Other Flying Options

br3800

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
br38
This pretty hard for me to write but I'm just trying to get information so I can know what my options are. Basically helicopter flight training for the Navy has not gone as well as I hoped. It started when I began Basic Instruments, I struggled to get the instrument scan down and do the Oscar Pattern because I was rushed through the BI sims we do before we get to the helo and didn't really gain much from it. On top of the the sim is different from the helo in terms of handling so I had to deal with that as well. Due to these struggles I basically came down to a last chance flight, passed that and passed my check ride, but needless to say I was on a thin rope going into Radio Instruments. I did fine in RIs, and only had two check rides to go. The first is to see if I can still do all my normal and steep approaches,sliding landings, and auto-rotations. The second is the RI check. Well it had been almost a month since I've been able to practice approaches and do auto-rotations so needless to say I knew I was going to be rusty but I was going to give it my best shot. Well the check didn't go well, and now I sit here waiting to see what my fate will be. I'm just disapointed because I've come so far and am only a month and half from wings and now it that dream might be taken from me. I'm also kinda frustrated because it just seems like they don't care about you or your training they only care about meeting their numbers. There's been quite a few flights in training where I felt I could have gotten better quality. Now granted many people get through this training alright but I find that everybody has had different experiences. I still love flying though and I still want to continue doing it If I get the boot from military flight training. So I'm just trying to get advice on what I can do to advance my aviation training in the civilian world.

Well sorry to hear BR. I had several friends struggle in various phases in Army flight school. Most kept at it and eventually graduated and only a few got the boot.

I'd say just keep going back for more. I imagine you all have boards just like in the Army and you can appeal to the results as well. I would hope they ask you in your thoughts as to if you have the heart to continue. I've seen guys just flat out say "I'm done." If you really want to be there and you honestly believe you can get through the instrument phase, then let them know.

If the results don't end in your favor and you get sent packing, what's the Navy policy? Ours varied. Some got sent back to enlisted, some retained their commission in a different MOS.

If you do get sent packing you should still have Post 9/11 GI Bill for flight training. I can't recommend helos or FW since a lot depends on personal choice. From what I've read, it seems like a lot of former enlisted are going helos because they've heard the hiring chances are greater. Not sure about that one. They'll be competing for limited CFI slots for crappy pay and over 2,000 hrs away from getting a decent flying gig.

Either way, I hope everything works out. Just don't give up and accept no for an answer.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear, I'd deal with what's right in front of you 1st, see how it shakes out, then go from there. It may not help that the military seems to be contracting presently.

There are options. I would think depending on your entry program, you may be on active duty for a while, or not. That is should the flight training road end.

Either way, no matter how it turns out, redirect and keep the motivation going. There are those 'immersion' type training programs you could enter, to continue flight training. The general trend for future pilot hiring is good.

Wait and see what happens, and if you get a second chance (and you want to take it), go find a private helo to mess with as much as possible on liberty.

Well sorry to hear BR. I had several friends struggle in various phases in Army flight school. Most kept at it and eventually graduated and only a few got the boot.

I'd say just keep going back for more. I imagine you all have boards just like in the Army and you can appeal to the results as well. I would hope they ask you in your thoughts as to if you have the heart to continue. I've seen guys just flat out say "I'm done." If you really want to be there and you honestly believe you can get through the instrument phase, then let them know.

If the results don't end in your favor and you get sent packing, what's the Navy policy? Ours varied. Some got sent back to enlisted, some retained their commission in a different MOS.

If you do get sent packing you should still have Post 9/11 GI Bill for flight training. I can't recommend helos or FW since a lot depends on personal choice. From what I've read, it seems like a lot of former enlisted are going helos because they've heard the hiring chances are greater. Not sure about that one. They'll be competing for limited CFI slots for crappy pay and over 2,000 hrs away from getting a decent flying gig.

Either way, I hope everything works out. Just don't give up and accept no for an answer.

If you get sent packing you go to a redesignation board and end up doing something else or you can get the boot all together. Usually they retain Academy people more since they already put so much money into them. I'm still hanging in there, even since the first struggle I had. It's just annoying like I said when you really have no control of your training and because they are flooding more people into the pipeline and they have to do so many flights the quality of training I feel goes down. Doesn't help either that these Bell 206's are pretty much on their last legs. If I do civilian training I would probably go back to fixed wing because I feel overall the cost would be cheaper for building time and ratings. Especially if you want turbine helo time.

If you get sent packing you go to a redesignation board and end up doing something else or you can get the boot all together. Usually they retain Academy people more since they already put so much money into them. I'm still hanging in there, even since the first struggle I had. It's just annoying like I said when you really have no control of your training and because they are flooding more people into the pipeline and they have to do so many flights the quality of training I feel goes down. Doesn't help either that these Bell 206's are pretty much on their last legs. If I do civilian training I would probably go back to fixed wing because I feel overall the cost would be cheaper for building time and ratings. Especially if you want turbine helo time.

Yeah I used to think our 67s were ragged out until I saw some of those 57s at Florala. Man, they were old. Not sure why the Navy hasn't upgraded yet. Army is getting ready to go with brand new LUH-72s.

Anyway, you have options. Hopefully the Navy pans out. If not, max out your GI Bill on FW ratings and go CFI job searching. I've got my VA approval letter sitting in my desk for ME FW training. Once I get a few other obligations (engine overhaul) taken care of, I'm going to knock that out.

Back