OT: A Different sort of Airfoil

terzap

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
terzap
I've checked in now and then but have been pretty scarce. Thinking about y'all, though. I haven't been flying much (well, not since November) but got to fly a different sort of wing on Sunday. Thought y'all might enjoy some pics from a gorgeous afternoon in Portland, OR.

"Mt Hood Between the Sheets"
hood_sheets.jpg

"Mt. Hood and the Mighty Columbia" (actually KPDX is just to the right!)
hood_columbia1.jpg

"Hood and Sails" (we were in a boat very much like the one in the right foreground.)
hood_sails2.jpg

Nice photos. I'm not into water sports due to some unfortunate accidents when I was younger but the photos remind me of my house near Tacoma. You could sit in my hot tub and be looking at Mt. Rainier (when the clouds were not out).

Yep, the only thing wrong with the day was there wasn't ENOUGH wind, which reminded me of doing slow flight. It took a lot more tweaky manipulation to keep it going, not only with tacking and stuff, but with the sail trim for mainsail and jib. (I haven't done much with those yet, but watched closely as my sister and her boyfriend worked them while I "drove".) It was fun coming back down the river with the wind in our favor then. We got going good enough for a war whoop or two. I love the feel of the tiller and the sound the boat makes knifing through the water when you have it right in its sweet spot--it's almost as good as making a nice landing. (Except it lasts a little longer! LOL!!)

Looks like fun. I'm jealous. Unfortunately I can't afford both boating and flying.

Looks like fun. I'm jealous. Unfortunately I can't afford both boating and flying.

I can't afford either right now. :) I haven't been flying because of $$$, and my sister is the one with the sailing club membership. All I had to do was A. be lucky enough to have her for a sister, and B. show up.

Gotta get my jollies while they're free, I guess! :)

Back