Outlook 2003 Help!

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Well my Outlook 2003 isn't working properly again. My inbox is sorted by time/date an email/message arrives which is called the recieved time. All of a sudden last night this time is REALLY wrong! Someone sent something Friday night and it shows up as Saturday Afternoon, the NEXT day!?!?! Arggg:dunno:

Microsoft said the 'recieved' time came from my computer's clock, but that's set correctly. I have verified with my ISP/email/webhoster that their server time is correct and my webmail displays the correct time.

Can anyone please help?!?!?! :dunno:

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
I'm assuming you've checked the timezones? Is the hour off but minutes are correct?

Check the message headers and look at the received: entry. Part of it includes the GMT adjustment (-0700 for AZ). To view the headers, open the message in its own window (double click it in the Navigation Pane), then go to View...Options. The header is down at the bottom of the pop up window.

Brian Austin said:
I'm assuming you've checked the timezones? Is the hour off but minutes are correct?

Check the message headers and look at the received: entry. Part of it includes the GMT adjustment (-0700 for AZ). To view the headers, open the message in its own window (double click it in the Navigation Pane), then go to View...Options. The header is down at the bottom of the pop up window.
I have checked the timezones and have set them correctly. The minutes, hours, and sometimes days are off. I spoke to Microsoft yesterday, but had them stumped...it always happens that way with them :dunno:

Here is the header from one of my emails...can you take a look please?

Code:
Return-Path: <ross@metacraft.com>
Delivered-To: hpnpilot-Jason@hpnpilot1200.org
Received: (qmail 71778 invoked from network); 26 Nov 2005 18:59:24 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO magellan.metacraft.com) (64.246.38.58)
  by host386.ipowerweb.com with SMTP; 26 Nov 2005 18:59:24 -0000
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
    by magellan.metacraft.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B2AE61EC8E2
    for <Jason@hpnpilot1200.org>; Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:48:25 -0500 (EST)
Received: from magellan.metacraft.com ([127.0.0.1])
 by localhost (magellan.metacraft.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
 with ESMTP id 22568-12 for <Jason@hpnpilot1200.org>;
 Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:48:24 -0500 (EST)
Received: from apollo.metacraft.local (vt-williston-cuda1e4-252.sbtnvt.adelphia.net [69.162.163.252])
    by magellan.metacraft.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id BFD621EC8DE
    for <Jason@hpnpilot1200.org>; Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:48:23 -0500 (EST)
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:46:23 -0500
X-Mailer: The Bat! (v3.0.1.33) Home
Reply-To: Ross Carlson <ross@metacraft.com>
Organization: Metacraft Internet Services
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Message-ID: <1146245940.20051125214623@metacraft.com>
To: "Jason Herman" <Jason@hpnpilot1200.org>
Subject: Re: New Cursors
In-Reply-To: <20051125233234.8B30C1EC8DA@magellan.metacraft.com>
References: <20051125233234.8B30C1EC8DA@magellan.metacraft.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at metacraft.com

HPNPilot1200 said:
I have checked the timezones and have set them correctly. The minutes, hours, and sometimes days are off. I spoke to Microsoft yesterday, but had them stumped...it always happens that way with them :dunno:

Here is the header from one of my emails...can you take a look please?

It must be my webhoster, Ipower which I have my email account through their hosting service/domain service. I checked on another computer, and same thing. Could their incorrect server time cause the recieved time to be off? I just spoke with them and they were not sure, so they are getting an admin to reset the clock to the appropriate time within the next 0-36 hours.

Jason

Last edited:
Since the top one is most recent, it looks like delivery was hung up between

and...

This is your internal receipt:

which should match your Outlook entry.

This isn't an Outlook issue. One of the two servers in the top relationship was having issues of some sort. E-mail is typically 'cached' on servers if it can't connect for some reason. Servers will retry outbound mail for up to five days, depending on the configuration.

Outlook SHOULD be reading the rec'd date from the last entry but your's seems to be set up for Sent date.

Brian Austin said:
Since the top one is most recent, it looks like delivery was hung up between

and...

This is your internal receipt:

which should match your Outlook entry.

This isn't an Outlook issue. One of the two servers in the top relationship was having issues of some sort. E-mail is typically 'cached' on servers if it can't connect for some reason. Servers will retry outbound mail for up to five days, depending on the configuration.

Outlook SHOULD be reading the rec'd date from the last entry but your's seems to be set up for Sent date.
Thanks for the explanation Brian, but I have a few more questions/comments. The email comes in correctly, but the time is just incorrect. IOW, it didn't come 2 days late, just the date/time is off.

Is this still an Outlook problem?

Come to think of it...this only started occuring after ipower was doing work on their server... Could this be a temporary issue with them and their system/server time [which they will be fixing]? It just seems odd that in webmail it appears correctly, but that doesn't mean too much.

Last edited:
HPNPilot1200 said:
Come to think of it...this only started occuring after ipower was doing work on their server... Could this be a temporary issue with them and their system/server time [which they will be fixing]? It just seems odd that in webmail it appears correctly, but that doesn't mean too much.
That's probably it right there. If the webmail and e-mail are hosted on two different servers, they could have different times (although technically webmail should be reading the SMTP headers, too, come to think of it). When setting up a new server (regardless of operating system), I use Network Time Protocol (NTP) for picking up the correct time...but it's not entirely accurate if it's not configured with the UTC offset (ie timezone difference with GMT).

Jason, the time in the header is the time that the SENDER put on it. Wait until December 31 and see how many unpatched Outlook users are new sending mail in January 2007. Those will always sort to top when you list newest messages first, for obvious reasons.

One mo' time: DON'T USE OUTLOOK. http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

You should be spending your time flying.

Last edited:
mikea said:
Jason, the time in the header is the time that the SENDER put on it. Wait until December 31 and see how many unpatched Outlook users are new sending mail in January 2007. Those will always sort to top when you list newest messages first, for obvious reasons.

DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER. http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Ughhh, Mike. You know how it is :goofy: After working on Outlook for this long it's hard to change...maybe when I have hours of time and nothing to do and feel it's time to change. For now, it's a server glitch, not an Outlook issue. Too many differences between the two are holding me back.

Don't worry, I wrote my last reply to this topic as I was heading out to the door to go up to KOXC to go fly on a brisk, cold, winter day. ;)

Thanks for the links though! I've been using firefox for a while and will NEVER go back to IE. Firefox rocks! :yes:

Jason

mikea said:

Mike, If I switch to Thunderbird, can I send all the stuff in my Outlook Express folders over there? I've been using it for four years and it is backed up, but it's about 500 Megs now.:dunno:
Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:
Back