Oshkosh picture thread

And I have no idea where that came from. But here goes with one that has been valid for fifteen years or so:

jim@rstengineering.com

Thanks,

Jim

I just checked. You were listed FOUR separate times in my gmail account, with three different email addresses. lol

I've merged them into one, and made the correction. All is right with the Google Collective again. Watch for the pic shortly.

(Funny that it never bounced back!)

Now that it is updated, you may want to edit your comment (and the quoted comment respectively) to remove the email address. I am sure the spam bots crawl this site looking for emails to harvest.

I just checked. You were listed FOUR separate times in my gmail account, with three different email addresses. lol

I've merged them into one, and made the correction. All is right with the Google Collective again. Watch for the pic shortly.

(Funny that it never bounced back!)

Got the pic. Thanx. Now you gotta 'splain. That front kneeling row, I think I know who I'm seeing, but just for giggles, tell me who is who.

Jim

Got the pic. Thanx. Now you gotta 'splain. That front kneeling row, I think I know who I'm seeing, but just for giggles, tell me who is who.

Jim

You think I remember everyone's name, when 3/4 of them are people who post under a pseudonym? :D

No, but you might remember at least one name or two, especially those you have your arms around?

Jim

From right to left in the front row it goes Nick Burns, me, Nick's buddy, Megan, Tami Burns, Mary, and someone I don't know.

As for the rest, well, I know a fair number of their names, but you'll just have to show up next year to meet 'em in-person. Only 350 days to go! :D

I use my 18-55mm to shoot static airplanes, my 75-300mm telephoto to shoot moving airplanes, and my 30mm to shoot portraits of people I like. I use the 75-300mm to shoot portraits of people I don't like.

What are some camera lens recommendations for Oshkosh??

There is a famous quote in photography circles "The best camera is the one you have with you".

So the answer to your question is: Whichever one you're willing to carry around all day.

More seriously, think about *when* you're going to shoot. The rules of using the magic hours still apply at Oshkosh. So many people bring $10,000 worth of photography gear and shoot the air shows. That's just hard work and, frankly, you can google and find a million of those shots anyway from people with $10K worth of gear and the knowledge to exploit it. What muggles can do is bone up on basic photographic principles and take some great shots that don't require special gear or lenses.

There is a famous quote in photography circles "The best camera is the one you have with you".

So the answer to your question is: Whichever one you're willing to carry around all day.

More seriously, think about *when* you're going to shoot. The rules of using the magic hours still apply at Oshkosh. So many people bring $10,000 worth of photography gear and shoot the air shows. That's just hard work and, frankly, you can google and find a million of those shots anyway from people with $10K worth of gear and the knowledge to exploit it. What muggles can do is bone up on basic photographic principles and take some great shots that don't require special gear or lenses.

Ya know? The opportunity to share knowledge only comes along every once in a while and jumping on the opportunity is a blessing. Why not share your expertise with us while the time is ripe to do so?

Explain "magic hours". Why not give a thumbnail of basic photographic principles? Lenses, their cause and prevention.

Do it HERE before the show this year and next year offer a forum at The Show for best practices in show photography. email me (jim@rstengineering.com) if you need info on how to volunteer for a forum. I'll bet you could partner with Canon or one of the other exhibitors to do the job right.

Jim

Ya know? The opportunity to share knowledge only comes along every once in a while and jumping on the opportunity is a blessing. Why not share your expertise with us while the time is ripe to do so?

Explain "magic hours". Why not give a thumbnail of basic photographic principles? Lenses, their cause and prevention.

Do it HERE before the show this year and next year offer a forum at The Show for best practices in show photography. email me (jim@rstengineering.com) if you need info on how to volunteer for a forum. I'll bet you could partner with Canon or one of the other exhibitors to do the job right.

Sure, here's some of that kind of info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(photography)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/natural-light-photography.htm

Photographers at Oshkosh understandably focus on airplanes. But viewers like photos of people also. We're drawn to one another. Here are some tips on how to do good photography of people:

http://digital-photography-school.com/11-tips-for-better-candid-photography/

If you have telephoto lenses, then this is a good primer on how to use them:

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...ips-for-taking-amazing-pictures-of-airplanes/

If you can shoot raw. Shoot raw.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...os-8-questions-every-beginner-wants-answered/

Finally, it's August 1st you went back to work for a week and now have time to look through your library. Explore. Figure out what look you want (oversaturated, accurate, gritty, etc) for a given collection and process the photos to those profiles.

I would actually love to do a forum, my first business was a photolab and I still love photography. But, alas, now I'm a soap peddler and have to work all week.

Last edited:
I would actually love to do a forum, my first business was a photolab and I still love photography. But, alas, now I'm a soap peddler and have to work all week.

Thanks, good info.

I said forum NEXT year. Even soap peddlers get a vacation.:yes:

Jim

1024ca55f9d446f32b4cc38dbf6e7031.jpg

Steingar and I have started early!

Row 508. Come join us.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Kent is obviously flying the arrival inverted so he can spot the landmarks better. Nice job!

You can be insufferable any time you want.

I have never seen so many plans camping NORTH of 9-27. GA is alive and well.

Rumor has it Jay & John got a room. :rofl:

Website says 65% full and they are already parking near the Hilton. We're hoping for a nice spot to open up tomorrow around 7pm!

In my AM shift we were rolling traffic off 27 to the South. By the time I took the last shift at 1600, we were rolling traffic North off 27, meaning the North 40 (south of 9/27) was full. And the show starts tomorrow. Very cool!

In my AM shift we were rolling traffic off 27 to the South. By the time I took the last shift at 1600, we were rolling traffic North off 27, meaning the North 40 (south of 9/27) was full. And the show starts tomorrow. Very cool!
Yup, I have never seen the North 40 so full this early. I think the PERFECT weather may have something to do with it.

Storms are a-coming, however... We will be testing the GOA ("God's Own Awning") right away.

It's held down with 48 stakes and over 200' of rope!

Day 3 pix. We did the buildings and attended Grant & Leslie's party in Camp Scholler, so not so many airplane pix today.
5b924a3bfbd27d13623acd8ef4c5e5fc.jpg

dca710303b8dfd5bf67b5b82ac15912d.jpg

897d5ef7d227487f642c5e65a56c9c77.jpg

7c2638378b9124b05b6f7e98b9f266c0.jpg

d4e9e985c3f27430f05666d7a319576a.jpg

2530eb0fcbf174ef9d0cb131bfce04be.jpg

7e9fd433c3cb8eddee985f2fc5a9b633.jpg

550050b8985d1e55a0720dc3cac9d14d.jpg

:(

This is the view from our campsite. The Airport is closed. Latest word is that a twin caught a wing tip, cartwheeled and burned on Rwy 27.

Don't know about injuries.

Will upload some photos in a bit.

Last edited:
Missed a few days, but here is our departure this morning.

We are stopped in Ft. Dodge, IA for fuel, and discovered free food and snacks for OSH travellers! Cool beans!

f678d8cdcd54ae099786c3f383d4544d.jpg

55dc75d6f6bdf87c5fbcf05f60a719ac.jpg

7720d9dd4c45a444ed0c7d85eba76c58.jpg

0169791dc8f9830f3f3116d6b6782b3d.jpg

f6b06efc7b87a7f2119384c9780fee32.jpg

4508b1e537f9c9d0a40118015c17c66c.jpg

eb595a9021632a4d8c964488a5a26f8d.jpg

c357195fd5e91a8e4b5b7a2eb6f56b29.jpg

a30b0984a145e07c1a5776406ab57144.jpg

That's why I hate working the Flightline on Sundays. It's damned depressing.
Everyone in our group agrees: The last day of Oshkosh is the worst day of the year.

Everyone in our group agrees: The last day of Oshkosh is the worst day of the year.

I was stunned by your pictures of the empty North 40. It wasn't like that at 1700 on Saturday when I left. People must have really bugged out after the Saturday show.

At home on Sunday I was expecting to see the typical southbound conga line of planes departing OSH. It never really appeared. I wonder where everyone transitioned southbound.

BTW: We should probably start an "Awesome Stops On the Way To/From OSH" page.

We stopped in Ft. Dodge, IA (KFOD) yesterday, pretty much at random, and were welcomed like family, with free food and drink!

6e921cab18a676687c14d8250eba1dfc.jpg

cc89842716f0647f3f426e9e2881e7d9.jpg

I like their snow plow, too... :)
bb12a0a1dc7429dcb7d5353b9fdbf574.jpg

The final trip (edited).

2457 nautical miles (2825 statute miles) in 7 legs. Total flight time, 15.5 hours. Average speed 182.3 mph (158 knots).

We had to divert west around weather to Omaha (KOMA) (without landing) on the flight up, and to Ft. Dodge (KFOD) (where we landed) on the flight home.

Otherwise, it was a perfect, completely uneventful flight. Only squawk on the plane: The throttle is getting sticky. Gonna have to look into that.

c7af8017a3878e022212677f9405c8a5.jpg

I took few pictures this year for some reason. Here they are:
Linda & I
yKzapGc.jpg

Sunrise on flight to Airventure
w6PzqGr.jpg

Picked up ice pretty quickly in a layer at FL190
mAYuNpN.jpg

Camp setup:
BqmKB7H.jpg

Always a good idea:
CTpndjS.jpg

Geico collecting peanuts the SoS Tent guy spilt on the ground for dinner. We saved probably about $5 by eating the peanuts off the ground which buys another beer:
TqiSYNG.jpg

Last edited:
Back