Over Chicago IFR

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
looks like my flight tomorrow will take me over the bravo. how high does chicago approach control? Ill probably be at 15K over the class B. whats the chances ill be able to keep going IFR and not get thrown out and around? I suspect most of the traffic will be under me taking off and landing, right?

I think it's Chicago Center at that point, and since the Bravo ends at 10k it largely depends on what runways they are using. If you go right over the top, you may be okay - they've routed me right over ORD at 6000 feet.

You'll be with Center above 12K. Whether they'll give you something right over the field? I don't know.

It used to be that you could get an IFR clearance above the Bravo at or above 16,000 but I think I heard that this went up last year to something like FL190.

ok, we'll see in the morning i guess. thanks

eMail Apache Bob he will know for sure but I thought it was 13k, but I seem to recall something about it going up. Since I really get to 10k I have never paid attention.

File to DPA at 15000 pick up your second IFR plan at XXXXX after you're past the Bravo.

Tony, you need 16,000 to get over the Bravo IFR. BTDT MANY times.

thanks bruce. ed, no can do on that, have to be under continuous surveillance for 135 flights.

yep they sent me to KELSI at 15K. not too bad anyway, got me between some weather.

Ahh KELSI, You got the standard O'Hare bypass routing. I asked a controller once at a safety seminar, and he told me that KELSI is the standard routing to bypass the Bravo to the west.

I was coming from Algona, IA. I think I got the KELSI routing about 150 miles to the west of KELSI. no big deal, a couple degree change in heading. For the return, I just filed AOH-KELSI-AXA at 4000. we'll see how they like that.

BTW you missed a good OGOGOG post on the red board. about GA and Ord. OG is a Chicago Tracon controller. Someone asked him basically the question you asked and he said that the TRACOn will not take GA over Chicago at all from 0500-2300 ever.

I was coming from Algona, IA. I think I got the KELSI routing about 150 miles to the west of KELSI. no big deal, a couple degree change in heading. For the return, I just filed AOH-KELSI-AXA at 4000. we'll see how they like that.
Try AOH-JOT-AXA and see what you get. I often get routed up to 10C via JOT at that altitude

Hmmmm N41114 Hasn't left AOH yet.... Tony you stuck in OH?????

Hmmmm N41114 Hasn't left AOH yet.... Tony you stuck in OH?????

i was leaving as you posted. welcome to charter, passengers are always late. what originally booked as a 1:30 eastern departure ended up being a 4 departure, I had 45 minutes of duty time to spare.

I filed back AOH-KELSI-AXA and had no problems. Center even gave me direct AXA a little before I got to KELSI. tailwinds westbound down at 4000 too!

Back