ow.

is that the gear horn that is blaring all the way through the friggin' final?

How can anyone just ignore that?

is that the gear horn that is blaring all the way through the friggin' final?

How can anyone just ignore that?

That's the gear horn. Don't be so judgemental because it can happen to even high time pilots. All it takes is something out of the ordinary. I almost did it in the SNJ and I was wondering what the hell that horn was until I did my final gear check on short final. That's the only thing that saved me. Always, always,always do a final gear down check on final. Don

I have seen a couple similar vids (with obvious horn followed by unpleasant grinding sounds).
Wondering if recurrent training couldn't utilize a 'horn simulator' to heighten sensitivity to the sound!

Oh my gosh, please make that horrible noise stop!! Oh yes, that might require putting the GEAR DOWN!

GUMPS check, everytime, all the time.

That's the gear horn. Don't be so judgemental because it can happen to even high time pilots. All it takes is something out of the ordinary. I almost did it in the SNJ and I was wondering what the hell that horn was until I did my final gear check on short final. That's the only thing that saved me. Always, always,always do a final gear down check on final. Don

I mean, I'm not judgmental, I can't even fly complex planes yet. It's just that the thing is so loud, it was driving me crazy; I can't understand how it could be ignored in the cockpit.

Geez....................................

What amazes me is the person in the backseat filming the whole "event" took their sweet time in exiting the plane...
Personally I would have jumped out ASAP and then proceeded to crease the skull of that DUMB pilot with the camera...:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yikes::idea:

Personally I would have jumped out ASAP and then proceeded to crease the skull of that DUMB pilot with the camera

I believe he more than 'got them back' by filming the ultimate embarassment then posting it on youtube for the entire world to criticize.

Grey haired old Geezers.

Not so sure I buy into the 'age explanation' - young'uns have certainly had their share of goofups.
Didn't Sully have white hair?!

As noted above, one change from the normal practice and anything can happen, to any one of us. I have seen this phenomenon first-hand, when an unexpected traffic call right when I would have been cycling the gear caused me to miss doing the gear at all. Fortunately for me, it was on departure, and the consequence was doggy climb performance, but it's amazing how I completely missed it.

Indeed, we are all potential victims of this.

Yes, but the noise, the noise!

Speaking of which, so now we have the second time in a week that the 787's landing gear failed to deploy on a commercial flight. Whoa.

My instructor said he once had a student that was flying along on final with the Bonanza gear horn beeping. He suggested to her if she advanced the throttle slightly that sound would stop. She did.

You guys can throw all the rocks you want. No amount of training or experience will help when it is a out of the ordinary scenario. I have seen several very experienced pilots do it. Although the horn was loud in the video it looked like they were wearing ANR headsets that could have made it very faint to them. The time I almost did it I had over 400 retract time 200 in type and was very current. The final gear check saved me. Don

Yes, but the noise, the noise!

On the surface, I absolutely agree with you. It seems ridiculous that anyone could make such an error. That said, it is common, even by high-time pilots. The pilot who doesn't admit that he or she could make such an error should take a hard look at his or her flying. The reality is we're all susceptible to human factors - NTSB reports have shown time and time again that the pilot is the least reliable part of the plane.

Dave's thought of recurrent training might not be such a bad one. I've flown with a bunch of people in their complex aircraft. Upon failing their engine (with the throttle) the gear horn comes on. The response: "What's that?" If a pilot doesn't know what the noise is, it's relatively useless.

No amount of training or experience will help when it is a out of the ordinary scenario.

I respectfully disagree. One of my professors once said, "a deviation from the normal is the sign of a problem" and I teach all of my students to use this axiom to identify potential situations in which they could let their guard down or may have a hard time recognizing why something doesn't feel or sound right. The training one receives can significantly reduce the risk of gear up accidents even in abnormal situations. If you're trained to always complete a GUMPS check on final and guard against distractions during abnormal situations, it becomes instinctive to verify gear down before landing. This type of instinctive behavior is how we successfully deal with emergencies (memory items).

Training won't completely prevent gear ups but it can certainly help mitigate the threat. We are all human but it is our obligation as pilots to do as much as we can to prepare for these abnormal situations.

I didn't say training wouldn't help, I said even with training it can and does happen. That time I was on an unusually long final because of traffic and had done my final gumps check. I was gaining on the airplane in front of me and the tower told me to go around. As I throttled up and pulled the gear up the guy in front of me decided to go around and the tower re cleared me to land. So I motored on down with full flaps and gear up with the horn blowing in the background wondering why it was blowing. Caught it with my final gear check.
A guy was taking a type rating ride in a Convair 440 in Boise with the Fed in the right seat. Due to some confusion the gear didn't get put down and the airplane made real expensive noises on the runway. Don

engine teardown: $20,000
new prop: $8,000

Having your screwup appear on the internet:

priceless

Pre-occupied with being very high on final with what appeared to be a short runway from the slope they were flying in at.... OUCH. See the look of surprize on their faces as they looked at one another in disbelief!

As noted above, one change from the normal practice and anything can happen, to any one of us. I have seen this phenomenon first-hand, when an unexpected traffic call right when I would have been cycling the gear caused me to miss doing the gear at all. Fortunately for me, it was on departure, and the consequence was doggy climb performance, but it's amazing how I completely missed it.

Indeed, we are all potential victims of this.

There was a gear up here due to this, radio call distracted the pilot and the next thing he knows he's sitting on the runway.

Our Arrow was geared up because of a distracting x-wind that also caused them to carry sufficent power to the flare that the horn never sounded untill it was too late. They described it to me as horn, scrape, quiet and about that fast.

There was a gear up here due to this, radio call distracted the pilot and the next thing he knows he's sitting on the runway.

Our Arrow was geared up because of a distracting x-wind that also caused them to carry sufficent power to the flare that the horn never sounded untill it was too late. They described it to me as horn, scrape, quiet and about that fast.

Anyone notice the plane taxiing off at the last minute? Possibly distracted with the likelihood of a go around??

Can anyone translate what the guys said after the "event".....

Could they have known there was a gear failure and were expecting a gear up landing? The guy seemed pretty upset that his propeller blades were damaged but did not really check out anything else. Almost like he was mad that the blades did not stop spinning prior to touchdown.

the recovery video was as painful.

Hillbillies exist everywhere. However the fact that they weren't trying to simply extend the gear makes one wonder if maybe they had a problem extending in flight.

Then the looks of shock make you think that maybe they just forgot...
:dunno:

Any reason why, what with modern electronics, the gear up audio isn't simply a voice saying "Danger! Danger Will Robinson - landing gear is up!"

I've almost done it; mostly I've caught it with another GUMPS check; don't think the gear horn has ever prompted me, but has been a distraction several times when not needed.
The last time, I was keeping my speed up for jet traffic behind. Now, if I don't lower the gear to go down, I keep my hand on the gear switch until I do lower it.

Best,

Dave

What's amazing to me is that at that steep descent angle they were able to maintain anything close to a decent approach speed even with flaps, with the gear up. Must be a pretty draggy airframe.

I would have been thinking of gear down just to get down.

Back in my Air Force Days, a C-5 crew kept "clearing" the gear warning horn while doing missed approaches. On the last one they decided to land. No problem though. It just took full power to taxi back to the ramp!

Copilot...didn't you get the gear down
Pilot....no
Copilot...I thought we were going too fast,too fast
CoPilot.... We were preoccupied with the plane ahead
Pilot...yeah,yeah
Copilot ....I didn't notice it either (no gear down)

On the approach, you can see the other plane on the runway, moving slowly up the slope. The displaced threshold, one plane still on the active, high and fast approach....lots of added pressure.

The runway is about 1200ft long (after the DT)
Here is another view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DXPAgUAGGs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Pilot....no
Pilot...yeah,yeah

On the approach, you can see the other plane on the runway, moving slowly up the slope. The displaced threshold, one plane still on the active, high and fast approach....lots of added pressure.

The runway is about 1200 ft long after the displaced threshold

Last edited:
Anyone notice the plane taxiing off at the last minute? Possibly distracted with the likelihood of a go around??

Pilot....no
Pilot...yeah,yeah

The runway is about 1200 ft long after the displaced threshold

Guess I got one right.

I think he is talking about how great he is as a pilot like many great French aviators before him. Do they even have a pilot's test?

In four years in the Air Force I witnessed 4 inadvertent gear up landings. Two F-4’s one F-100 and a Navy A-6. They were all high time pilots who got preoccupied with something else. Makes the aircraft very hard to taxi. When the S hits the fan it’s been my experience that people don’t rise to the occasion, they sink to their level of training.

engine teardown: $20,000
new prop: $8,000

Having your screwup appear on the internet:

priceless

The Engine must have the AD complied with that is all that is required. $20,000 overhaul? YGTBOOYM

Back