Overhaul or upgrade, what to do?

What should I do with 77C?

• Overhaul the existing engine (cheapest)

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Upgrade to the Frankilin 180 (not quite as cheap)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Upgrade to the Franklin 220 (less so)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Bite the bullet, get a loan, upgrade to the Lycoming

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Cut my losses, eat $20k sell as-is and start over with something new.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This work ended up being a great running F-165 that is for sale now.

your Stinson came from the factory with the 165 heavy case, they were great engines and have good support from several parts collectors and and after market suppliers.

Tom,

I TOO just found this thread while searching Franklin Engines. I am in the market for an airplane (14 year GA pilot, first purchase) and was looking at 172's and piper 160's / 180's when a cousin of mine who is a retired AA pilot steered me towards looking at a Stinson. I LOVE EM! Now here is the thing, I dont know ANYTHING about Franklin Engines, how hard they are to overhaul (found one I LOVE but its got 1400 SMOH, what is the TBO on these), and how MUCH they are to overhaul. Can you answer some of these questions or me? THANKS!

And yes Im brand new to the site, just getting back into flying after a 12 year break. So this is my first post! Thanks for letting it be here. lol

Tom,

I TOO just found this thread while searching Franklin Engines. I am in the market for an airplane (14 year GA pilot, first purchase) and was looking at 172's and piper 160's / 180's when a cousin of mine who is a retired AA pilot steered me towards looking at a Stinson. I LOVE EM! Now here is the thing, I dont know ANYTHING about Franklin Engines, how hard they are to overhaul (found one I LOVE but its got 1400 SMOH, what is the TBO on these), and how MUCH they are to overhaul. Can you answer some of these questions or me? THANKS!

You have two options with a Franklin 165/150

the first is you never allow it to fail. you disassemble inspect, and repair as required before it destroys its self.

You allow it to fail and upgrade.

Susan Prall runs a company called Franklin engine company, search it and get her opinion on part availability.

Back