OT: Hungry??

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
I picked some flowers yesterday, and a lot of plums today. I had to make a steak to go with that plum salsa. (I made a lot of that too, but I have to take some to work tomorrow.) Anyone want to fly into Portland for pie and coffee?
mmmmmm.jpg

You should post the recipe for your goodies there.

If I wasn't so far away I would join you.
:)

Wish we were closer. But here you go, best as I could remember, I never measure anything but the amounts should be OK.

Plum Salsa

Plums! hmmm...it was a big batch, about ten, twelve, fifteen? (These are small black plums, not big red ones.) Dice them up, skins and all.
two large ripe tomatoes,, or six or eight Romas, diced, and save the juice that comes out for the bowl!
1 large onion, diced
1 nice cucumber, diced (Use more if you want, it's lovely)
Two or three jalapenos, seeds and all, chopped fine
I garlic clove (optional)
Some lime or lemon juice (optional...I used three packets of RealLemon powder)
I also threw in 1/3rd of a ripe mango that I had to use up, and added a little extra cayenne pepper.
FRESH parsely (or cilantro, which to me tastes like creosote, so I use parsley), maybe ten sprigs, chopped coarsely, stems and all.

Throw everything into a bowl and stir to mix all the ingredients. Then eat. I eat this salsa as a side dish by itself or with grilled meats or on a wrap with cheese. It does not keep long, so eat it up!

PS--Oh yeah, I never use salt, either, so if you are a salt freak, use a pinch. Any more than that and it will upset the balance of tastes in this salsa.

PLUM GOOD PIE

Your favorite crust, top and bottom

Preheat oven to 375.

Line bottom of pie pan with bottom crust.

Filling:
Cut up about twenty or so plums into quarters or sixths, skins and all! Throw them into a bowl. (Depending on size of your pie pan, you might need more, or less, so more is always better. You can always cook the extra on the side and use it as jam for your toast.)

Into the bowl, throw: sweetener of your choice, 1/2 to 2/3rd cup. (You do not need much if the plums are very ripe and sweet, less is more.) I use a blend of Splenda and Xylitol since I can't use sugar.
Pinch or so of cinnamon, do not use a lot.
Cornstarch (to thicken)...hmm, depends on just how many plums. Two to three tablespoons.

Mix all this stuff in a bowl until everything is evenly distributed. Dump into pie pan (into which, hopefully, you already put the crust.) Throw the top crust on the top. (OF course.) And crimp down the edges. (Do not use your teeth for this, or vise-grips. Just---clean---fingers.)

Cut a couple slits for steam to escape. (Don't want the pie to explode now, do we?)

Bake at 375 40-50 minutes or until it smells really, really good and you open the door to see the crust is nice and golden brown.

COOL. This is important, because the sauce thickens as the pie cools.

NOTE: If you use a frying pan to bake your pie, like I did (since my pie pans went AWOL...I give away pies and never get my pans back), please make sure you remember to use a pot holder before grabbing the handle (like I did) before the pie has cooled sufficiently.

This pie is to die for served slightly warm with some whipped cream and really, really good French roast coffee.

Mmmmmmm.... pie.....

As soon as I get signed off to solo this Champ here in San Diego, I'll let you know... just bake another pie and leave it on the windowsill; I'll fly with the window open and follow my nose. :goofy:

... just bake another pie and leave it on the windowsill; I'll fly with the window open and follow my nose. :goofy:

The back deck would be more accessible to the Champ, I'll leave it on the railing. I suggest making your approach from the south and following 99W toward downtown Portland. I'll put a windsock on the back deck since the wind chimes are not a very good indicator of wind direction. If you see the tram cable, you've gone too far (and hopefully haven't flown into it.) Just don't forget to return the pie plate...I can't afford to replace my Cephalon pots and pans. :)

Originally Posted by smigaldi

Great composition on the photo too. You are an artist!
Indeed! That was my first thought. Very nice photo! :yes:

Why thank you, I actually am an artist. You can see some of my stuff at www.teryvisions.com. ;) (None of the fun airplane related stuff I did is up there, though.)

oh yum! that looks wonderful! great photo.

Thanks, Elizabeth--it is way yummy. Now that I actually went and got some pie plates, I am making more pies since my plum salsa was a HUGE hit at work today.

You think I can finance the rest of my stalled flight training by offering to bake pies for the instructor and for a discount on the rental on the aircraft???:confused:

Absolutely lovely composition of your photo, Tery. I like how everything (even those sunflowers!) focuses on your delicious pie. Excellent.

Jim

Back