Overnight between Lincoln, NE and Airventure

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I'm going to be departing Crete NE around 10pm tonight to work my way towards Airventure in the Flybaby. Any idea where I can stop, preferably past Iowa, where I could put up a tent and find a place to plug my battery chargers into?

Might just have to ask for forgiveness in the morning.

Well 63c NW of Madison, WI has a 24 hr ops building, with power, and allows camping on the field. By the time you get there it may almost be light.

How about leave at 0300 or so and inch your way right into Oshkosh?

Well 63c NW of Madison, WI has a 24 hr ops building, with power, and allows camping on the field. By the time you get there it may almost be light.

How about leave at 0300 or so and inch your way right into Oshkosh?

Taking longer to get back to Nebraska than I expected because of flight delays, so that's likely what I'll be doing. I can sleep in my hangar and takeoff before sunup. Haven't really looked at weather yet.

There are some hellacious LL winds out there today too. I had 45kts on my tail today at 5500ft.

The weather tomorrow looks great, North wind mid day. The winds aloft are about all NW from NE, no real help or great hindrance.

Current plan is something like this.. Leaving around 3am. The challenge though is going to be conserving enough energy in my battery to ensure I still have enough juice to run my radio when I get to airventure. Night flight is pretty hard on my battery.

I may skip the stop in the dells, not sure, depends how I'm doing on fuel. I wouldn't want to arrive at rippon with less than two and a half hours in the tank.
okQCeJM.jpg

Ouch. The blue dot says get in a car and drive it :)

THose ground speed numbers are a trip.

Of course, your Fly Baby is faster than my Bo, just now!

I made it in about eight hours, departed at about 3:10am local, was looking at 60 knot groundspeeds the whole way. Weather was good and a non issue other than some ground fog at sunrise that I just flew over.

Last edited:
Back