Outfitting the new plane

ahkahn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
92E
Hi everyone,

Closing in on what has been an exceptionally long plane deal on a 76 Lance. It's been about 3 months since we signed the papers, but due to MX issues it has been a long transaction... but seems to be positively resolved.

We are in the process of outfitting the plane. So far, we have bought:

- 3 "courtesy" microfiber blankets to carry along... in case a passenger gets cold.
- The seller has left his flashlight that was mounted in the plane.
- My wife bought some Queez-ease and barf bags.

What else do you carry or keep standard in your plane for comfort or utility?

Thanks!
Andrew

Small duffle with:

Tie down lines

Cotton rags and pledge for the windshield

Extra quart of oil and funnel

Calibrated fuel dip stick

Small journal with all my due items (100hr, annual, pitot/static, oil change, ADs due, VOR, GPS, fire extinguisher weigh due, etc), record of oil levels on start and any oil added.

Couple bags of jerky and small bottles of water

SMALL (fast pack type) first aid kit

If you do ever need a light, a normal flashlight is a PITA, you'll want a headlamp with selectable red filter, pitzel makes a good one.

Last edited:
I keep a small bag with a change of clothes, hygiene products, towel, blanket, snacks and water. A charger for my cell phone and iPad as well. In the back seat pocket a Sic Sac and relief bags with that crystal stuff in it to absorb the pee before it spills.

Never know when you are going to spend a night on a couch at the FBO in BFE.

Small pack of baby wipes- good to wipe you face with when you star drying out on those long trips at altitude.

Glow sticks -great for illuminating the panel or cabin when you realize you forgot to get new batteries.

Seat belt cutting tool wedged kept within reach.

I keep light travel chocks in an old Crown bag. Tie down ropes, too. Assorted travel tools, Plexus and a quart of oil live in a Rubbermaid container in the back; I load luggage on too of it. Fuel sample cup and dip stick are on the hat rack. Included with the tools is a small bag with some safety wire and several of each screw (I bought a bag of 100 of each, and replace any at annual that look bad, so I put some in the plane just in case).

Don't the airlines let you keep the blankets now that they charge for them? One of those. Some rags for cleaning the windshield and wiping my hands.

My flight bag lives on the back seat with lots of fun stuff, too. A plotter lives in the side pocket by my knee. Two pitot covers, one on the hat rack (reach through the baggage door), one in the right seat back pocket (reach in the door). I have bad luck with pitot covers, having had at least two disappear in storms; found one on the ground under the wing once, with the strap still wrapped around and velcroed.

Any survival kit goes in and out when I travel; changes of clothing are generally in my suitcase. I do keep a couple of hats in the plane, and try to not wear them home after flying.

Having learned the hard way doing Instrument training after work, going from the car to the plane in my sunglasses and landing at night, landing light burned out, wearing my (prescription) sunglasses. Went to the cheap glasses place (2 pair for $39!) and bought two pair--one lives in the pocket on the front of my seat, the other lives on the riding mower.

Buy a little notebook, 2" x 3" or so, and record your flights. Right page is for flying (date, tach time out & in, time for logbook (from my watch) and destination. Left page is for VOR checks, oil changes & additions, periodic maintenance, etc.

You'll also want some passenger headsets . . .

Like a house, buying an airplane is just a reason to spend money. The good news is, just like your house, you don't have to buy everything at once. The list also makes good Christmas / birthday gifts for you.

I have a survival pack that stays in the plane. I always have a tool kit and a qt of oil. Tire pump, ropes, duckbills, and a spare roll of paper towels. A good medical kit rides in one of my glove boxes and is labeled. My day pack has a raincoat, sunglasses, a sat phone, and a S&W 500 magnum.

Last edited:
This is a very good thread, thanks! Also helpful for renters like me - solid info on what to bring on cross-country flights, with passengers, etc.

Extra baseball caps,a light jacket,tumms,water,suspenders life jackets,cleaning supplies.

... and a S&W 500 magnum.

Might also want to pack an Ace bandage roll to wrap your wrist afterwards in case you ever have to fire that hand cannon. I find a good ol' .45 ACP to be adequate of a handgun caliber but then I don't usually expect to encounter any grizzlys at the places where I land :p

Just remember, all that takes away from your legal weights though. Weigh it all before you put ypur kit in so you know what's up.

A small tool box with channel locks, line pliers, screw drivers, utility knife, roll of paper towels, and extra screws of various sizes used on your airplane. I also carry an extra fuel cap.

what do you guys Suggest those of us who are in partnerships do with these items? Leave them in the plane for both people to use or put it in a bag that goes in and out of the plane with me?

I have a survival pack that stays in the plane. I always have a tool kit and a qt of oil. Tire pump, ropes, duckbills, and a spare roll of paper towels. A good medical kit rides in one of my glove boxes and is labeled. My day pack has a raincoat, sunglasses, a sat phone, and a S&W 500 magnum.

I was wondering why someone would keep a S&W 500 until I saw you fly in Alaska. Makes sense now.

what do you guys Suggest those of us who are in partnerships do with these items? Leave them in the plane for both people to use or put it in a bag that goes in and out of the plane with me?

I would think that would depend largely on your relationship with the other partner(s). If you're all friends, share and share alike. If it's more business, I'd just leave the maintenance/preflight items like fuel tester and oil.

I was wondering why someone would keep a S&W 500 until I saw you fly in Alaska. Makes sense now.

If its big enough for a 500, you really should have a 12 gauge.

I'm planning on a 570 marine magnum with speed feed stock for spring float ops, magnum slugs and 00 staggered, bird shot on one speed feed tube for bagging a bird for food, flares on the other side, that will all be in a floating soft shell case.

I would think that would depend largely on your relationship with the other partner(s). If you're all friends, share and share alike. If it's more business, I'd just leave the maintenance/preflight items like fuel tester and oil.
Considering I'm just now starting in on the partnership it might be a good idea for me to keep everything in a bag to start with then....

I've shot bears with several different guns. A 12ga is not my choice. I've got a couple, they just aren't as effective as I'd like. For up close defense I prefer my Marlin 45-70 guide gun or 500 mag revolver and since the 500 is far easier to carry? It goes more often.

Hi everyone,

Closing in on what has been an exceptionally long plane deal on a 76 Lance. It's been about 3 months since we signed the papers, but due to MX issues it has been a long transaction... but seems to be positively resolved.

We are in the process of outfitting the plane. So far, we have bought:

- 3 "courtesy" microfiber blankets to carry along... in case a passenger gets cold.
- The seller has left his flashlight that was mounted in the plane.
- My wife bought some Queez-ease and barf bags.

What else do you carry or keep standard in your plane for comfort or utility?

Thanks!
Andrew

A bottle of Collenite Insulator Wax, an applicator pad and some microfiber rags, use on everything not fabric. Use on windshield and leading edges every flight, eventually the bugs quit sticking.

A bottle of Collenite Insulator Wax, an applicator pad and some microfiber rags, use on everything not fabric. Use on windshield and leading edges every flight, eventually the bugs quit sticking.

Haven't used it on the airplane yet, but after seeing your recommendation of the stuff I did the truck with it, and it's impressive. Applied right, nothing sticks to it.

Being polished, I keep a spray bottle of homemade R/O water and denatured alcohol 10:1 for spiffing up. It brings the shine right back in between polishes.

Survival kit, survival knife (important), small toolkit, blankets, sick sacs, etc ...

One of my favorite's is a travel towel. They're different from regular towels. You dry off and hang them up and they're dry in ten minutes.

More great suggestions! Thank you! Keep them coming!

Henning, I read up on the Collinite wax. Looks like great stuff. The part that I'm nervous about is that it says to apply it only when the surface is warm to the touch. Up here in Chicago, that won't be an option until next July... Do you think it will be a problem if I try to apply it in a lukewarm (50-60 degrees) hangar?

Thanks!
Andrew

Congrats on the Lance. We have a 77 and love it. There are plenty of others that will talk it up or down, but 1400# useful load on a single prop is hard to beat at the price point.
Most of the high points have already been hit. The only other thing I might suggest is an aircraft jumper cable that will plug into the outside plug of the plane. This gives you the capability to jump the plane off any battery.
We have a partnership that shares almost everything. Most of our supplies are in the hanger. That allows you to pick up what you need depending on the day (life jackets, etc).

Back