Owner Assisted Aircraft Maintenance

dmac5356

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
<shameless plug> I have been receiving emails and phone calls from readers of my book with very favorable comments. People are finding it is saving them thousands of dollars on maintenance. If you order a copy, send me an email if you would like it signed. Web site highlighted in my sig (also available unsigned through Spruce, Amazon, and B&N).</shameless plug>

Dan, are you planning to make eBook or iBook textbook available any time soon?

+1 for wish to make it an iPad compatible book.

$20/hr for MX
$25/hr if you decide to provide your "tips"
$30/hr if you insist on helping

:D

$20/hr for MX
$25/hr if you decide to provide your "tips"
$30/hr if you insist on helping

:D

Those rates seem a bit low, although I get the point. I'd avoid mechanics that have that attitude.

In aviation you don't necessarily get what you pay for. :( The prior owner of my current Debonair paid $12,000 for his last annual at a big shop. It only took us 2 years to fix all they stuff they messed up. :yikes:

My most expensive annual has been $400, plus the supplies I bought ahead of time (oil, filters, alternator belt, brushes, points, etc). But I have only been flying for 34 years.

Dan, are you planning to make eBook or iBook textbook available any time soon?

I use Adobe InDesign, which is supposed to do the eBook conversion automatically - but it completely messes up the formatting. I started converting it to eBook format manually, and it was a nightmare. A text-only book would be easy, but this book has lots of graphics and photos. So for now it's on paper only.

I use Adobe InDesign, which is supposed to do the eBook conversion automatically - but it completely messes up the formatting. I started converting it to eBook format manually, and it was a nightmare. A text-only book would be easy, but this book has lots of graphics and photos. So for now it's on paper only.

I meant Apple textbook introduced couple days ago: http://www.apple.com/education/ibooks-textbooks/
That will allow you to include not only pictures but video clips and other multimedia stuff.

That would mean that anyone else who wants a paper version of the book would either be out of luck, or the author would have to maintain two distinct versions of the book. Apple iBooks cannot be sold outside of the Apple iBook format.

I'm not a lawyer and don't know how it works. Do you mean that if someone has a book he wrote and published as paper book and later converted to iBook textbook using the same text and pictures and added video clips, audio, 3D graphs and he cannot sell paper book anymore? I don't think so.
Otherwise I don't understand what is the problem here. As a software developer I know if I write application and want it to work for iOS, Android and Windows Phone I can use the same code for algorithms and will have to rewrite user interface part for each OS because those OS's are different. So the same goes to ebook. If you want to publish your ebook with all bells and whistles in iBook you have to work with Apple. Otherwise you can take your text and reformat it using other tools and publish it where you want.
Continuing application analogy Apple reserves rights to turn out your submission to keep unwanted apps out of App store. So far it worked quite well with only few exceptions. Will see how it works for iBooks.
I believe Dan's book along with many other books will be fantastic in iBook format and I as a customer I prefer this format over paper book. And this is what I'm asking. It is up to author to decide does he want to put some effort in converting his book to iBook.
P.S. sorry for thread highjacking. Jim, let's not make this thread "Greedy Evil Apple thread". We can always start new thread under "Hangar talk" for that purpose :)

iDevices display PDF's just fine... I'm not sure Apple's initiative to lock up books in their format won't backfire badly if authors can't publish the same information in other cross-platform formats.

Dan

I use inDesign for a number of multi-page newsletters. I've found it's not trivial but fairly straight forward once you figure out the magic trick. A local publisher explained the process to me. At first it seems stupid since you can export the entire document to PDF but for some reason, it just doesn't work.

1. Export each page to EPS - one step but it creates hundreds of pages of EPS files. Try one chapter at a time.
2. Use Adobe Distiller (comes with Acrobat Pro) and convert each EPS page to PDF.
3. Use Acrobat Pro to combine all the PDF files into a single chapter.
4. Then use AP againg to take all the chapter.PDF files into the book.

PM me if you want to chat about it further.

Dan

I use inDesign for a number of multi-page newsletters. I've found it's not trivial but fairly straight forward once you figure out the magic trick. A local publisher explained the process to me. At first it seems stupid since you can export the entire document to PDF but for some reason, it just doesn't work.

1. Export each page to EPS - one step but it creates hundreds of pages of EPS files. Try one chapter at a time.
2. Use Adobe Distiller (comes with Acrobat Pro) and convert each EPS page to PDF.
3. Use Acrobat Pro to combine all the PDF files into a single chapter.
4. Then use AP againg to take all the chapter.PDF files into the book.

PM me if you want to chat about it further.

I can convert to PDF easily (that's how I sent it to the printer). It's eBook format that has me stumped!

Back