overdue aircraft

JBrown243

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
When is an aircraft considered overdue? NTSB 830 requires immediate notification if;
"An aircraft is overdue and is believed to have been in an accident" (830.5)

What is "overdue"? Does this only apply if there is a flight plan?

30 mins by flight plan & 1 hr from a reliable source without a flight plan.

From my experience, for a flight with a flight plan, they'll call the destination airport shortly after 30 minutes and ask if the plane has arrived, or call the number on the flight plan.

Last edited:
is this in the FAR/AIM somewhere?

Ah not that I know of. My reference was the 7110.10W Ch8 (SAR). The 30 min / 1 hr rule is a basic description. If you read the reference you'll see a more detailed description.

Ironically, I actually got that question wrong on my Baseops test in ATC school. :(

On my first dual XC, for the return trip I miscalculated and they called looking for us as we we taxiing in. I found out when I called to close the flight plan. They called right at the 30 minute late mark.

Last edited:
On my first dual XC, for the return trip I miscalculated and they called looking for us as we we taxiing in. I found joust when I called to close the flight plan. They called right at the 30 minute late mark.

I had a similar experience, but my phone started ringing on short final :eek:

I had a similar experience, but my phone started ringing on short final :eek:

That's happened to me (I admit) more than once. These days I am get on the radio and call up flightwatch or someone else in the air if the actual time will extend more than 20 or so minutes beyond my plan's time enroute.

In addition, the new system LMFS has set up lets you get automatic email and sms notifications, and includes the ability to open (EasyActivate service) and close (EasyClose service) the flight plan by clicking a link in the email they send, right from your phone or computer.

They've automated a lot. When I call in to 800-WX-BRIEF now, my cell phone's Caller ID causes my profile (plane and pilot) to pre-load in their computer system. I've signed up at https://www.lmfsweb.afss.com/Website/ so my profile info (Account>Profile and Preferences, then fill out each section) includes all the alerts (I set up email and text message options), aircraft, pilot etc. information their system uses.

First off, once a flight plan is on file (phone or electronically) I get an email with a link that allows me to activate The flight plan up to two hours after the ETD, which is nice when your departure time changes but the time enroute is still the same. You'll see a confirmation message that you successfully activated it (and if you don't see the message, it's not active).

You'll also get a email with a link you can click to close your flight plan once on the ground. This is the first automated helpful hint to prevent some of us from forgetting to close our flight plans. Lockheed Martin Flight Service will initiate Search & Rescue procedures (meaning they start making the phone calls to you, your home airport, destination airport, etc) if your flight plan has not been closed at the 30 minute mark past your ETA.

If you go past the 30 minute time, yet another email and TXT gets sent reminding you to close or extend your flight plan. A helpful reminder when you forget to close the plan, to be sure. At just about that same time, your phone should start ringing - It will LMFS calling you to see if you''re okay.

Other services are offered, as well. On my last flight under a VFR flight plan, I got weather alerts (adverse conditions) for my route of flight while in the air. And yes, I got the "hey, you're late" text message, too:

6245: DO NOT REPLY afss.com LM Flt Svcs Adv Cond Alert--AIRMET MTNOBSC--N639MR S03 190125 7S3--Call Flt Svcs 1-800-992-7433 7:50 PM

6245: DO NOT REPLY afss.com N639MR CLOSE FLIGHT PLAN OR EXTEND ETA 9:00 PM

Anyhow, all useful and relatively new stuff. And you don't *have* to open and close with the email links they send, you can still call them. I find the combination of automated services and the real-person briefings on the phone to be a great combo. It's just another option and a pretty useful set of tools.

From my experience, for a flight with a flight plan, they'll call the destination airport shortly after 30 minutes and ask if the plane has arrived, or call the number on the flight plan.

In my case, I landed and called FSS and closed the flight plan. The next day when I called to activate the return leg, FSS informed me the previous one was still "open". I indicated I had closed it ... and if it was still open, why was I not called or SAR dispatched ... no response ... then, "your current flight plan is now active, have a good day, click".

In my case, I landed and called FSS and closed the flight plan. The next day when I called to activate the return leg, FSS informed me the previous one was still "open". I indicated I had closed it ... and if it was still open, why was I not called or SAR dispatched ... no response ... then, "your current flight plan is now active, have a good day, click".

Uh oh. You went off-script. Haha.

Back