Ouch, hail storm last night..

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
While grilling last night we had some small hail hit the house,no biggie as it was quite small.

Well flew home from Craig where I hangar the Toga which is 45 miles to the west tonight. Nice guy helped me secure the plane mentioned if I had seen the aircraft. Apparently the hail last night wasn't so small at the airport 4 miles as a crow flies from my house.

EVERY plane out on Tarmac now has damage including what appears almost new Malibu, beautiful 170 and recently redone Bonanza. Not sure if the 2PC 12s were there last night.

Such a sad site and I feel so bad for the owners. Just curious what does someone do after something like that?

And this is why you pay for hangar in the midwest. But people are cheap and will risk hail damage to save $40.

Get a large check from the insurance company.

Don't feel too bad for them. Some of them probably just had their fiscal asses saved.

LOL! :)

You just don't know and can't tell.

I used to wonder why people didn't fly airplanes the hell away from Hurricanes.

Sure some of them won't have coverage and others will work to replace their birds, but I bet your 'drome number of based birds goes down by about half.

Sad, but true.

Over night in a hangar is $20-$50 depending on the airport. :dunno:

Not in Steamboat, I believe it's something $150 or $200 first night and $100 each after. Very limited space also.

Hence is why I'm building hangar in Craig. Costs just to buy hangar being built are up to $125-$130 a square foot. Ridiculous

One of my pals had hail damage on his Skylane. The aircraft flew just fine. He haggled with his insurance company about the lost value (how much less he could get for a hail-damaged but otherwise functional Skylane) and they cut him a cheque.

Sometimes the hangar isn't available at any cost.

I've paid between free and $100 a night for hangar. For a Pilatus I'd guess between $100 and $250 depending on airport and availability. But even $100 people will whine and cry and say "I haven't paid this much in LaGuardia! I'll risk the hail!" and then when it's already hailing they want the airplane inside immediately (for half price because it's "just for an hour") and get upset when the line guys won't go out in the hail to move the airplane.

Pretty limited hangar space here in Shawnee as well and it's only like 40-50 a night for small planes :dunno:

I'm surprised with as much space that exists around that airport that there isn't more hangar space. There wasn't much space 20 years ago, guess things haven't changed much.

hail damage..just sell the plane to a flight school.

The lowest I have paid with weather in the area was 60 in the northeast you would be lucky at 150-250. If space available.

sounds like it's cheaper to let it get totaled outside. It wouldn't take much these days to total a plane from hail damage. Re-skining a whole top spam can gotta be $$$ these days on labor alone.

How much hail damage,would cause the aircraft to be totaled? Any idea?

Look carefully at your insurance policy. Many have a specific clause regarding hail and won't pay for replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sometimes the hangar isn't available at any cost.

No hangar = no plane ownership for me. Many others in the midwest must agree, it is rare to see a based aircraft tied down outside.

I will however leave the plane outside while away from home. That's a relatively small risk to take.

I'm surprised with as much space that exists around that airport that there isn't more hangar space. There wasn't much space 20 years ago, guess things haven't changed much.

Yeah, surprisingly :p Only a few hangars on the field. We're trying to get more though - plenty of space for them!

Long line of people waiting to pay $850/month at Palo Alto right now for a T-Hangar. I'm glad we don't get hail!

Here at JZP you can't get in a hanger for any amount of money. As there is no space available.

I'm not gonna say uproot your job and family in order to find hangar space for your hobby (unless retired), but lack of shelter is not going to stop me from owning and operating my own aircraft. Ultimately that's what insurance is for. Otherwise, the cost of bi-decennial plexiglass/paint repair is much less than hangaring in locations where supply is non-existent in the first place.

Back