Outstanding Glasair III

toddsanderson

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Todd Sanderson
Outstanding Glasair III - SOLD

Hi guys and gals. My Glasair III went on the market today. I have some issues in my life that need tweaking, so the plane will go for now. Please feel free to call or email if you have any interest.

Thank You - Todd

Last edited:
anybody need a kidney?

beauty!

Great ad - good pics, lots of information !

Thanks guys. I spent a lot of time on this one making it perfect (for me anyway). I will continue to fly it until sold. Heading to FL in it with my son July 11th if not sold by then. Great x-country machine. We will go non-stop from NE Indiana to Orlando (800NM) in roughly 3:45 and 55 gallons of fuel. Very inexpensive way to travel for 2 people and bags.

Man, if I only would feel ready for such a rocketship. And would have the $$$ to buy it. And wouldn't need more than 2 seats. Oh crap, my life is miserable... :( :wink2:

Good luck for the sale! :)

Last edited:
Todd, all I can say is I hope you get past these bumps in the road quickly and without much effort!

Wow! Sorry to hear this. Something really bad must have happened in your life. You were just saying how happy you were with the plane now that it's finally finished with the brand new interior. You were also talking about turbos and stuff in the future.

Folks, this plane is said to be quite spectacular by those that have seen it. Todd's loss is clearly someone's gain. I would be interested, but it's way beyond my budget for flying.

This plane is as pretty as advertised. Buy it, the water is warm.

I am a CFI and can provide transition training.
Take that one very seriously, and expect at least a day or two to reach proficiency. If you've never flown a Glasair III (especially with the extended tip tanks off), you're in for some real surprises. Think about an airplane which loses 2000 feet doing a 180 degree turn with the power off in landing configuration, and which needs 110 knots over the fence. The average C-172 pilot is going to be 10 miles behind the plane the first five hours s/he flies it -- I know -- I trained such a pilot in one. This is one hot rocket which will reward skill and proficiency with some fabulous performance, but will punish lack of skill and proficiency with equal intensity.

Take that one very seriously, and expect at least a day or two to reach proficiency. If you've never flown a Glasair III (especially with the extended tip tanks off), you're in for some real surprises. Think about an airplane which loses 2000 feet doing a 180 degree turn with the power off in landing configuration, and which needs 110 knots over the fence. The average C-172 pilot is going to be 10 miles behind the plane the first five hours s/he flies it -- I know -- I trained such a pilot in one. This is one hot rocket which will reward skill and proficiency with some fabulous performance, but will punish lack of skill and proficiency with equal intensity.

Yep, but it is not quite that bad. With the short tips and the gear UP (leave the gear up for all off airport landings) you are about 1500 FPM down at 120 knots indicated. You deploy the flaps (slotted flaps like mine help a lot) and come across the fence at roughly 95-100 knots. With the long
tips the plane is actually quite docile. I fly the down wind at 115 knots, base 105 knots, and short final 95 knots coming across the numbers at 80 knots. What you never want to do is get low on airspeed with the flaps and gear hanging out. While stall speed is 58 knots, the sink rate is astronomical at anything below 80 knots. There is never a reason to be that slow - ever.

Here is what needs to be understood: This plane will develop vertical speed quickly - especially if you put it into a 60+ degree turn and lower the nose. You really must level the wings first and then pull out of the dive. Otherwise you get into a spiral that turns into a 8k FPM descent and 270+ knots indicated very quickly. You fly this plane with a light touch and with understanding that it is a performance plane with high wing loading. While the high wing loading requires more thought as to slow speed performance - it's value flying in rough air more than makes up for the slow speed characteristics. In fact, there s NEVER any reason to fly this plane slow. It was built to go from point A to Point B fast, efficiently, and in comfort. It was not built to fly around at 70 knots looking at deer running around - that is what your Cessna is for.

As for handling in IMC, this is probably the easiest plane I have ever flown IFR. It's stability is so good that the bumps just do not affect the plane. With the new Garmin G3X and autopilot there is no excuse to ever lose control of this plane. I set the ESP up to never allow the plane to get under 100 knots or over 250 knots. It is also set up to allow a maximum bank angle of 45 and pitch angle of 5 degrees. I arm the ESP when in IMC conditions just in case I lose situational awareness and do not have the sense to engage the autopilot. If I exceed those parameters the autopilot will automatically engage in straight & level mode. It is a great feature to have.

Transition training will be dependent on the individual. I have helicopter and jet time (single engine fighter trainer.) My checkout was an hour and I am very comfortable in the plane. Again, I choose to leave the long tips on as I saw no purpose to have the short tips. The difference in the way the plane flies is substantial. Someone transitioning from a plane like a 172 will want to get time in a Bonanza, Mooney or similar first. Walking right into the Glasair is not a good idea. It is totally dependent on the person's ability and their previous flight experience. I am very good at discerning ability. Some people may only take 2 hours and some may be 20 hours. Some people should not even be flying a 152.

Last edited:
As he OWNS the airplane I should think he knows how to operate it. :rolleyes2:

As he OWNS the airplane I should think he knows how to operate it. :rolleyes2:

Rons admonishment was to the future buyer to take Todd up on his offer to provide transition training. This is not the plane for someone with 50hrs complex to get into and blast off on his way home.

Exactly. While the Glasair is not hard to fly, it does require a different mindset than a low wing loaded airplane. While a Mooney is a little faster it is still loaded lightly. A Bonanza is a little better trainer.

I took my friend up who is a 5k hour King Air 200 pilot. He flew the entire time with no problem including the landing. We used the same speeds we use in the King Air and he got it immediately. He did not over control and understood what causes high sink rates. I could turn him loose after 1 or 2 hours with no problem. At the BeechTalk Knoxville fly-in I let a friend take the controls and again he would be an easy signoff in 2 hours or less, but he has time in a SR22, Bonanza, and RV-6. I let another friend take the controls that has flown nothing but a Cherokee 150 for the past 20 years. It was not pretty. It would likely be 10-15 hours to get him up to speed. Everyone is different.

True...awesome airplane with the right training. Lost a friend in one going into OSH a decade or so ago. Training is essential.

Thanks for the comments

Last edited:
Yes, training is essential. Hours needed depends on the pilot.

Last edited:
Rons admonishment was to the future buyer to take Todd up on his offer to provide transition training. This is not the plane for someone with 50hrs complex to get into and blast off on his way home.

More like lecturing him on how to check someone out in it.

More like lecturing him on how to check someone out in it.

I don't mind the lecture. For the most part he is correct. However, the Glasair is not hard to fly. If you watch my YouTube videos I show how easy it is to fly. Not to be repetitive, but there are two things to remember when flying this plane:

1. It will build speed quickly downhill. Don't do stupid things down low and don't fly IMC if you have poor stick skills.

2. If the engine quits your main goal is to live. The plane is sold to the insurance company at that point. If an airport is close, great, leave the gear up, establish best glide, and try for the airport. If you are sure you will make it put the gear down on HIGH final at 120 Knots. If not, leave the gear up. The Glasair sustains very little damage gear up and under control. If you get out of control trying to milk it in like a 172 it will end badly. If you are landing off airport you leave the gear up. Better to trash the prop and scrape the bottom than increase the drag immensely just to have the gear.

If you keep these two reminders in your head when you fly you will have no issues. Once you get used to the handling and performance you will throw rocks at other "High Performance" planes. They will feel like you are flying a dump truck. It is an amazing feel that needs to be experienced instead of talked about.

Welllll...

That certainly didn't take long! Nice planes don't stay on the market long.

Congratulations! :)
Still, though, I feel sorry that you had to let her go. :sad:

Last edited:
Man, if I only would feel ready for such a rocketship. And would have the $$$ to buy it. And wouldn't need more than 2 seats. Oh crap, my life is miserable... :( :wink2:

Good luck for the sale! :)

You're ready to start, just get good training in it, Glasair is a good plane and they don't particularly bite. This would definitely be a keeper. I never understood the concept of "upgrade planes", it's the most expensive and least productive way to get into the plane you really want, but are afraid of. Just like swimming, the fastest, most productive way about it is to jump in the deep end with someone to support you until you get you confidence. That's really the differe is confidence, not ability. Most everything is the same, it's just faster about it, and you won't get used to that any faster by taking it incrementally. Just experience it and learn it from the beginning. I know guys that learned to fly in dad's or grandpa's Bonanza or Mooney, never knew anything lesser performance.

Back