons you mention and more. Maintenance nightmares were rife among owners at the time. We opted for the T.

The one we had was a real PIG on the ground. Slow climb rate. Quiet and comfortable in the mid teens. Not happy above FL180 and hard to get down and keep temps up. Never seemed to have enough fuel to make long trips up high. Tires had short life - maybe pilot related and extra weight of plane.

That's a shame, because that's precisely where I'd think it would shine, since you wouldn't need masks.

Might have been just that one - One of our club members used to own a P210 and he said he was always cruising at 18 or 19.

Might have been just that one - One of our club members used to own a P210 and he said he was always cruising at 18 or 19.
Yeah, it's not like FL18 or 19 is particularly high. I can do that in my plane.

In what sense didn't that 210 like it? CHTs?

-Felix

For the small annual fee, he might join Cessna Pilots Association, where a number of P210 owners hang out and can offer further insights.

For the small annual fee, he might join Cessna Pilots Association, where a number of P210 owners hang out and can offer further insights.

Excellent suggestion. There is a ton of info on the CPA forums, and lots of people with experience.

Excellent suggestion. There is a ton of info on the CPA forums, and lots of people with experience.
We're members. Don't know why I didn't think to go check over there!:dunno:

I guess it's because this is such a great place I never want to leave!:D

Yeah, it's not like FL18 or 19 is particularly high. I can do that in my plane.

In what sense didn't that 210 like it? CHTs?

-Felix

Check the cabin altitude at max diff, then decide how high you would probably fly if you had one.

I may be partial, but he should consider a Malibu. Prices have dropped a lot on some of the early ships. Also, my kids need educational funds.

Kevin

I may be partial, but he should consider a Malibu. Prices have dropped a lot on some of the early ships. Also, my kids need educational funds.

Kevin
Ha! The guy who's selling the P210 in our neighborhood is buying a Matrix!

Back