Out of the blue...

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I was hanging around at one of the local airports Sunday (pouring rain) and shooting the bull around the round table. Some asked when I was going to buy, and told them my "about one year from now" story, and they said there is a nice little aircraft for sale here now that should be a good deal.

1956 straight tail 172, owned by a recently departed retired USMC Brig. General who was also a licensed A&P and worked on his own aircraft. The plane just passed an annual by the on field mechanics with flying colors.

Specs:

<500 SMOH (Conti 6cyl)
<4000TT
All instruments (and heated pitot, so I assume IFR, although it has venturi vacuum. Interesting, however, as this 172 has TWIN venturi tubes mounted on the passenger side cowl, all venturi planes I've seen to date have only one)
remote ELT
King KX 175B navcom
Icom IC-A5 backup radio wired to external antenna
King mode C transponder
Bendix ADF-T-12C
Double navcom control panel
DC headsets
VOR head
Marker beacons
EGT
Individual cylinder head temps
Oil sump heater
McCallie metal prop
Garmin 296

NDH, ALL airframe and engine logs SINCE NEW

I looked at it, exterior faded but servicable, no visible peeling, etc. I'd rate it a 6. The interior, however, was very sharp, I'd rate it 8/9.

Scuttlebutt on the field: all of the pilots and mechanics knew the man and the plane, and they say it's a real peach. He flew the plane often right up until his passing.

Plane is advertised at $35k, word of mouth says $26-28k will buy the plane. The pilots here contend that I could buy this plane, put 4-500 fun hours on it without putting out large maint outlay, and then sell for what I paid.

Also, the buyer gets to keep the hanger (with rent, of course), and there is a 5 yr wiat for hangars in this area.

Comments? Not my ultimate "destination" plane, but looks like it might be fun to own and fly for a while. I'm starting to think seriously about this one.

Besides, I'm cheap and like a good bargain.:D

Does sound like a good deal. If you can get it at 25-28k then you could alway put 5 or 6 K into a new paint job. Good luck.

Bill Jennings said:
I was hanging around at one of the local airports Sunday (pouring rain) and shooting the bull around the round table. Some asked when I was going to buy, and told them my "about one year from now" story, and they said there is a nice little aircraft for sale here now that should be a good deal.

1956 straight tail 172, owned by a recently departed retired USMC Brig. General who was also a licensed A&P and worked on his own aircraft. The plane just passed an annual by the on field mechanics with flying colors.

Specs:

<500 SMOH (Conti 6cyl)
<4000TT
All instruments (and heated pitot, so I assume IFR, although it has venturi vacuum. Interesting, however, as this 172 has TWIN venturi tubes mounted on the passenger side cowl, all venturi planes I've seen to date have only one)
remote ELT
King KX 175B navcom
Icom IC-A5 backup radio wired to external antenna
King mode C transponder
Bendix ADF-T-12C
Double navcom control panel
DC headsets
VOR head
Marker beacons
EGT
Individual cylinder head temps
Oil sump heater
McCallie metal prop
Garmin 296

NDH, ALL airframe and engine logs SINCE NEW

I looked at it, exterior faded but servicable, no visible peeling, etc. I'd rate it a 6. The interior, however, was very sharp, I'd rate it 8/9.

Scuttlebutt on the field: all of the pilots and mechanics knew the man and the plane, and they say it's a real peach. He flew the plane often right up until his passing.

Plane is advertised at $35k, word of mouth says $26-28k will buy the plane. The pilots here contend that I could buy this plane, put 4-500 fun hours on it without putting out large maint outlay, and then sell for what I paid.

Also, the buyer gets to keep the hanger (with rent, of course), and there is a 5 yr wiat for hangars in this area.

Comments? Not my ultimate "destination" plane, but looks like it might be fun to own and fly for a while. I'm starting to think seriously about this one.

Besides, I'm cheap and like a good bargain.:D

A couple things to look for in this old aircraft.

The oil sump has a tendency to corrode from the inside out. you won't notice it until the oil runs out. 'when was the last engine ovhl? this is one of thoes time things, that occur from water in the sump, setting over a long period of time.

Cessna seat track AD, it is pretty spendy to have an FBO replace the seat tracks.

The manual flaps are a plus to me, but the pivot point wears, grab the handle and wiggle it side to side. If the catch falls off its notch with out pushing the button in, get it fixed before next flight, cause that is what holds the flaps down, and if the flaps retract without notice, your pucker facter goes way up.

Other than that, they are a great old aircraft, fun and cheap to fly, about 6-7 gals per hour, and the 6 cyclinder C-145-A (Smooth) :) and 25 hour oil changes.

And a final note, my last engine overhaul on the C-145-A was pocket change under 12k with 6 new ECI Titan Cerminll cylinders, and a slick up grade kit (2 new mags and harnesses 12 new plugs), skytech starter upgrade, new sump, a cam kit, with 12 new hydraulic units, and both cam and crank drive gears replaced, with a cessna oil filter added. .

Our closest competetor was 19K.

Last edited:
NC19143 said:
'when was the last engine ovhl?

don't know, but can check the engine logs

Cessna seat track AD, it is pretty spendy to have an FBO replace the seat tracks.

Again, I can check the logs. It does have one of those sliding seat stop widgets that you move to keep your seat from accidently moving, one for each front seat.

Other than that, they are a great old aircraft, fun and cheap to fly, about 6-7 gals per hour, and the 6 cyclinder C-145-A (Smooth) :) and 25 hour oil changes.

Great! Any advice on what my max bid should be? (I"m thinking $27k or so)

And a final note, my last engine overhaul on the C-145-A was pocket change under 12k... Our closest competetor was 19K.

So you're saying I need so see you when I need an engine done??? :D

Bill Jennings said:
So you're saying I need so see you when I need an engine done??? :D

We'll tell you that if you have to cross the country to get Tom to OH your Cessna you should make the trip.

Bill;

Sounds like you may have a real nice find; Those C 145 or O-300 engines are very smooth and will give you good service if the previous owner took good care of it. The early 172's were so nice to fly and a delight to land. They are good easy slow cross country machines. Not fast but will get you there. Get a real good pre buy ahead of time by some one who knows the early 172's

Good luck

John

mikea said:
We'll tell you that if you have to cross the country to get Tom to OH your Cessna you should make the trip.

If he leans like I teach all the C145 operators he get TBO at 1800 hours, thats 1400 hours from now. At 50 hours per year.

do the math, Tom won't be rebuilding engines then. I'd be greatful if he would stop by and give me a ride.

John J said:
Bill;

Sounds like you may have a real nice find; Those C 145 or O-300 engines are very smooth and will give you good service if the previous owner took good care of it. The early 172's were so nice to fly and a delight to land. They are good easy slow cross country machines. Not fast but will get you there. Get a real good pre buy ahead of time by some one who knows the early 172's

Good luck

John

Awe come on, at that price just grab it, deal with any problems as they arise.

after all, the owner is dead. how you going to dicker with him? If I knew where it was I'd send him a check for 30k.

Then I'd be flyin and grinin while you guys argue about who missed a great deal on a great old aircraft.

NC19143 said:
The oil sump has a tendency to corrode from the inside out. you won't notice it until the oil runs out. 'when was the last engine ovhl? this is one of thoes time things, that occur from water in the sump, setting over a long period of time.

I callled the airport manager, who is handling the sale for the family. The engine was overhauled in July, 1996. Pretty much new everything:

new crank and bearing
new superior air cylinders and pistons
new con rods
new pushrods, cam, rocker arms
new slick mags, harness, plugs
new oil pump, faces, cases, gaskets, relief valve
all gears magnafluxed
carb and alt replaced with reman units

He didn't read me everything, but said drop on by and read them for myself.

I then called the mechanic who did the annual: in a nutshell, he had to do very little on the annual, and said the airframe was straight, clean, with very little corrosion (he treated that), and the engine was in great shape.

He would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a great VFR plane. He said that with careful operation, one should get many years/hours out of the engine. "Fine little aircraft"

But, he doesn't recommend it for IFR due to the venturi vacuum system. Additionally, he said it would cost about $6k to install a standby or electric vacuum system.

Damn, this is a great old bird, but I really want IFR capability.

Bill Jennings said:
but I really want IFR capability.

Bill,

Interesting dilemma.

You might want to ask yourself:
- How much hard IMC you'll really want to do on pleasure flights?
- Are the systems sufficient for filing IFR in order to get above or below a high layer to CAVU above?

Other possibly options:
- Buy this plane yourself and go into partners on the plane that will be you instrument platform.
- Buy this plane with a partner and buy your instrument platform with a partner (same or different) as well.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
- Are the systems sufficient for filing IFR in order to get above or below a high layer to CAVU above?

That is question #1. Question #2 is what if I do go ahead and put and electric AI and DG in for $6k? I still have a decent aircraft for $34k.

Other possibly options:
- Buy this plane yourself and go into partners on the plane that will be you instrument platform.
- Buy this plane with a partner and buy your instrument platform with a partner (same or different) as well.

Also an option, but having taken the aerobatics course in the Citabria, this doesn't make sense. If I were to have two birds (partners or no), I'd have an IFR plane and make the VFR kickin' around grass strip flying plane a taildragger like a Citabria.

I dunno...

I do know this will be a great airplane for someone, but will it be me?

Bill Jennings said:
That is question #1. Question #2 is what if I do go ahead and put and electric AI and DG in for $6k? I still have a decent aircraft for $34k.

Hmmmm, isn't specified somewhere that you have to have a different power source for the turn coordinator vs the attitude indicator?

Is the turn coordinator in this aircraft powered by the venturi?

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Hmmmm, isn't specified somewhere that you have to have a different power source for the turn coordinator vs the attitude indicator?

That sounds logical, although I do not know.

No, standard electric.

Len Lanetti said:

Len

I do not know what was required under CAR 3 for this airplane.

But, it shouldn't be a big deal. If independent sources are required, just leave the venturi-powered AI somewhere in the panel.

Bill;

Go ahead and buy it. It sounds like a real nice VFR flying machine. Low time and well cared for. The Turn Coordinator in these replaced an electric Turn and Bank. I remember when turning on the Master the T&B would spool up. The Venturies powered the DG and the AI.

It sounds like a real nice VFR plane that you can have fun with.

John

Back