Our Second Attempt at a GoPro Video

Nice view, thanks for sharing.
I like the sun on the camera side to see you two, the shadows were a nice touch!

Very cool plane

Keep it up - you will eventually shoot your masterpiece, 5-minute long video of straight and level flying. :D Just messin'. It appears you've just discovered the wonder of little POV cameras. :)

Nice view, thanks for sharing.
I like the sun on the camera side to see you two, the shadows were a nice touch!

Very cool plane

Thanks! The GoPro is cool, but I'm still having trouble with the WiFi quitting ten minutes into the flight. Dunno what's up with that, but rebooting the camera seems to be the only solution.

For my next attempt, I've now moved the camera mount to the same spot, but UNDER the wing. That should be an interesting perspective, methinks.

Prolly try that on Wednesday...

Keep it up - you will eventually shoot your masterpiece, 5-minute long video of straight and level flying. :D Just messin'. It appears you've just discovered the wonder of little POV cameras. :)

Yeah, it's funny. I think this video is dull as hell, too, but every non-pilot I show it to seems mesmerized.

I think we get jaded from flying so often, and forget how unusual our view of the world really is.

I'm looking forward to pointing the camera OUT from the wingtip, and doing turns around various landmarks around the island. Getting the plane out of its own way will be good.

Nice video cool views,also nice landing.

Nice video cool views,also nice landing.

Thanks. I'd like to take credit, but that plane is just stupid-easy to land. If you can land a Cherokee or Skyhawk/Lane well, you can grease an RV-8A on all day long.

This one is marginally more interesting than our first attempt. We simply flew over and around our beautiful island, and, other than some captioning, let the video speak for itself.

Whoever is in the back seat from 1:50 on (presumably your wife?), then I think a booster seat is in order.

Which focus mode do you have it set to? It seems like it's focusing on the wing about 1' inboard of the camera, so you and the scenery are blurry, even in HD.

Thanks! The GoPro is cool, but I'm still having trouble with the WiFi quitting ten minutes into the flight. Dunno what's up with that, but rebooting the camera seems to be the only solution.

Not sure how to fix your Wifi problem, but you may want to post the question on this website:
http://www.goprofanatics.com/

Real helpful folks over there...

Great plane and video! 'Gotta make it to the 'Landing someday.
It looks like the video was shot in 4:3 instead of 16:9... are you getting full rez? or was it trimmed to 4:3 during production?

If you haven't updated the firmware. Do that.

If you have, try using the keychain remote instead of the IOS app.

Whoever is in the back seat from 1:50 on (presumably your wife?), then I think a booster seat is in order.

I told Mary she looks like Kilroy, peeking over the wall!

And she is sitting on a 4" thick pillow! :D

Great plane and video! 'Gotta make it to the 'Landing someday.
It looks like the video was shot in 4:3 instead of 16:9... are you getting full rez? or was it trimmed to 4:3 during production?

Um, hmmmm. It looks great to me on a 46" HDTV. Prolly a dumb question, but are you playing it in HD?
:confused:

Which focus mode do you have it set to? It seems like it's focusing on the wing about 1' inboard of the camera, so you and the scenery are blurry, even in HD.

Hmmm. It doesn't look that way on my screen, but I don't know the answer. I thought it had a fixed focal length on infinity, but I will check the book.

That the GoPro doesn't come with. I thought that was funny, and probably smart.

Um, hmmmm. It looks great to me on a 46" HDTV. Prolly a dumb question, but are you playing it in HD?
:confused:

He means that the frame is 4:3 meaning, it's old-school-tv square-ish shaped, instead of the more desired 16:9 for playback on any widescreen device. Either you're recording in 4:3 or clipping it during edit. The GoPro is capable of doing 16:9 which will be better for what you're trying to do.

Nice video.

Can I make a future video request?

With the location of your mounting, that would be a great vantage point to observe stalls in action. Can you video both a power off and a power on stall, and try to keep the horizon off of your left wing in the frame so we have a visual reference of your AoA.

I mounted a Gopro to my tailwheel. But the first file I shot was over 2Gigs.

Shooting video is easy. Making a movie worthy of upload is not. I've got a lot to learn.

What are you using to edit and render your video's before uploading? The free Gopro video editor will not insert music or do a bunch of trick editing as far as I can tell. :dunno:

He means that the frame is 4:3 meaning, it's old-school-tv square-ish shaped, instead of the more desired 16:9 for playback on any widescreen device. Either you're recording in 4:3 or clipping it during edit. The GoPro is capable of doing 16:9 which will be better for what you're trying to do.

Um, the video, when played in HD, fills my 16:9 HDTV.
Here are the camera's video settings:

Protune
Res: 1440 (that's max)
FPS: 48
FOV: W

It appears to be recording in 16:9, but I don't see a setting that sets that, specifically.

I mounted a Gopro to my tailwheel. But the first file I shot was over 2Gigs.

Shooting video is easy. Making a movie worthy of upload is not. I've got a lot to learn.

What are you using to edit and render your video's before uploading? The free Gopro video editor will not insert music or do a bunch of trick editing as far as I can tell. :dunno:

Windows Movie Maker. It's a free download from Microsoft, and seems to do good things.

Nice video.

Can I make a future video request?

With the location of your mounting, that would be a great vantage point to observe stalls in action. Can you video both a power off and a power on stall, and try to keep the horizon off of your left wing in the frame so we have a visual reference of your AoA.

Interesting -- great idea. I've moved the mount under the wing now, and I will try that next flight.

Along that line yarn on the top of the wing to show the stall would be cool too

Booooring. Seems this is the perfect opportunity to video that scary RV-8A Vx angle. :eek::)

Videos are ok but looking at the side of the plane for 5 minutes to me is just taking away from the real view that most people want to see. I prefer looking forward, backward or to the side away from you, but that's just me.

Videos are ok but looking at the side of the plane for 5 minutes to me is just taking away from the real view that most people want to see. I prefer looking forward, backward or to the side away from you, but that's just me.

I agree! This is just a few test runs.

I plan on trying several different views. Tomorrow will be the under wing video, which will allow me to see the "Fairings of Death", among other interesting things. :lol:

Well, I just uploaded a third video to YouTube. This time I skipped converting to MP4, and using Movie Maker worked straight with the .avi files.

I thought that would save a step, and it did -- but the video looks like CRAP. So, if you want HD, I guess you have to convert to MP4 before editing/uploading. Live and learn.

"Start again!"

But Jay... aren't you afraid that camera mounting scheme is going to make you fall from the sky in a burning, twisted ball of aluminum? Think of the children, Jay... the children.

:stirpot:

My wife has seen a few videos shot from GoPro cameras mounted to various planes, many of them RVs. Even she thinks the Hero is a pretty cool camera, and when I said I planned to mount one on the RV she just grinned and said she agreed. I'm glad I didn't succumb to the temptation to buy an NFlight cam from Sporty's during training, the GoPro looks like it's a lot better.

I've seen some mounting arrangements that looked pretty sketchy, but some pretty nice ones too. I especially liked the tailwheel spring mount, not a fan of the vertical stab mount. I agree that seeing the video from under the wing, facing forward would be nice.

Last edited:
It's been almost 90 days since Gastons, is it almost finished?;)

But Jay... aren't you afraid that camera mounting scheme is going to make you fall from the sky in a burning, twisted ball of aluminum? Think of the children, Jay... the children.

:stirpot:

My wife has seen a few videos shot from GoPro cameras mounted to various planes, many of them RVs. Even she thinks the Hero is a pretty cool camera, and when I said I planned to mount one on the RV she just grinned and said she agreed. I'm glad I didn't succumb to the temptation to buy an NFlight cam from Sporty's during training, the GoPro looks like it's a lot better.

I've seen some mounting arrangements that looked pretty sketchy, but some pretty nice ones too. I especially liked the tailwheel spring mount, not a fan of the vertical stab mount. I agree that seeing the video from under the wing, facing forward would be nice.

It'll be done on Wednesday. I just don't know which Wednesday yet. :)

Wiring the wings for lights now, and I'll put the wingtips on next. I'm hoping to get the wings out of the garage this month some time and bring the fuselage home. We're a little over 300 hours in now. And I'm still flying as much as I was before starting the RV.

Note the black bars on the sides:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-09-03 at 10.46.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-09-03 at 10.46.04 PM.png
    193 KB · Views: 61
Attaboy! Maybe we could just vote on which Wednesday we want to see it fly and provide more motivation.

It'll be done on Wednesday. I just don't know which Wednesday yet. :)

Wiring the wings for lights now, and I'll put the wingtips on next. I'm hoping to get the wings out of the garage this month some time and bring the fuselage home. We're a little over 300 hours in now. And I'm still flying as much as I was before starting the RV.

Early days. With one camera, you get only one point of view per flight. Once Jay has a chance to mount the camera in alternate positions on a number of flights, he can edit together the various angles into a single video.

I did that with my Fly Baby about ten years ago... installed the camera on the axle, recorded a touch and go or two. Installed it on the tail, did a couple of more. Pointed it backwards, lather, rinse, repeat. Edit the shots together, and it adds some visual interest.

This is a REALLY old video, low resolution. But it shows what I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDOG4E_pXs

Note to Jay: Wear the same hat every taping flight, and put Mary in the back pit every time, too. Otherwise, the lapses in continuity get pretty funny. :)

Ron Wanttaja

Okay, here's GoPro video #3, circling the Kiewit oil rig construction complex in Ingleside, across the bay from our island. These are some of the biggest manmade machines in the world, and they are pretty big even circling at 2000'. The crane they use was featured in Popular Mechanics not long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDjuI3p1XBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

*chuckle* Before each flight, I now wring my hands together in simulated fear.

Somehow, through it all, I persevere. :D

Note the black bars on the sides:
attachment.php

Yeah, I get it. The camera is set to its highest possible resolution, and I can find no aspect ratio adjustment.

It's gotta be here somewhere, maybe in how I'm editing the video...

Here are the camera's video settings:

Protune
Res: 1440 (that's max)
FPS: 48
FOV: W

It appears to be recording in 16:9, but I don't see a setting that sets that, specifically.
According to the current manual (H3 Black) 1440p/48 records at 4:3. 1080p records at 16:9.

Nauga,
who uses his at depth

Back