Outer Banks In October?

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
My mom visits me in October and usually she drives me nuts about 4 days into her planned 18 day stay. Part of the frustration is her taking over my house, my schedual and my life. Since this year one of the weeks she is here I will be able to take compleatly off work, I was thinking of taking a trip with her. (We made it all the way to the last day at Oshkosh without me wanting to strangle her so maybe going somewhere else for part of her visit might save my sanity)

I've always wanted to go to Kitty Hawk so I thought that might be a good destination and time to get it off my bucket list. Mom is at least vaugely intrested in Avaition (doesn't go out of her way for it but if she enjoys the experiance if it happens her way, or at least she puts on a good act for me). It's about 8 hrs by car (Not being instrument rated, I reserve the plane but plan for a road trip) and that might be a bit far but probally worth it for me at least.

So would Mid to Late October be a good time to go to Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills? What else besides spending a day at the park is there to do? I'd like to find activities that Ma would like. She isn't much into shopping except for craft fairs, quilt stores and antique stores. I was thinking of staying at a B&B, I really liked the ones I've stayed at in Wildwood and I think Ma would enjoy it.

Anyone have an idea of another, maybe closer place to consider? We would only go for three or four days and it could be weekend or weekdays.

Missa

I spent Halloween in Avon, NC and used KHSE. It was great. Not a "lay on the beach vacation, but it was much less crowded and very relaxing. As others have said there are other things to do than sit on the beach, which I can only do for a day or so then I get antse anyway.

You mentioned Wildwood, but Cape May would also be nice if your Mom is into quaint Victorian architecture. If your choosing between the Wildwoods, pick Wildwood Crest. Its nicer and also right next to Cape May so access to all that town has is very close.

Last edited:
October, especially earlier in the month, is a GREAT time to go. Weather will still be decent and it'll be a lot less crowded. My brother used to rent a beach house Labor Day week....

Plenty of stuff to do besides beach time and the aviation monument (that's worth half a day). Check out Manteo - there's some things to do there. There's fishin'. Some of the beach campgrounds are open. Seafood. Ride down and take the ferry to Ocracoke (or take a plane and fly....). Hatteras Light. The national park has some wildlife areas & marshes, worth a visit.

I'm considering heading down for a long weekend in Sept/Oct - thinking about Ocracoke, but may consider something further north, depending on availability & timing. It's a couple of hours by plane from HEF.... and almost a full day by car if you stop along the way (or traffic is bad). You might consider a road trip with a stop in Williamsburg or Jamestown.

October, especially earlier in the month, is a GREAT time to go. Weather will still be decent and it'll be a lot less crowded. My brother used to rent a beach house Labor Day week....

Plenty of stuff to do besides beach time and the aviation monument (that's worth half a day). Check out Manteo - there's some things to do there. There's fishin'. Some of the beach campgrounds are open. Seafood. Ride down and take the ferry to Ocracoke (or take a plane and fly....). Hatteras Light. The national park has some wildlife areas & marshes, worth a visit.

I'm considering heading down for a long weekend in Sept/Oct - thinking about Ocracoke, but may consider something further north, depending on availability & timing. It's a couple of hours by plane from HEF.... and almost a full day by car if you stop along the way (or traffic is bad). You might consider a road trip with a stop in Williamsburg or Jamestown.

+1000 - best time to go. Crowds are gone, and prices on rentals are waaaay down. I echo Ocracoke...great fly in (or ferry) destination. Lighthouses are fun to visit. I'm also planning a fly in sometime in October to W95.

I'm planning to go to Ocracoke as well sometime soon. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

When is Hurricane season over along the Atlantic Coast... October?

We're flying down to SC in Sept and I know we have to plan around the inevitable TS/Hurricane...:(

We're flying down to SC in Sept and I know we have to plan around the inevitable TS/Hurricane...:(

This would be why it will be planned as a road trip.

Pretty seashore and short drive = Cape May.

Longer Drive - Ocean City MD
Longest Drive - Kill Devil Hills or better yet, Ocracoke.

Assuming the hurricanes are calm, it's a GREAT time to go.

This would be why it will be planned as a road trip.
Actually, a plane would be better, because you can skedaddle a lot quicker in a plane than trying to drive all along the outer banks, maybe even doing ferries.

Plan as a road trip, but have the plane ready in case the weather's perfect. Why drive when you can fly?

Actually, a plane would be better, because you can skedaddle a lot quicker in a plane than trying to drive all along the outer banks, maybe even doing ferries.
just don't dawdle or you'll be dealing with a cross-wind the likes of which you wouldn't believe on a normal day...
:eek:

I drove two years in a row and was chased out by mandatory evecuation due to hurricanes. Getting off the OBX is almost impossible when this happens. Flew after that, and fortunately no hurricanes, but you can evac a lot faster in a plane than a car.

I drove two years in a row and was chased out by mandatory evecuation due to hurricanes. Getting off the OBX is almost impossible when this happens. Flew after that, and fortunately no hurricanes, but you can evac a lot faster in a plane than a car.
That's exactly the situation I was thinking of when I wrote that.

That's exactly the situation I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Yep. That's what happens when there's one road in/out.

Thank goodness I did not have to share that all day, all night ride with: :D

Attachments

• Rosie_o_donnell.jpg
    Rosie_o_donnell.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2
Back