ow.

engine teardown: $20,000
new prop: $8,000

Having your screwup appear on the internet:

priceless

That happened in Switzerland, a few years ago. It's been on the internet for a while.

Under their rules that engine must be replaced.

The Engine must have the AD complied with that is all that is required. $20,000 overhaul? YGTBOOYM

Some insurance companies spring for the full overhaul to limit downstream liability.

Anyone notice the chubby guy was wearing shorts with short sleeves and the other guy was bundled up with a scarf around his neck? Didn't they just come from the same place? And I counted the chubby guy touching the prop 13 times in the video as if THAT had anything to do with them landing left of center... I mean forgetting to put the gear down.

Geezers.

Grey haired old Geezers.

Probably never heard it.

So there are three old pilots sitting on a bench at the airport watching the planes fly. The old timer sitting on the right looks at his buddy and says "It is windy." The one in the middle says "No it's Thursday." The last guys says "Yeah, I'm thirsty too. Lets get a beer."

I wonder if there are any statistics that show an increase in gear up landings since headsets became the norm and then when ANR became more prevalent. :dunno:

Maybe the gear horn and even the stall horn should be piped to the audio panel and always be audible in the headsets.

One thing I like about the Johnson bar in the Mooney is its a big thing and moving it is a bit of an event. I could forget it, but it wouldn't be easy. At that point I can't imagine getting the thing slowed down enough to land without the gear down.

Maybe he'd been trying to sell the plane for a while, and decided to "sell" it to the insurance company. It's not unheard of.

There was a USAF C-5 Galaxy crew that did the same thing back in the 80's... Only trouble with a C-5 gear up landing? It take full thrust to taxi to the parking area...

Some insurance companies spring for the full overhaul to limit downstream liability.

the insurance company policy's don't have much effect on the government rules.

Yes, caused by being distracted by something else. SAVED by checking the gear on short final, NO MATTER WHAT!!!! Whatever you do, do a gear check on short final, ALWAYS! It has saved many...

Just a speculation, but they appeared to be diving for it.

I wonder if that's their normal procedure, in which case the gear alarm would be going off normally for every descent.

It's very possible to train yourself to ignore an alarm. To try to prevent this, I follow a rule that if the gear alarm goes off, the gear goes down, period. Very limited exceptions for simulated emergencies briefed ahead of time.

JIt's very possible to train yourself to ignore an alarm. To try to prevent this, I follow a rule that if the gear alarm goes off, the gear goes down, period. Very limited exceptions for simulated emergencies briefed ahead of time.

I would, but I normally pull the throttle past the point where the gear alarm comes on just to get down to gear speed. If I don't, the only way I can slow the thing down is to pull the nose up, which I don't like to do near airports for obvious reasons.

Don't want to gear up the aircraft, but don't want to drop the gear about the gear speed either.

Any reason why, what with modern electronics, the gear up audio isn't simply a voice saying "Danger! Danger Will Robinson - landing gear is up!"

FAR Part 23.

But not in France, of course. They certainly have an equally antiquated standard that prevents safety innovation.

Just a speculation, but they appeared to be diving for it.

I wonder if that's their normal procedure, in which case the gear alarm would be going off normally for every descent.

It's very possible to train yourself to ignore an alarm. To try to prevent this, I follow a rule that if the gear alarm goes off, the gear goes down, period. Very limited exceptions for simulated emergencies briefed ahead of time.

That's what made me nervous on the commercial steep spiral -- it's blaring the whole time. And sometimes we'd combine the maneuver with a power off 180. There was a short window to remember to put the gear down...and it gave me the willies every time!

Looking at that approach angle, I'd say they fared better than I would have guessed.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

That is why I have no desire to fly a retract (and probably why Cirrus and the Cessna 400 are both fixed gear). I know a lot of you will say there is no way you would ever do that (land gear up), and maybe you won't. I know I won't because my gear is down and welded. :)

"A man's got to know his limitations."

That is why I have no desire to fly a retract (and probably why Cirrus and the Cessna 400 are both fixed gear). I know a lot of you will say there is no way you would ever do that (land gear up), and maybe you won't. I know I won't because my gear is down and welded. :)

There are those that have,
Those that will, and
those that will again..... :lol::lol:

Pre-occupied with being very high on final with what appeared to be a short runway from the slope they were flying in at.... OUCH. See the look of surprize on their faces as they looked at one another in disbelief!

I was watching with audio off(at work), thinking that with that topography, I would have waved that off in favor of a lower and slower approach. But then, since I'd read the thread title I already knew it wouldn't end well. Who know how I would've done myself.

Last edited:
Back