Outlook express

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
I basically use three different computers for checking my emails.
My question is, is there an easy way to sync all three computers so they will all have the same emails in sent, deleted etc..
I would do this maybe every two days or something, preferably over a network, a jump drive would be possible but just more of a PIA.
I know that I can set outlook/outlook express to leave the message on the server, but honestly that confuses me more when I see the same email again in a couple of days on a different computer and then wonder if I answered it on my laptop or something already.

Thanks

Mark B

I basically use three different computers for checking my emails.
My question is, is there an easy way to sync all three computers so they will all have the same emails in sent, deleted etc..
I would do this maybe every two days or something, preferably over a network, a jump drive would be possible but just more of a PIA.
I know that I can set outlook/outlook express to leave the message on the server, but honestly that confuses me more when I see the same email again in a couple of days on a different computer and then wonder if I answered it on my laptop or something already.

Thanks

Mark B

Use IMAP instead of POP and leave mail on the server and you won't be confused because all of the PCs will see the same thing (No I dunno if outlook express supports IMAP.)

There are way to sync files and folders all of the PCs but since Outlook doesn't store mail in files, you'd have to sync the whole mail store which is dangerous. Rich?

Mark,

I'm sure the pro's here will expand on this, but what you are wanting to do is very easy with the IMAP protocol, which is available from most, but not all, email providers.

Outlook Express can be configured to work with IMAP very easily. I stopped using POP years ago. (I also stopped using Outlook years ago, check out Thunderbird.)

(Very) basically, IMAP leaves all messages on the server and you can interface with them wherever you are.

Read about it here. It is actually very easy.

Of course another way to deal with it is to open an email account with one of the more powerful free online providers such as gmail, and then configure it to manage your original email account(s).

I have about five email addresses, most with different domain names, and I manage them all exclusively from my gmail account. Wherever I am I can simply use a web browser to log on to my gmail account and manage all of my email (send and receive) from one screen. See the thumbnail (I censored my email addresses.)

I don't even use Thunderbird anymore. It is all online.

Attachments

• gmailsettings.jpg
    gmailsettings.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Sorry I missed this; family stuff has consumed my time the past week or two. Anyway...

SynchPST works with Outlook. I have set it up for clients and can vouch for it.

Synchronizer for Outlook Express
claims to work with Outlook Express. I have never used it and cannot vouch for it, but they do offer a free trial.

You also could write a script to synchronize the folders manually, if you were so inclined; but why reinvent the wheel?

Rich

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Going to "work" it this weekend and see which one I like best.

Richard,

I do the same as you. I wish Gmail would check the other accounts more often, or make it easier to "check mail now" than opening the Settings screen, going to that tab, and doing one account at a time.

Gmail has a free Windows utility for him to use:

https://mail.google.com/mail/help/email_uploader.html

The Google Email Uploader is an open source desktop utility for Microsoft Windows. It uploads email and contacts from desktop email programs (like Microsoft Outlook® ) into your Google Apps mailbox. It preserves information such as sent dates and sender/recipient data, as well as the folder structure used by email programs.

Back