Ouch...this hurts to look at

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
Pictures from a recent Trinnie gearup landing at FDK. Story has it that folks on the ground were yelling "GEAR....GEAR....GEAR" over unicom. The pilot said he heard "deer....deer..." and was looking for deer when the prop hit the runway.

Attachments

• gearup_FDK1.JPG
    gearup_FDK1.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 126
  • gearup_FDK2.JPG
    gearup_FDK2.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 120
ouch is right. at first glance i was afraid it was yours!

Pity they didn't yell "GO AROUND" :(

Tell me it wasn't 169GT, please!

Oops - it was... I'm gonna smack the guy, I swear.

Last edited:
why is one of the tips curled forward instead of back like the other two?

Don't know - I'm trying to envision how the blade tip would be under downward and rearward force when the tip struck the runway, perhaps if it was the second tip to hit?

I haven't heard the story yet, but the trinnie gear is free-falling, so in the event of a hydraulic failure it falls down. Unless you damage or restrict the uplock mechanism somehow (ice or oversize tires getting stuck) there's really no way to have a failure failure to extend. I'd bet on distraction, perhaps after going around. I wonder if there was an instructor on board. Next time I'm up there I'll ask and get the story.

Sigh

the blades bend out or in depending on if the engine was developing power when the tip struck earth.

Pity they didn't yell "GO AROUND" :(

I'm thinking that if I heard someone yelling anything on unicom when I'm about to touch down and it didn't sound like "You're on fire!" I'd abort the landing and then try to figure out what they were yelling.

Awww, man!

Somebody better get out their metric tool set!

Back