Oshkosh vs Sun N Fun

flykelley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flykelley
Hi Gang
I have been to Sun N Fun 4 time's now, mostly to get away from the cold Michigan winter's. I will be going to Oshkosh for the first time this year and was wonrdering is there any major difference between the two event's? I will be camping at the Cessna Base Camp where in Sun N Fun I alway's stay at my sister inlaw's house. It will be great to be on the field for the whole 3 days.

Regards Mike

Sun n Fun is about 1/4 to 1/3 the experience of Oshkosh in my personal opinion. There are advantages to both. You can see all of SnF in 3 days. You can not see all of Oshkosh in a week.

{stop by the -51 area in warbirds and say hi!}

I see them as each having stronger and weaker points:

SnF to me was a much smaller, more of a regional type event. While fun, didn't think the approaches and departures were handled as well from a safety standpoint. We stayed in a local hotel and didn't get the flavor of eating at night with a group in OSH.

OSH had more exhibitors; many more folks and a group that went annually that seemed much larger. Had as much fun out of the exhibit area as in it!! There are the groups like Bonanzas to OSH; Cessna group, warbird and classic group where many more folks I know attend. Many more new product intos at OSH (or upgrades).

Each can be a lot of fun; OSH just has more going on.

Best,

Dave

Oshkosh distances = SnF x 10. I think the distance from auto parking to the flight line at Oshkosh is further than all of Sun n' Fun from edge to edge. Maybe that's just becuase you can park a lot closer at Sun n' Fun.

There really is no way to compare the 2, S&F is nothing more than an oversized and grossly overinflated airshow, OSHKOSH is an aviation event of un-paralleled proportions.

I whole heartedly agree with Mr Campbells opinion of S&F, In fact i think he is being kind.

SnF has spring breakers though... That can be a plus or a minus... :)

I've been to Sun-N-Fun and Oshkosh several times, more to Oshkosh because it's closer. But for me I like Sun-N-Fun a little bit better. It's definitely smaller which means less crowds and I like that. Living in Michigan I sure do like the idea of Florida in April.

Jeannie

Maverick said:
I've been to Sun-N-Fun and Oshkosh several times, more to Oshkosh because it's closer. But for me I like Sun-N-Fun a little bit better. It's definitely smaller which means less crowds and I like that. Living in Michigan I sure do like the idea of Florida in April.

Jeannie
Thats why I have been to Sun N Fun 4 time's, but now its time for Oshkosh in a tent. I can't wait for it to get here. See everybody at Cessna's Base camp.

Regards Mike

Well Mike i've been to Osh twice , Once stayed at a house , and second time Camped. Camping is alot more FUN and IMHO the only way to go. I'll be there thur. thru Sat or Sun.camping in GA Camping,beside Ed Gs Mooney or my Warrior, not sure which yet. SEE YOU THERE
Dave G.

I prefer OSH. Much more stuff to do and you can even walk into "town" easily, at least to get food and supplies.

Camping is definitely the way to go however. Last year and this year I'm plane-free so going commercial and staying in a wisconsin hotel and driving to the show.

My daughter has just completed potty training however so next year we're going camping again!

Hello All,

Might as well make this my first post on the forum. The last airshow I attended was at Edwards AFB, when I was a USAF-ROTC Cadet. Of course, I also attended the San Francisco Red Bull Air Races too and found that to be a blast. Seeing the hyper-mono races over water, was very fun and even exciting for my Wife - which is saying a lot. My only wish was that there were more competitors at the Red Bull event AND a way to adjust the course after so many heats were flown. Also, there should have been more integration between the racing and the audio-commentary, to give the people a better sense of what was going on. Many people there had no clue what they were watching and therefore could not fully appreciate that style of flying and the skill it takes to maneuver that close to the deck, with that kind of precision and at those air speeds.

Have not yet been to either Sun’n Fun or Osh, unfortunately. In a way, I’m just getting back into general aviation after being away for a very long time with other “career” responsibilities that simply did not allow me the time to dedicate to remaining as active as I really wanted. So, I never fully finished all my ratings which is step number one now that I’m returning to the GA community.

My bit targets will be a Jet Type Rating of some kind, lots of Aerobatic training and preparation and tons of night flying under (of course) IFR conditions. The goals is to prepare fully for taking delivery of a new Javelin sometime in 2008, but I’ve got a ton of flight work to get done first before I will feel “ready” for such a “rocket” with wings.

Anyway, I may be able to make it to the last two days of Osh this year, but that is not confirmed yet. If so, I’ll let you know how it went for me the first time around. Regardless, I’m not planning on missing Osh 2007 and I hope to be able to fly-in the Javelin one year shortly after that. We’ll see how things go - right now, I need to get back to the basics of high-perf flight training.

Nice web site (forum)!

Been to each about 10 times. OSH is Sun n Fun on steroids. Twice the show (or more). OSH has many more homebuilts and many more forums. Manufacturer displays are slightly more at OSH, and noteworthy announcements are typically more common at OSH. Also more cameo appearances by really cool airplanes at OSH. Sun n Fun has much better food on the field, but OSH has closer amenties off the field. Sun n Fun has more shade. Airplane campers are much more a part of the action at OSH. RV campers (as in recreational vehicles) are more part of the action at SNF. OSH lines the pockets of the Pobereznys, SNF lines the pockets of whoever it is that runs it. Make no mistake, neither is a charitable endeavor. (Think pro sports pricing.)

Sun N Fun wasn't as clean and had a lot more bugs, but it was more cozy and felt like a small town rather than the city atmosphere at OSH. For me, OSH is more worth the effort in time and money spent getting there, and has more educational forums available.

Diana said:
Sun N Fun wasn't as clean and had a lot more bugs, but it was more cozy and felt like a small town rather than the city atmosphere at OSH. For me, OSH is more worth the effort in time and money spent getting there, and has more educational forums available.
Diana Are you flying the Citbra to Oshkosh? Man those are a fun plane to fly, love flying with the window open.

Regards Mike

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. :)

flykelley said:
Diana Are you flying the Citbra to Oshkosh?
The Citabria is in pieces right now (see attached) and I had originally hoped it would be finished in time for Oshkosh. It won't be done for a long, long, long, long time. I was hoping to compete at a contest in Kansas City in October, but that is doubtful now.

Attachments

• Citabria  July 5.JPG
    Citabria July 5.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 28
Ken Ibold said:
It always does on a re-cover. :(

I just met a pilot with a Beech Staggerwing at KFCM who's planning a recover starting this winter. His prediction was two to three years of downtime doing it himself or six months if he paid to have it done.

Ken Ibold said:
It always does on a re-cover. :(
Hmmmmm, seems like you tried to tell me that awhileback, but I didn't really think it would happen.

flykelley said:
Thats why I have been to Sun N Fun 4 time's, but now its time for Oshkosh in a tent. I can't wait for it to get here. See everybody at Cessna's Base camp.

Excellent!

Where are you going for your seaplane rating? I'm planning on flying seaplanes at CAD the weekend before OSH. No ratings that weekend though. Hopefully they keep the yellow birds on floats long enough that I can get the Comm-ASEL first and then Comm-ASES before they put them back on skis. :yes:

flyingcheesehead said:
Excellent!

Where are you going for your seaplane rating? I'm planning on flying seaplanes at CAD the weekend before OSH. No ratings that weekend though. Hopefully they keep the yellow birds on floats long enough that I can get the Comm-ASEL first and then Comm-ASES before they put them back on skis. :yes:
Hi Kent
I think either TVC or CAD, if I don't get to it this summer maybe next spring in Flordia around Sun N Fun time. I would rather do it here in Michigan. I have a friend who has a Challenger and he just bought floats for it, says all I have to do is pay for gas. Have you ever been to CAd before, thats right down the road from our other house.

Regard's Mike

Last edited:
flykelley said:
Have you ever beeb to CAd before,

I'll recommend CAD to anyone. I got my seaplane and tail wheel there. They have a variety of lakes to land on, so you get a taste of a little bit of everything.

Barb

One Short said:
I'll recommend CAD to anyone. I got my seaplane and tail wheel there. They have a variety of lakes to land on, so you get a taste of a little bit of everything.

Barb
Hi Barb
Do they fly out of the CAD or are they based on the lake? I know where CAD is I drive by it on the way to the house.

Regards Mike

flykelley said:
Do they fly out of the CAD or are they based on the lake? I know where CAD is I drive by it on the way to the house.

When on floats, as I understand it, they're based on Lake Cadillac. Wheels or skis, they keep 'em at CAD. When flying on skis, we took off from CAD parallel to the runway and basically started the takeoff roll (um, skid) from near the ILS shack. Easily off the ground well before the first taxiway. Then we'd do most of the landings on the lakes (Cadillac, Pleasant, and... What's the other one again?) before landing back at CAD in the same area we used for takeoff.

I'll be flying the seaplanes up there next weekend (22nd/23rd) before heading to OSH and will report back afterwards. :yes:

Hi Kent
My wife is headed up north right now, but I have to work so I'm stuck at home.:mad: Otherwise I would swing by and watch you. Oh well Oshkosh isn't far away yet and I will be able to play with the plane's.

Regards Mike

Don't forget to take the shuttle bus to the seaplane base for a relaxing few moments of quiet time

Back