Oshkosh -- the Touchstone of our Lives

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I was a young man when I first attended Oshkosh, 32 years ago. I rode in on a motorcycle, my favorite gal on the back -- the same gal I'm with today, BTW -- and marveled at the airplanes and the controlled chaos.

I wasn't a pilot -- I couldn't even dream of flying, yet -- but I was a student of aviation history, and I was seeing planes FLYING that I had only read about in books. And I was surrounded by my heroes from WWII. Paul Tibbets, Pappy Boyington, Jimmy Doolittle -- they were all THERE. I was instantly enthralled, and although I could only afford to go on the field for a single day, I stayed in OSH for several days and watched from the opposite side of the field.

It opened a longing in me that I couldn't understand, or even describe. But then, it was over, and it was back to real life.

A year passed, and we were there again. This time, we were camped in a friend's back yard, driving our '82 Mazda GLC. Again, it was aviation heaven, and -- although I didn't know it at the time -- deep hooks were being planted. (And, BTW, we saw a new network called "Music Television", or "MTV", for the first time at our friend's house that year. It was 1984.)

In 1990 our son was born, in August. Mary's doctor disallowed her from attending Oshkosh that year, and she was SO angry! But I went, by myself, and called her (from a pay phone!) every hour, to make sure she wasn't in labor...

Fast forward five years. Our daughter has joined us, and we are now attending annually in our pop-up camper, parking at Mary's aunt's house in Winneconne, just North of OSH. We drive in to the show every day, for several days, and enjoy the show immensely. I am still not a pilot, still unable to assemble the various puzzle parts, but I now have two little kids, a mortgage, a career.

And flying is for rich people...

It's now 1994, and I'm back in the corporate world, working for a guy who owns a Cherokee 140. He senses my desire to fly, and helps me through the various hoops. He takes me by the hand to the airport, introduces me to a CFI, and -- most importantly -- offers to rent me his plane AT COST. Even though I have no business spending the money, my wife supports my decision, knowing that I will never have this chance again.

It's now 1998. We've attended OSH 16 times, now, and I've left the corporate world for the last time, starting another, more successful, business. And I am finally an aircraft owner! We fly our Cherokee Warrior into OSH for the first time, and camp in the North 40. It is a wondrous occasion, a homecoming of sorts that seems more like a dream than reality. Our two kids, aged 5 and 8, are in the back seat.

We have ARRIVED. Finally.

Move forward with me through time once again. It's now 2002, and we've outgrown the Warrior. Our first Oshkosh in the Pathfinder, with it's immense 1460-pound useful load, is an epiphany for us. No long must we weigh every stuffed animal the kids want to bring! At ages 9 and 12, they are getting bigger by the minute, and we're not getting any smaller...but Atlas is up to the challenge.

2008 comes around, quicker than you think. That little boy I carried around Oshkosh in a backpack, back in 1991, is now a pilot himself, and flies himself into the Vintage Camping area in our 1948 Ercoupe. We follow in Atlas, a few days later, and offer to let him set up camp with us out in the North 40 -- only to find that he has been "adopted" by all the graybeards in Vintage, and he doesn't want to leave his buddies!

Our son became a man, that week.

2013 quickly rolls around. Our kids are grown, and we have sold Atlas. We no longer need his immense useful load, and have replaced him with Amelia, our swift, nimble, aerobatic RV-8A. She is everything Atlas was not, and our flight in from Texas is done in record time.

But our kids still follow us to Oshkosh, with both our daughter and our son driving in from various points on the map. They have grown up on Wittman Field, after all, and know every square inch of the immense Airventure grounds. Oshkosh is the touchstone of their lives, the one true constant in a churning sea of jobs, deaths, marriages, and moves.

Through it all, there has been Oshkosh. Through four businesses, countless jobs, in three different states. Through births, deaths, marriages, illness, responsibility -- WHATEVER -- we, as a family have always made it to Oshkosh.

In the end, Oshkosh has become our Field of Dreams. EAA built it, and we came -- again and again. We will not -- cannot -- resist her call. She is there, wonderful and embracing, just as she was so many years ago. We will be there again this year for #32 in a row, and we are just as excited about the flight from Texas as we were that very first time, way back in the 20th century.

For those who have never attended, I urge you to do so. For those who are coming, we'll see you in just a few weeks! :)

Last edited:
I've been to one large fly in.... I can't imagine why I'd ever go to another one. Too many people. Too hot, no shade, expensive. I'd rather be at a Holiday Inn eating Subway.

I've been to one large fly in.... I can't imagine why I'd ever go to another one. Too many people. Too hot, no shade, expensive. I'd rather be at a Holiday Inn eating Subway.

... and pulling the legs off of grasshoppers for your fun ...

Jim

Good job Jay. I try to go to OSH every other year,and sun n fun every year. Have also been going to the light sport expo since it's inception. Hope to make OSH this year.

What a sad post. :(

Last year was my first OSH. Wanted to go since I learned to fly in Canada as a teen. This year, I am taking my 21 yo son who got his PPL in March. We are flying to OSH for fun in the 20th for the day, as I don't want to fly in during the mayhem. Maybe next year well fly in for the real deal, but this year we are driving.

Going to my first OSH this year. I'm 47 and got my SP ticket when I was 42. I'm a late bloomer, but excited to be going!

Like Jay, I started going before I got my license and plane. It has become a yearly event, but I really have no excuse with my home field 40 miles south of OSH, and my house less than a 90 minutes drive.

This will be my 23rd year at Oshkosh. It was 22 years ago that I decided I had enough of sitting on the ground and went back and got current again (I had stopped flying for ten years). I then got on the early internet (rec.aviation) and CompuServe's AVSIG and asked if anybody had a spare seat. I got about three answers but Paul Bertorelli was first and offered to pick me up in his Mooney and he had an extra room reservation at the dorms for me even. We stayed three days and that wasn't nearly enough.

The next year I announced to my (future) wife that I was intending to fly to Oshkosh in one of the club planes and she asked if she could come. She did the research and said we should camp with the plane. By the time we got back she was ready to get her pilot's license. The next year she had her certificate with the ink still wet. The next year after that she was flying our Navion in. I eventually had to marry that woman.

We've been to one wedding during the show and have certainly seen other people married, children born (and start coming to Oshkosh) and grow up, and alas a few even pass away.

I believe Jay's line to this "greybeard" was to that I should try to keep his son away from the "beer for breakfast" crowd in Vintage.

Margy's own kids weren't all that interested. Ian did come up with us one year and had a good time. He found some similar aged girl over in the ultralight area and we hardly saw him for the rest of the show.

Last edited:
Oh POA, I've been to Oshkosh (and S&F) twice. That's sort of how I feel... almost.

Almost Not!

Seeing the sentiment written down that way, I may just have to go back this year to clear the stink.

Nice piece Jay!

Nice post, Jay. I've been an aviation nut for far too long to not have made it to Oshkosh yet. I feel shame. :(

One day though - one day!

Sign me up! I'll be on the FISKE arrival, if the weather is doggy doo, I'll drive.

Hmm, I've loved aviation and airplanes for as long as I can remember, but I'm not sure I'd like Oshkosh. Flying out of a grass strip and sharing a flight with a friend or two are my ideas of a good time. I went to an airshow recently and enjoyed it, but the crowds and the heat and the somewhat repetitive acts made me glad it was for a fairly short time. I'm just not sure I'd like all airplanes, all the time for days at a time. Maybe I should give it a try, but other things take priority. :dunno:

One thing I would enjoy is sitting near the end of the runway, listening to the radio, and watching the planes come in.

Jay, I really enjoyed your narrative!

I have attended since my first one in 2001...started taking my boy 7 years ago and it is a summer ritual for us.

Hmm, I've loved aviation and airplanes for as long as I can remember, but I'm not sure I'd like Oshkosh. Flying out of a grass strip and sharing a flight with a friend or two are my ideas of a good time. I went to an airshow recently and enjoyed it, but the crowds and the heat and the somewhat repetitive acts made me glad it was for a fairly short time. I'm just not sure I'd like all airplanes, all the time for days at a time. Maybe I should give it a try, but other things take priority. :dunno:

One thing I would enjoy is sitting near the end of the runway, listening to the radio, and watching the planes come in.

We spend most of a week there and barely notice the airshow. From the aircraft on static display, to the forums, the workshops, the vendor areas, the arrivals, and all of the great people, there is always something interesting going on.

Very nice write up. I think it's a great feat to have made aviation such part and parcel of your family's yearly dynamic for decades. I hope to be able to continue to afford my ability to include my wife and son in this avocation. We started just the girl and I, commuting to her every other weekend 420NM one way on a warrior. That was 250 hours in one year. These days it's 40more hp in an ArrowII with the baby and now wife. So far we did 90 hours on the first year of ownership to grandparents, the beach, friends, and the monthly 'get out of this pork-barrel DOD armpit location' weekend trips under 2 hours. We've also used it as a "connecting flight" to hub cities to get the wife and kid on the aluminum tube to see the other set of grandparents in PR.

Aviation is part of our lifestyle indeed. It's not cheap, but I work hard to try to carve out a slice of the family budget to afford it. I'm personally not attracted to big controlled-chaos gatherings like Oshkosh, but if it sparks the interest of a kid to become an adult like me, who works hard to afford to participate in keeping GA alive in this Country, then I'm all for it.

Oh boy, we have a forum spelling nazi. Don't you have some guy with a radio problem to berate?

No, just a 38 year history of giving Oshkosh forums that cretins like you couldn't understand if your life depended on it.

You will note that South Carolina is one of the states that I have studiously avoided. You may wish to reflect on that.

Bye, bye, Bubba. Or is it Billy Bob?

Jim

Last edited:

It's so much more than that. I once thought similarly.

No more. I partially have Kent to thank for that after a midnight (or later) tour of the grounds.

(See that right there is something you'll never do at most aviation events... Wander around after midnight talking airplanes with a friend and people-watching...)

It's nearly impossible to explain. But if you ever do go, stay on the field. The off site stuff is fine but you miss out on something.

Plus if you're renting it, what better way to wake up in the morning, every morning, that the sounds of radials and Merlin's... multiple... departing in formation for morning sunrise photo shoots?

Pretty damn nice alarm clock, compared to the other 51 weeks of the year.

If you're in Scholler you'll hear them a little fainter, but you'll know it's time to get moving when the helicopters start 'round the pattern and the early bird ultralight guys are a buzzin' over.

And it doesn't stop all day long for a week.

No, just a 38 year history of giving Oshkosh forums that cretins like you couldn't understand if your life depended on it.

You will note that South Carolina is one of the states that I have studiously avoided. You may wish to reflect on that.

Jim

Settle down Jim. Ha.

Or I'll show him where your airplane is in the North 40 once we convince him it's not just an airshow or fly-in, and we'll TP your camp!

Hahaha. ;) ;) ;)

Nice write-up indeed, Jay.

Me? I went to OSH in 1980. I didn't really enjoy it mostly because I don't like crowds (i.e. masses of humanoids). I haven't been back and, honestly, don't have the desire to ever go back. Just one more "to each his own" thing.

You all have fun though.

Actually, it's more accurate to say that I HAVE been back, just not during air venture. I visited OSH three or four times when I was working in WI. But those visits were on relatively quiet weekends. Once was the weekend of the annual ski plane fly in. That's much more up my alley...spending time with a few dozen fellow aviators...not a few hundred thousand of 'em.

Holiday Inn, or Holiday Inn Express?

(And, BTW, we saw a new network called "Music Television", or "MTV", for the first time at our friend's house that year. It was 1984.)

That's when I was born... WOW!!

For those who have never attended, I urge you to do so.

I have yet to attend, have been to some large aviation events, but nothing on that scale. I hope to eventually have the means to go every year. And eventually fly my own plane in as well.

Great write up Jay, I love this hobby and it is stories like this that let me know I made the right choice, no matter how many negative things appear on this message board.

Jim

Oh boy, I'm impressed, 38 years of giving forums that even engineers don't understand....I change my mind, sign me up!!!! sounds like a real riot.

South Carolina appreciates your dedication to the cause, we really do.

You may wish to reflect on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

bye bye, Jim, Jimmy. Or is it Joanne? Ya never know in California.

I've been going to Airventure since it was held in Rockford, IL, back in the 60's. Kyle has it right, OSH is way more than aerobatic routines. Its the forums to learn new things and brushup on old skills. Meet and learn from industry experts instead of relying on outdated old fart info. See the latest and greatest innovations for home built aircraft.

There is a reason experimental are the most successful segment of aviation now, and OSH is the reason why.

Holiday Inn, or Holiday Inn Express?

This was the first year I went to Sun-n-Fun. I spent a lot of it on the deck of the Hilton Garden Inn drinking gin and tonics, watching the Blue Angels.

Got my ticket two years after my first real job. Flew to Osh 6 months later, might have been my first extensive cross country. Was definitely my first vacation in 7 years, and has been my annual vacation ever since, except the one year the place flooded, I couldn't land and got sick enough to develop a 104 degree fever.

They oughta just call it what it really is, "World's Largest Sausage-Fest"

If your idea of awesome is hanging out with a bunch of out of shape dudes and not showering for a week, go for it. I'll go somewhere else where there's better scenery and hygiene.

If your idea of awesome is hanging out with a bunch of out of shape dudes and not showering for a week, go for it. I'll go somewhere else where there's better scenery and hygiene.

:goofy:

:rofl:

I don't care who you are...that's funny right there!

:yesnod:

Why are you looking at the dudes? The rest of us are looking at the planes.

The scenery is pretty good for those of us not into sausage jockeying.

He needs to hang out with a better crowd. We've got quite a few women in our area.

He needs to hang out with a better crowd. We've got quite a few women in our area.

That's what I was thinking. Every year there seems to be more and more women going. I guess he likes looking at the guys more. :rolleyes:

Not showering for a week? Why? There are plenty of free showers. Maybe EdFred got banned from the them for lewd conduct? :dunno: :lol:

Last edited:
I haven't been there. The description of the place was given to me by a 1%'er. I left out the other less than complimentary adjectives she used to describe you guys.

Back