Overrun at Teterboro

Nice to see an EMAS save!!!

What I've never read about is how do they get an aircraft OUT of an EMAS bed? Do they lift it? Remove material and pull it out?

Last edited:
Ditto that it's nice to see the EMAS system working. Wonder how difficult it is to "restock" it?

Also wonder at the cause of this. Perhaps an underlying mechanical problem. Don't know how the operator calculates the required runway length and if credit is given for reversers or not (or did the SWA MDW overrun do away with folk using reversers to qualify for shorter runways?).

Tim, our data for the C-20(Mil version of the GIII) do not take into account T/Rs for takeoff or landing.

With Luck Gary Mascelli will chime in. Gary is an engineer based at ILG where they just installed an EMAS system. He is quite knowlegeable about it.

Nice save by the EMAS.

20101001jetDPP_tmb0001_20101001155054_640_480.JPG

I wonder what it felt like to decel like that, and how many Gs were involved. Obviously better than the alternative, but I get some seatbelts got strained.

Glad this stuff was there and I am not saying that it shouldn't be used. But what is the damage to the gear of the plane that goes through it?

Glad this stuff was there and I am not saying that it shouldn't be used. But what is the damage to the gear of the plane that goes through it?

Probably not as much as you would think. It is a heck of a lot less than if the stuff wasn't there and they went over the meadow and through the woods and ripped the gear clear out.

I wonder what it felt like to decel like that, and how many Gs were involved. Obviously better than the alternative, but I get some seatbelts got strained.

Probably not. I doubt they were going all that fast when they hit the stuff.

Or the engines, if any of that debris "loosened up by the wheels" gets ingested.

Those concrete blocks each cost north of $1,000... That's a lot of cash to replace this busted concrete. Compared to losing the aircraft, though...

...or the lawsuits associated with a fueled jet skidding across a highway...

city: Teterboro
keywords: overrun
Results:

Attachments

• overrun plus teterboro.JPG
    overrun plus teterboro.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 43
I *think* it was either How It's Made or Factory Made that "chronicled" EMAS and they talked about a crane lowering replacements into place.

!TEB 10/005 (KTEB A1697/10) TEB RWY 6 EMAS NONSTD

...from the NOTAMS.

I *think* it was either How It's Made or Factory Made that "chronicled" EMAS and they talked about a crane lowering replacements into place.

They can save on the crane fee as it will take one to remove that plane. Just have more blocks ready to set and they can pull off a double. But.... it is NJ so the unions will probably require the crane to remove the plane, then leave, and then come back and re set up for setting new blocks. :incazzato:

:idea:

Back