Owner disassembly

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
I'm curious about a situation where a non-A&P owner disassembles components on his aircraft that he would not be rated to maintain and then has an A&P inspect, install and return to service said components. Is this legal?

If the A&P is williing to recertify the assembly, it's legal. But it's all on HIS ticket. Many would like to see you do it until they have the sense that you "do it right", no frustration force, etc....

I'm curious about a situation where a non-A&P owner disassembles components on his aircraft that he would not be rated to maintain and then has an A&P inspect, install and return to service said components. Is this legal?

I don't read the reg as denying you the right to disassemble anything on your aircraft. You just can't fly it again unless an A&P signs it off returning it to service.

I do this all the time. If you are you not competent at mechanics, don't do it. If you know what you're doing, the A&P will advise you if you mess up. For most/many things on aircraft, there are maintenance manuals which provide excellent guidance. The E series engine rebuild manual is a good example. Very clear, very visual, all specs laid out in a step by step format.

It's your airplane and you can take it apart all you want but when you remove the first component you have knowingly deemed the aircraft as being in an unairworthy condition until returned to service. You can even take that starter apart and rebuild it but the plane ain't gonna be RTS until you get the signature.

Anybody can make a plane UNairworthy :)

If it never got entered in the maintenance records it never happened.

It is absolutely kosher but find the A&P to work with you first as it is not a guarantee that every mechanic will work with everyone as stated above.

I personally am not mechanical at all. I screw up an oil change. But if I were mechanically inclined I would understand Tom's response.:)

If tree falls in the woods and no one hears, sees it, did it really happen? How can anyone prove it?

Back