Overfly Canada As Part Of US Trip - How?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
If wx holds up I am planning to fly up to KINL (International Falls, MN). I have no intent to land in Canada but would like to fly north a bit (eg 20 miles). Partly to see the sights. Partly to say I've flown north of the border. Do I just ask ATC for a handoff to Canadian ATC while on Flight Following?

I will be using flight following. Have ADSB out and valid 3rd class medical. Do not plan on filing a VFR flight plan.

Is it that simple?

Jeez... no flight plan ... hazardous attitude

I think you’re required to be on an active flight plan before crossing the border. Flight following doesn’t count. I don’t know if the other requirements apply if you will not land in Canada. Things like a customs decal, eAPIS filing, calling 888-CAN-PASS, etc.

You need to be on an active VFR or IFR flight plan when the flight crosses the border.
Unless you land outside of the US, there is no Customs notification requirement by eAPIS or phone.
ADIZ rules apply on the southern border, but there is no ADIZ on the US/Canada border. So no DVFR flight plan needed there.

See AIM 5-6-5
Civil Aircraft Operations To or From U.S. Territorial Airspace
  1. Civil aircraft, except as described in subparagraph 5-6-5b below, are authorized to operate to or from U.S. territorial airspace if in compliance with all of the following conditions:
    1. File and are on an active flight plan (IFR, VFR, or DVFR);
    2. Are equipped with an operational transponder with altitude reporting capability, and continuously squawk an ATC assigned transponder code;
    3. Maintain two-way radio communications with ATC;
    4. Comply with all other applicable ADIZ requirements described in paragraph 5-6-4 and any other national security requirements in paragraph 5-6-2;
    5. Comply with all applicable U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) requirements, including Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) requirements (see subparagraph 5-6-5c below for CBP APIS information), in accordance with 19 CFR Part 122, Air Commerce Regulations; ... etc
Jon

Flew to KINL in 2012 or so when I was building time for my IR.

Totally unplanned but we flew across the border for a little bit. ATC gave us a squawk code and told us not to worry too much. But we were not too far north of the border either, so that might make a difference.

Staff at the FBO is awesome. And the "Chocolate Moose" has some decent food...

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice!

We were "that close"...but didnt make it there today :).

About 40 miles out I was having troubles finding a hole to get down thru safely. Plus their awos was calling out ceilings 1300. So aborted and diverted back to Grand Rapids.

I filed a VFR flight plan...which felt almost strange after 2yrs of not doing one! Was also on flight following. So other than telling ATC my intentions I think I was good to go.

The other reason to abort is that it would have been scud running instead of sight seeing up over Rainy Lake so crossing the border for bragging rights or scenery would have just added risk.

Having a IR today would have helped get me in and back out though! But it wouldn't have helped with any sight seeing

So learned a lot today! I'll call it a 97% success. It was hard to make the call to divert. But my passenger was 100% good with the abort which sure helped.

Canada...another day!

If you want Canada for 1 1/2 to 2 hours worth, fly on an IFR or VFR flight plan from Buffalo to Michigan, or the reverse. If it’s VMC, lots of North of the border sightseeing, and you also get Niagara Falls.

Second the recommendation on the Buffalo to Michigan route. File IFR AND LET ATC do the work.

Back