Owner replaced VOR indicator

Can an owner legally replace a KI-208 VOR indicator in a certified aircraft (hot for hire)

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No

Votes: 21 95.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ilya

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lithium366
I often read on forums something like “remove and send [piece of an avionics] to an avionics shop” from what I assume these people later put them back. From what I understand FAR allows to remove and install panel mounted avionics with tray mounted connectors but how about VOR indicator? I ordered a replacement for my sticking KI-208 and the replacement is just as easy as disconnecting harness and unscrew 3 bolts. Doesn’t sound to me like a complex disassembly / assembly. Question: purely from a legal perspective can I replace it on my own and think of it as a preventive maintenance?
As a follow up - I am talking about certified single engine

Found an AC related to my own question and the answer is NO. Can’t post the link for the future reference as I am a new member

It’s already 0 to 8 so... ;)

In anticipation of the citation....because it needs to be attached behind the panel to other equipment, it's a no-no. Easiest rule of thumb - if it comes out the front of the panel, such as a slide-in radio, that's legal. I had to send my SL30 back to the shop...quick little hex screwdriver in the front, pull it out, pack it up, and away we go. Got it back, slid it back into the panel, got the screwdriver out, and back to flying. Plug & Play because all the wiring is already in place.

It's in FAR-43(A). front loaders only.

Of course these rules are from an agency that says you have to have a clock mounted in your panel to fly IFR...and says if your plane has an "experimental" sticker on it, then you can do more panel stuff and still use the same airspace as the rest of the "Certified" planes...

Why do you find the requirement for a clock an issue? Geez, these days every piece of avionics has a clock/timer in it.

Why do you find the requirement for a clock an issue? Geez, these days every piece of avionics has a clock/timer in it.

Check out the prices for a panel mounted clock vs. the clock on your Iphone/Ipad or any other $20 clock/timer you could velcro to your panel...and my point being that the agency making the rules that only and A&P can install certain avionics is the same agency that says only a panel mounted clock is an acceptable means of measuring time in IFR conditions. Same agency that says that Pilots have to have Biannual Flight review in order to be legal, but don't hold the same standard for the holder of an A&P certificate.

No piece of avionics in my plane has a built in clock/timer. I wanted to install one, and while I am certainly capable, according to the government I am not qualified.

I think what he means is that there are Clock functions in many forms. The timer in my 345 comes to mind and it’s panel mounted.

Back