Outer Banks, how easy to get there VFR?

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
Looking at a last minute weekend trip to Outer Banks. Will be coming from south (Charleston). How difficult is it to go VFR through all the restricted areas? Would going IFR be a routing nightmare? Anyone with experience? Also would love suggestions for where to go and stay with two boys (9 and 11) and a wife involved.

Looking at a last minute weekend trip to Outer Banks. Will be coming from south (Charleston). How difficult is it to go VFR through all the restricted areas? Would going IFR be a routing nightmare? Anyone with experience? Also would love suggestions for where to go and stay with two boys (9 and 11) and a wife involved.

It looks worse than it is. Plan on talking to Cherry Point Approach. They are good about getting you up and down the coast. If all else fails, with the exception of R-5306 (which can be circumvented by flying 4nm offshore), you can do the coast at under 3000ft and be under the MOA. Either way, though, they are good about letting folks transit the airspace.

Don't sweat it.

As far as where to go, there are lots of threads on that. My favorite is Ocracoke (W95), but if you like camping with the boys, there is a campground just up the street from Hatteras airport (HSE). The wife will likely opt for one of the small hotels in Ocracoke. Many of them will pick you up from the airport.

Brad.. very easy to do. A few months back I pulled off KCPK to KFFA and went through the busiest restricted zone we got in this area, while it was hot. "Giant Killer" is easy to work with, and that's not because I know over half of them, it's because they are good at their job which makes it easier for us to get direct routes.

Just pulled of KCPK - KTGI and even though the charts say to call PAX APP to get clearance for their restricted zone, NORF APP kept me and had me cleared all the way in.

Video of KCPK - KTGI w/radio audio

No problem at all,just have to talk to the controllers.

Flight following is easy to pick up, very good controllers all through that area.

Dare County is an excellent airport with car rentals available. Nice aquarium just outside the airport for the kids to have some fun and a short hop to nags head and first flight.

We stay in Nags Head at the Surf Side Hotel, always good service and clean, right on the beach with an indoor and outdoor pool available.

R-5306 is usually cold on Sundays. But always, always talk to Cherry Point approach even if you do not want access to the restricted airspace. Fast jets and big helicopters aplenty. Talking with CP keeps everyone happy and calm. From New Bern head to Beaufort and then head up the coast to ocracoke. Have fun it is a great place to fly. Lots to see and do.

We fly out to W95 just go to the beach:)

Last edited:
Back