Oshkosh PoA dinner 2014

By the way Grant, since we're at Bacon this year Karen and I will attend! ;) (I never officially posted. Doh!)

And we can bring anything you find helpful or make a last minute store run for whatever with the truck.

Karen's also a nurse so she can assist with laughter when Jay falls down. :) :) :)

Also for your official directions ...

Larry says we're going to be parked on the northeast corner of the site for ease of pulling the beast in, so folks may see the back side of this trailer from kitty-corner instead of the green tent, depending on the angle. We're the "east side wall" of the Bacon compound this year.

So if you see this thing below parked longways to the east-west road... Walk past / around it, and the green tent will be west of it. Heh. :)

Of course plans for the life-sized game of Jenga could change between now and then. ;) But Larry is trying to make sure I can pull in without flattening any tents or small cars. Ha.

my4ebe7e.jpg

Will also have two generators and a big-ass power strip for the techies to plop things on for a charge, if anyone needs juice.

And LED disco lights under the awning after dark. Ha.

Anyone has any special bar/beverage or other requests, let us know. Liquor store run is tomorrow night. :)

Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Wanna get in and head out right now! :) :) :)

By the way Grant, since we're at Bacon this year Karen and I will attend! ;) (I never officially posted. Doh!)

And we can bring anything you find helpful or make a last minute store run for whatever with the truck.

Karen's also a nurse so she can assist with laughter when Jay falls down. :) :) :)

Also for your official directions ...

Larry says we're going to be parked on the northeast corner of the site for ease of pulling the beast in, so folks may see the back side of this trailer from kitty-corner instead of the green tent, depending on the angle. We're the "east side wall" of the Bacon compound this year.

So if you see this thing below parked longways to the east-west road... Walk past / around it, and the green tent will be west of it. Heh. :)

Of course plans for the life-sized game of Jenga could change between now and then. ;) But Larry is trying to make sure I can pull in without flattening any tents or small cars. Ha.

my4ebe7e.jpg

Will also have two generators and a big-ass power strip for the techies to plop things on for a charge, if anyone needs juice.

And LED disco lights under the awning after dark. Ha.

Anyone has any special bar/beverage or other requests, let us know. Liquor store run is tomorrow night. :)

Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Wanna get in and head out right now! :) :) :)
You know, we're thinking of renting something like that for next year. Living in a tent, no matter how large it is, is getting a tad old. And, while I love my family in the area, they aren't on the grounds, and that really makes a difference!
Our question is whether we can get any of the rental outfits to deliver a unit to a specific location in Camp Scholler!

Let me know if you want me to pick up anything at our local Costco, Sam's Club, or Binny's!

If you're on the north-east corner, people walking along Forest Home won't see you first, since they'll be looking at the north-west corner. We were at the south-west corner of Camp Bacon last year, but I don't know where Larry has us this year!

Last edited:
You know, we're thinking of renting something like that for next year. Living in a tent, no matter how large it is, is getting a tad old. And, while I love my family in the area, they aren't on the grounds, and that really makes a difference!
Our question is whether we can get any of the rental outfits to deliver a unit to a specific location in Camp Scholler!

The local camper rental places set them up and plug them in. They are ready to rock! I rented one last year. Kinda pricey, for what you get, but everything st OSH is.

The local camper rental places set them up and plug them in. They are ready to rock! I rented one last year. Kinda pricey, for what you get, but everything st OSH is.

Sorry to be the nay-sayer, but I went through more cash in two days on South Bass Island than I will for a week at Osh (provided a new airplane doesn't follow me home). It is the most inexpensive holiday I've ever had while still being in the middle of a populated area (yeah, it is far less expensive to go hiking in the woods for a week). And that includes the farkles.

Sorry to be the nay-sayer, but I went through more cash in two days on South Bass Island than I will for a week at Osh (provided a new airplane doesn't follow me home). It is the most inexpensive holiday I've ever had while still being in the middle of a populated area (yeah, it is far less expensive to go hiking in the woods for a week). And that includes the farkles.

You can't compare Oshkosh to Put-in-Bay!

You can't compare Oshkosh to Put-in-Bay!

Why not? I camp and get drunk both places. Admittedly I spend less time at Oshkosh ogling the local wild life, but spend more ogling the aircraft, so it evens out.

Why not? I camp and get drunk both places. Admittedly I spend less time at Oshkosh ogling the local wild life, but spend more ogling the aircraft, so it evens out.

You make a valid point, about the wildlife. My last trip to Put-in-Bay led to my wife being really mad at me. Who am I to deny the recently turned 21 year old women the opportunity to show me what God gifted her with?

You make a valid point, about the wildlife. My last trip to Put-in-Bay led to my wife being really mad at me. Who am I to deny the recently turned 21 year old women the opportunity to show me what God gifted her with?

When I take Mrs. Steingar I try to be a bit more circumspect. I'll probably drive it next time, more to do.

I agree, it is a cheap holiday, but compared to the prices of everything at Oshkosh before and after the show it is "expensive".

I'll be there! With Dave from LiveATC

We have lots of room.

And if people are wondering what to bring, chili accoutrements work (shredded cheese, sour cream, crackers, corn bread), French bread, salad, fruit, soda, beer, or anything (or nothing!)

Um, we were just given warning by the N40 chairman himself that we are 30 minutes away from Armageddon -- and the radar shows a red blob of doom approaching.

Since I don't want to be three miles from my plane when it hits, we are battening down the hatches and waiting to see what happens!

I'm with Jay on this right now. I won't want to be too far from my plane and camp when this hits. Could be nasty.

IaBPTIR.jpg

Grant, I'm sitting in the Warbirds lot listening to stupid pilot tricks happening on 126.6. This doesn't look like it's going to clear up soon. I'm going to bug out for home. Hope to see you tomorrow.

Jay - pecan Kringle. And it's getting sunny.

Mmmm...kringle. We seem to have survived, although it took five of us to hold the awning down.

And now... to assess the tents.

We are driving through the refugee camp looking for the party. Ain't at Forest Home and Lindbergh

Mmmm...kringle. We seem to have survived, although it took five of us to hold the awning down.

And now... to assess the tents.

Kent has beer here waiting for you...

What a delightful evening! Grant & company put on a very nice dinner / mixer under less than ideal weather conditions. The food was great! The company exceptional and the beverages strong.

Thank you!!!

Only wossies worry about a little rain!

Well done!

Sorry Dave and I missed it - yep, rain scared us off. Hope to see some of you at HOPS or Camp Bacon!

Well, after a less than auspicious start, the evening definitely qualifies as a success! We had about 35-40 attendees, not all of whom were able to stay long enough after the storm for dinner to be completed. For the first time,there was no leftover jambalaya or chili, but I'm pretty sure no one went hungry.

Kudos to Leslie for pulling this together, especially in the face of the storm! And I want to thank everyone who came and shared their wonderful company, as well as those who made contributions;either culinary or monetary!

Sorry my son and I missed it due to the weather. Would look forward to meeting everyone next year. We had an offer for someone to drive us to our car on the howling rain.

If anyone can make it to Chicsgo for Beyond the a Weather Brief seminar in Seotember that would be great.

What a fabulous, post-storm party! Many thanks to Grant and Leslie for pulling it all together.

I've got a great picture of Steingar and Geico together, if they will consent to me posting it here?

Sorry we couldn't make it y'all. Maybe next year.

I can't even remember what we were doing Tuesday night.

Between OSH and Kelly's bar, it's all a blur. :rockon:

I've got a great picture of Steingar and Geico together, if they will consent to me posting it here?

I for one would happily consent, since I am not certain I've even seen it. Of course, any photo of me is likely to cause mortal hemorrhaging to the internet, so beware.

Meeting Geico was easily the highlight of the trip.

I for one would happily consent, since I am not certain I've even seen it. Of course, any photo of me is likely to cause mortal hemorrhaging to the internet, so beware.

Meeting Geico was easily the highlight of the trip.
Our friend GEICO, apparently being in the witness protection program, has not consented to releasing his image in the wild.

For this internet faux pas, some suitable punishment (to be meted out at OSH '15) must be devised.

We have a whole year to think about it! :)

Back