Our Second Attempt at a GoPro Video

According to the current manual (H3 Black) 1440p/48 records at 4:3. 1080p records at 16:9.

Try 720P at 120FPS and see if that helps your prop artifacts. That will make a bigger practical difference than 1080 v 720 for videos that 1% of your viewers will actually be able to see the difference in.

Early days. With one camera, you get only one point of view per flight. Once Jay has a chance to mount the camera in alternate positions on a number of flights, he can edit together the various angles into a single video.

I did that with my Fly Baby about ten years ago... installed the camera on the axle, recorded a touch and go or two. Installed it on the tail, did a couple of more. Pointed it backwards, lather, rinse, repeat. Edit the shots together, and it adds some visual interest.

This is a REALLY old video, low resolution. But it shows what I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDOG4E_pXs

Note to Jay: Wear the same hat every taping flight, and put Mary in the back pit every time, too. Otherwise, the lapses in continuity get pretty funny. :)

Ron Wanttaja

Yup, nicely done. Or you could go with multiple cameras :wink2:

http://www.wingitmounts.com

At least that one was only 2 1/2 minutes and you threw in a Vx climb at the end. :D

Hey, I'm getting better! I'm learning the editing software (note the kewl transitions?), and how to more efficiently cut out boring parts.

Stay tuned for some under wing video, later tonight. :D

Yeah, I get it. The camera is set to its highest possible resolution, and I can find no aspect ratio adjustment.

It's gotta be here somewhere, maybe in how I'm editing the video...
All you need to do is video in 1080 there is a setting for that in your camera.

Early days. With one camera, you get only one point of view per flight. Once Jay has a chance to mount the camera in alternate positions on a number of flights, he can edit together the various angles into a single video.

I did that with my Fly Baby about ten years ago... installed the camera on the axle, recorded a touch and go or two. Installed it on the tail, did a couple of more. Pointed it backwards, lather, rinse, repeat. Edit the shots together, and it adds some visual interest.

This is a REALLY old video, low resolution. But it shows what I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDOG4E_pXs

Note to Jay: Wear the same hat every taping flight, and put Mary in the back pit every time, too. Otherwise, the lapses in continuity get pretty funny. :)

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, love the slip on final! And hats off to Auburn Municipal!!

Jay, I haven't worked with windows movie maker for quite some time but for some reason I seem to remember it really had a hard time processing video in a widescreen format...can't remember if it flat out wouldn't, or there was some configuring involved. If you happen to have a copy of Sony Vegas uhh, laying around, I hear that's pretty easy to use.

Jay, I haven't worked with windows movie maker for quite some time but for some reason I seem to remember it really had a hard time processing video in a widescreen format...can't remember if it flat out wouldn't, or there was some configuring involved. If you happen to have a copy of Sony Vegas uhh, laying around, I hear that's pretty easy to use.

Interesting. Vegas is what the skydiving guys use, at our airport, to make videos of their tandem skydives. They say it's not an easy program to learn, but very powerful.

I'm processing today's videos right now. They appear to be WIDEscreen, and look great. Stay tuned -- if I can get the hamsters to run faster, I will have this done tonight yet.

Interesting. Vegas is what the skydiving guys use, at our airport, to make videos of their tandem skydives. They say it's not an easy program to learn, but very powerful.

I'm processing today's videos right now. They appear to be WIDEscreen, and look great. Stay tuned -- if I can get the hamsters to run faster, I will have this done tonight yet.

Yup, boiling it down to it's most basic form, the interface between Vegas and WMM are similar - with the timeline and everything. Very powerful program, I have yet to scratch the surface. There are some very good short and sweet youtube tutorials for Vegas.

Yup, boiling it down to it's most basic form, the interface between Vegas and WMM are similar - with the timeline and everything. Very powerful program, I have yet to scratch the surface. There are some very good short and sweet youtube tutorials for Vegas.

Mostly, it seems to come down to processing speed. All this converting from one format to the next, and then editing, is what takes FOREVER.

My laptop just laughed out loud when I tried to process this HD video. It showed, like, every 10th frame, in a lame attempt to process it. Our brand, new (like one week old) desktop PC chews through it pretty well, but a big video still takes freaking forever.

You've just learned why professional video shops have render farms.

That sounds like the old glue factories. :lol:

I take it there are computer farms devoted to crunching video? That makes sense. Otherwise, making Avatar would have taken 1000 years.

That sounds like the old glue factories. :lol:

I take it there are computer farms devoted to crunching video? That makes sense. Otherwise, making Avatar would have taken 1000 years.

Yup. HD is 14 Mb/s raw. There's many laptop chipset / hard drive combos that can't even do that continuously. (Just because the bus is rated for it doesn't mean the drive can keep up.)

Plus you're doing conversions of videos stored with compression. That'll beat up a CPU if there isn't any dedicated hardware in the machine to handle the decompression/compression format.

Technically a render farm does the full render. For us lowly home folk, sometimes a particular video editing package can chunk out pieces of the job to other machines and reassemble the resulting chunks into one video if'n ya pay for the privilege and have at least a wired Gigabit LAN between multiple machines. This is usually called "batching" not a "render farm" by pros, but for the amateur, it's a similar deal... Install more machines and let them all work on a piece of the movie. Fast shared storage helps, etc.

Otherwise you just buy the fastest beastie you can afford with smoking fast I/O and piles of CPU cores (or dedicated MPEG hardware perhaps if that's your format du jour) and hit the render button and go to bed. Especially if you're web-publishing your own stuff in multiple formats and not having Google/YouTube do the heavy lifting for all possible devices.

Done right, the results can be stunning though. YT is very compressed.

Autocorrect changed "crap" to "crisp" and the number is still wrong. Ahh you get the idea. It's late and I don't feel like looking it up.

The compression algorithms are amazing. Stuff was the bane of my existence when I was supporting videoconferencing...

"No m'am, there's no possible way that video is going to ever look any better over a 512K pipe. It might help if you'd close the blinds in the conference room so that tree with all the leaves moving in the background behind the speaker's head wasn't eating up all of the bandwidth to flip almost every pixel on the screen every 1/2 a second. Okay sure, I'd be happy to have your salesperson call you and explain that "HD" in videoconferencing isn't going to look like the NFL fame at your local pub."

:)

Back