Overspray

Use Collenite Insulator Wax to clean your windshield and the overspray doesn't stick, plus no streaks and no smears.

I would hope FSDOs would be interested in repair stations doing damage to aircraft and subpar work.

I mean if they have time to ramp check lil GA planes, Id hope they would pay attention to the shops which touch far more of the airspace system than grandpa in his Cub.

I would hope FSDOs would be interested in repair stations doing damage to aircraft and subpar work.

I mean if they have time to ramp check lil GA planes, Id hope they would pay attention to the shops which touch far more of the airspace system than grandpa in his Cub.

What affect on airworthiness does overspray have? When you consider the FAA has to police the airlines in public commerce with Strict Liability threatening the insurance/financial industry, how much tightly budgeted resource do you expect to be put into this?

OK, so which regulations has this "repair station" violated? Are you claiming that the "damage" to the airframe has rendered the aircraft unairworthy?

Again, which regulation has been violated? You are trying to compare this to a ramp check (not even close). A ramp check is performed for regulatory compliance.

As far as I know, there are no regulations prohibiting over spray of paint on an aircraft surface, nor is there a regulation against sloppy painting. :rolleyes:

Let me ask you this, would you support the FAA in adding regulations to Part 43 detailing the scope and procedures for all aircraft painting?

Last edited:
It's just common sense really.

Probably not the only place where there is slop. If a house has one broken window....

I'd say overspray on a windshield isn't good, not like overspray on a elevator or wheel pant. I clean bugs and smudges off my windshield before flight for a reason.

Maybe a inspection would be in order, maybe mention that the shop might want to pay more attention else the FSDO will pay more attention to them.

It's just common sense really.

Not really.

Probably not the only place where there is slop. If a house has one broken window....

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know the name of the business or anything about it except what was posted here. Could be a bad employee on his first job for the company, or maybe they have a history of being sloppy. :dunno:

I'd say overspray on a windshield isn't good, not like overspray on a elevator or wheel pant. I clean bugs and smudges off my windshield before flight for a reason.

I didn't say it was good, but it is far from making the aircraft unairworthy, nor is it a violation of a regulation.

Maybe a inspection would be in order, maybe mention that the shop might want to pay more attention else the FSDO will pay more attention to them.

I believe in voting with my $$$. If the shop is putting out sub par or sloppy work, go somewhere else.

However, trying to use the FSDO in an instance such as over spray on a windshield is futile at best.

So, going to the FSDO in a case such as this accomplishes what? :dunno:

Yep.

This kind of thing is why you always give the airplane a thorough inspection before you pay for work.

If it goes sideways, you have leverage. If the shop won't make things right, you have the court system.

...Maybe, maybe not. I don't know the name of the business or anything about it except what was posted here. Could be a bad employee on his first job for the company, or maybe they have a history of being sloppy...

So not worth doing a inspection over eh?

However me sitting on the ramp by a very nice Caravan, not doing anything wrong, not looking like I'm doing anything wrong, that's a invite to ramp check me, waist my time and dig into my info.

...but a shop which has demonstrated sloppy work and a lack of professionalism, bah no worries mate!

The joke that is the FAA.

However me sitting on the ramp by a very nice Caravan, not doing anything wrong, not looking like I'm doing anything wrong, that's a invite to ramp check me, waist my time and dig into my info.

...but a shop which has demonstrated sloppy work and a lack of professionalism, bah no worries mate!

Life is full of injustices, but this is not one of them. Leave the FAA out of it and learn how to clean your windscreen. It take a few hours, but you will love the results.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/Micromesh.php

Again, please cite a regulation that has been broken or violated in this discussion? :dunno:

You want an inspection done on a facility because the company over sprayed a window. You want the FAA to send over Inspectors, go through records, go through the facility and do surveillance of employees performing their job function.

Really??? :rolleyes2: :nonod:

So someone goes to the FSDO to get an airworthiness certificate replaced on their airplane. They walk in to the desk and ask for an Airworthiness Inspector.

"Sorry, there are no AW Inspectors in the office today"

"What?" "But I need to get this certificate so I can fly my friends this weekend!"

"Sorry, out Inspectors are out at Joe's Airplane Shop doing a full inspection of the facility, seems someone was real unhappy that the mechanic left greasy hand prints on their fine Corinthian leather interior."
"We need to do a full detailed inspection of this facility to insure they didn't make any other mistakes as well."

"But when will I get my AW certificate replaced???"

"Come back in two weeks, we have 5 other inspections of facilities to follow, seems one shop didn't fill the tires with the proper amount of air, another shop left a screw out of an inspection panel, then we had another shop that oversprayed some paint."

"You send Inspection Teams out over that stuff?"

"Why yes, leave no stone unturned!" "I mean, let's be real, if they did something like that, what else did they do wrong??"

However me sitting on the ramp by a very nice Caravan, not doing anything wrong, not looking like I'm doing anything wrong, that's a invite to waist my time and dig into my info.

Oh geez.........:rolleyes2:

AGAIN, Please tell us what regulations have been violated here. :dunno:

Seriously, do you understand regulatory compliance and enforcement and the concepts within?

No, the FAA is doing their job. It's people such as yourself wanting to use them for vindication.

You want the FAA to send over Inspectors, go through records, go through the facility and do surveillance of employees performing their job function.

Really??? :rolleyes2: :nonod:

Is that not the same as when the FAA ramp checks someone who isn't doing anything sketchy, or even has his engine running?

But a shop which has clearly demonstrated slop in their work isn't worth their time :nono:

Can't have it both ways bud

How about lay off the ramp checks and go take a looksie at the unprofessional shops and shade tree bums who paint windscreens.

Or just trade off every month, ramp check for grandpa in January, flowing up on unprofessional shops/operators in February.

Or just sit at your desk and stamp out new airworthy cents and drink coffee :rofl:

I was under the impression that it is the JOB of the FAA to keep aviation safe, I believe sloppy shops would fall under that :dunno:

Over spray on a windscreen is not going to be high on their priority. This is not the "hill you want to die on". Talk to the shop, fix your wind screen and move on.

Is that not the same as when the FAA ramp checks someone who isn't doing anything sketchy, or even has his engine running?

Let me clue you in on ramp checks James. Back when I was an Inspector, my work program had a grand total of 5 planned Part 91 ramp checks in it....For the entire year!

There were 6 Ops Inspectors in our office, so for our district that was a total of 30 ramp checks for the whole year, for the whole district. Probably amounted to .0001% of all Part 91 operations.

Most Inspectors would do a part 91 ramp check in conjunction with another inspection because under the work program they simply don't have the time to spend on them.

But a shop which has clearly demonstrated slop in their work isn't worth their time :nono:

AGAIN! Please tell us what regulations this shop violated?? Just one? :dunno:

Can't have it both ways bud

You are crying about how intrusive ramp checks are, but yet you want heightened surveillance on a shop that hasn't violated any regulations. :dunno:

You seem to want it both ways.

How about lay off the ramp checks and go take a looksie at the unprofessional shops and shade tree bums who paint windscreens.

Or just trade off every month, ramp check for grandpa in January, flowing up on unprofessional shops/operators in February.

See above on ramp checks. :nonod: :rolleyes2:

Are you standing next to the Caravan on behalf of a commercial operation? Because that's their main job.:dunno: This complaint is meant to be regulated through the tort system.

We had one about every year, commercial pt 91.

Just in my experience I've seen more shady stuff come from shops than the flight line.

We had one about every year, commercial pt 91.

Just in my experience I've seen more shady stuff come from shops than the flight line.

It has to do with potential losses, GA is very limited in loss potential. Air-carrier ops have a near unlimited loss potential with Strict Liability applied. Our government is geared to protect the big money.

Much to the contradiction of those that don't know better:

Meguiar's
Maybe this will help: clay was designed to do just one thing very effectively: remove above surface bonded contaminants that make the paint feel rough to the touch. Clay does this through a mildly abrasive process, quickly shaving down those contaminants and then holding on to the particulate so that, in tandem with the spray lube, they don't interact with the paint. Extremely light contaminants can and will be removed with a compounding process, but trying to remove even moderate contaminants with that method only serves to slow down the compounding or polishing process, and it introduces an uncontrolled abrasive - the contaminants removed - to the mix, which can result in a less than optimum finish and potentially the need to do a secondary pass when you might not have had to.

+1 for clay bar to remove overspray on the windscreen.

I noticed at least a couple of those posters from years ago are gone.

Crazy what folks will argue about.

Back