Osprey crash in Japan

Well it’s OR rates have never been it’s strong suit. Keep hearing it hasn’t matured yet but jeez, it’s been in service for 16 years. Some of the maint stuff should’ve been worked out long ago. The aerodynamic quirks are understandable but they still have clutch and sand ingestion issues???
My knowledge is limited to watching V-22s fly. Then seeing some parked on the ground. That’s about it. But I was around the rotorcraft community for a while, and there’s always some oddball thing coming up. For example, you may remember short shafts in the Black Hawks blowing up and catching fire —that one was tricky. My former boss was on a red team to investigate it. As we saw on the video you posted, parts and their respective suppliers can turn out to be an issue. If you’ve got stuff running around in a gearbox or in a clutch and somebody changed suppliers or the metallurgy changed— well, then you got a problem.

Having been at the beginning of the AH-64 fielding process there were similar issues with it. 9 out of the first 10 battalions (21-24 aircraft per battalion) suffered a fatal class A accident (all fatals are class A) during the Battalion certification process. The 10th Battalion was the first to complete the certification without an accident. The V-22 has been around for almost 25 years so a little longer in the tooth than the AH-64 at the time…

The V-22 has been around for almost 25 years so a little longer in the tooth than the AH-64 at the time…
Agreed, so why the clutches or whatever going bad all of a sudden?

Agreed, so why the clutches or whatever going bad all of a sudden?
The "clutches" are equal to a freewheel unit you are familar with and are located in the input quill from each engine. And the problem has been around for years.

While the root cause is not known, they have put a life limit on the clutches as there was a trend in high time failure rates.

Technically one clutch actually slips first then reengages which causes the drivetrain damage. And its usually the interconnect system that suffers the damage and not the clutch directly.

Other rotor type aircraft have suffered similar issues with these clutches/freewheel units over the years. So its not exclusively a V22 issue. For example, during a ground run on a BO105 had a clutch slip and twisted an input shaft.

Regardless, on the V22 accident side the causes are basically split between mechanical snd pilot error. And when compared to other military aircraft its reliability % is in the middle as well.

Regardless, on the V22 accident side the causes are basically split between mechanical snd pilot error.
I've always thought that the pilot error percentage was further partitioned with design-induced mishaps, including controls/displays or flying qualities being sub-optimal.

6 per 100,000 hrs for the Air Force and that was back in 2021. USMC seems to be getting better results but I know they have OR rate issues as well. Guy I worked with got 8 hrs in a year with the Reserves. Said they broke a lot.

I've always thought that the pilot error percentage was further partitioned with design-induced mishaps, including controls/displays or flying qualities being sub-optimal.
Given the high profile of V22 accidents the reports I've seen keep the mechanical/systems issues separate from the pilot induced issues. On that side you'll see flying aircraft outside its design parameters as a common error cause.

And its not so much that the aircraft has matured as the basic design has not matured yet. The V280 will be the next design level and will probably suffer its own design issues as the tiltrotor design continues to mature.

Keep in mind the V22 was the 1st production model after 40 years of prototypes.

Last edited:
No details given from NAVAIR.

Bell / Boeing product but I think it’s mostly Bell.

Sitting on the ramp for three months didn’t do those airframes any good. Hopefully they were doing weekly run ups and cycling the systems.

Bell / Boeing product but I think it’s mostly Bell.
Last I read, Boeing handles the fuselage and its sub-systems to include the cockpit and flight controls. Rolls Royce provides the engines. Bell provides the prop-rotors, tail, wing, and handles the final assembly and flight checks.

Wonder what happened with those troublesome V-22 clutches, how they work on the V-280, and whether any advances will eventually propagate back to the Marines. It's a bad thing when you're flying along doing everything right, even preflighted correctly, then your machine kills you and everyone on board.

Back