Oshkosh Parties -- You're Invited!

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Just six weeks until OSH, ladies and gents! We're already gearing up for two events this year designed by and for pilots:

1. 6th Annual Iowa City Fly-In Pool Party
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/iowa_city_pool_party.htm

Hard to believe it's been six years since you guys and gals helped us decide to build the only aviation themed hotel in the Midwest -- and it's "pay-back time"! For the sixth year in a row we'll be throwing the only fly-in pool party in the world, in thanks to all pilots who have helped us make our aviation dream a success.

Always held on the Saturday before OSH, we'll have food, refreshments, music, swimming, and hangar flying -- all FREE. We'll have the Penguin flight simulator set up so that you can practice the FISK approach into OSH (it's especially challenging after a few beers), and a good time is guaranteed for all.

We're close enough to walk from the airport -- but why bother? We'll come fetch you in our courtesy van, and zip you right to the front door of the inn. Spend a few hours, or spend the night. If we run out of room (which we do most years), you're welcome to pitch your tent on the property – free!

Then, on Sunday morning (not TOO early) we'll load up and fly into OSH together. Last year we had eight aircraft fly up (in loose, in-trail formation -- no Blue Angels stuff here!) together, which resulted in everyone being parked close together -- so the party could continue all week long!

Here are some pix from last year's party:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2007_fly-in_pool_party.htm

2. North 40 Party
Also for the sixth year, our campsite in the North 40 a OSH will serve as the base for the annual North 40 party. Put together with the invaluable assistance of this group's Jim & Tami Burns, Montblack, and Jack Allison, this annual shin-dig is a great chance to put a face with the names you see in these groups every day.

Admission is, as always, a 6-pack (or more) of GOOD beer, preferably from your home-base. Regional micro-brews are almost always met with enthusiastic approval. Extra points are awarded if you can't see through it! (Left coast exception: If you're from Kalifornia, regional wines are a suitable substitute. Just be prepared to take some serious razzing...)

This party is held on Wednesday during Airventure, right after the airshow. Because aircraft parking is "first-come, first-served" the location varies each year, but finding us is simple. Just go to the EAA North 40 check-in station (at the entrance to the North 40) and give them our "N" number or last name. They will give you our precise campsite number, and vector you in. (Note: Do this early in the day, or you may be surprised to find them closed. Randomly finding someone -- even a big party -- in the North 40 is "needle-in-a-haystack" stuff...)

Here are some pix from last year's party: http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2007_hops_party.htm

And from 2006:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/wed_-_north_40_party.htm

And from 2005:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/wednesday1.htm

And, the most famous picture of all, from the very first HOPS Party: http://tinyurl.com/6599f4

Well, you get the idea. Hope to see you at one or both!

:)

Jay,

I doubt I'll be making it for Oshkosh--but I would like to fly out there and stay in your hotel sometime this summer. Sounds like fun.

Jay,
I'll already be at OSH by then, but might try to come find you guys on Wednesday. Sounds like a hospitable group! :)

Jay,
I'll already be at OSH by then, but might try to come find you guys on Wednesday. Sounds like a hospitable group! :)

I'll be over in Michigan flying seaplanes, but I'll come find y'all Wednesday night too. :yes:

No, no rating yet - so all dual. Northwoods Aviation in Cadillac, in Super Cub N172T.

I did my multi and my CFII work further north, up at Traverse City, www.traversair.com. He also has a PA12 on straight floats. One of my partners did his SES after he added his multi to his comercial ticket.

Have fun with the SC... I keep telling my wife that there will be one tied down in front of the house some day when she comes home from work. I got my tailwheel endorsement in a SC... what a blast!

I did my multi and my CFII work further north, up at Traverse City, www.traversair.com. He also has a PA12 on straight floats. One of my partners did his SES after he added his multi to his comercial ticket.

Steve Tupper just did his multi up there too, and told the world about it:

http://www.airspeedonline.com/

The price is right for sure!!!

Have fun with the SC... I keep telling my wife that there will be one tied down in front of the house some day when she comes home from work. I got my tailwheel endorsement in a SC... what a blast!

Oh yeah. Flying off water with the door and windows open... It doesn't get much better than that. :no:

As someone who has attended all OSH parties at Jay and Mary's campsite, I can attest that it's a fun time to meet folks face to face. Heck, that's how I met Jay back in 2003...and he'll still let me attend without flying my airplane to OSH this year! :)

Admission is, as always, a 6-pack (or more) of GOOD beer, preferably from your home-base. Regional micro-brews are almost always met with enthusiastic approval. Extra points are awarded if you can't see through it! (Left coast exception: If you're from Kalifornia, regional wines are a suitable substitute. Just be prepared to take some serious razzing...)
I'm assuming, then, that this is not actually a Family-Friendly outing.

Jay, that sounds like a blast! I'll be camping in the North 40 with my Citabria and I hope to join you on Wednesday. I can't carry much stuff in my Citabria, but I'll try to bring some Moosehead (my most favorite beer). If I run into weather problems again trying to get up there I may stop in and stay with you guys again. :) I just love your place! :yes:

On the contrary, my kids (and the kids of many others) are always at the parties, and are always more than welcome.

Yep, there are always plenty of kids running around, meeting each other, and having fun. It's really a good "break" for the kids. For some reason after a few days of OSH, many of the kids seem to act like we're subjecting them to airplane overload! (although I can't imagine such a thing!)

What time does the party go to / anyone know when Jeff Dunham performs? I'll stop by if I can before / after his gig.

What time does the party go to / anyone know when Jeff Dunham performs? I'll stop by if I can before / after his gig.

It usually breaks up shortly after dark. After 12 hours on the flight line, and a few beers, most people aren't up for much more than that!

It's hell to get old...

:goofy:
On the contrary, my kids (and the kids of many others) are always at the parties, and are always more than welcome.
From all the emphasis on beer, it sounded like a beer party. There are several wonderful soft drink specialties from this region that I'd like to be encouraged to contribute:cheerswine:, but now feel that we'd be ridiculed. One of the things I enjoy most about fly-ins is that everyone has a great time without booze and that seems healthy for the children. My kids don't drink alcohol. Neither do I.:hairraise: We'd like to party and swim and meet and greet. Would we be welcomed or outsiders?:confused:

Absolutely welcomed. Remember, we're all pilots and that's what's bringing us together. There is always plenty of soda, water, and juices and we frequently make several trips to the local Pic-n-save to requisition what ever is requested. After a long day on the flight line, water is often the initial request of many! Feel free to bring some of your local sodas, it has become common here in WI for the small breweries to also hand craft their versions of root beers, oranges, and other traditional flavors. Some of these are my kids favorites.

Peggy - Nope, you're definitely welcome, doesn't matter what you bring or not. A chance to meet/greet is really the primary agenda. I'm sure Jay's kids would love to sample any/all soft drink specialties. Bring whatever you're comfortable with.

From all the emphasis on beer, it sounded like a beer party. There are several wonderful soft drink specialties from this region that I'd like to be encouraged to contribute:cheerswine:, but now feel that we'd be ridiculed. One of the things I enjoy most about fly-ins is that everyone has a great time without booze and that seems healthy for the children. My kids don't drink alcohol. Neither do I.:hairraise: We'd like to party and swim and meet and greet. Would we be welcomed or outsiders?:confused:

No pilot is an "outsider". If you are there, you are family!

The whole beer thing is just a great excuse to get people to bring something from their home regions, to share with others. Regional soft drinks works just as well!

(And remember -- that whole bring-a-6-pack thing is for the North 40 party. Our Pre-OSH pool party is completely free -- just show up and enjoy...)

(And remember -- that whole bring-a-6-pack thing is for the North 40 party. Our Pre-OSH pool party is completely free -- just show up and enjoy...)
Jay, do you guys have a certain spot where you usually park in the North 40? Or is it mostly luck of the draw? Sometimes I post here after I get settled in and have the tent up and let people know what row I'm in. It will be easier with the iPhone this year.

And I try to get people to bring wine to my campsite. ;) If I'm lucky, they will bring stemware too. :D

Jay, do you guys have a certain spot where you usually park in the North 40? Or is it mostly luck of the draw? Sometimes I post here after I get settled in and have the tent up and let people know what row I'm in. It will be easier with the iPhone this year.

And I try to get people to bring wine to my campsite. ;) If I'm lucky, they will bring stemware too. :D

We've never found a way to park in any specific location, as it's "first come, first served". Luckily, EAA makes it easy to find a camper.

Simply give our "N" number "N56993" to the friendly EAA volunteers at the entrance to the North 40, and they will kindly give you vectors directly to us. Be sure not to wait until the night of the party, though (Wednesday), as the EAA folks usually boogie on out before the airshow is finished.

You do NOT want to randomly walk up and down rows, looking for our "Alexis Park Inn & Suites" banner! It's a big banner, but finding us in the midst of 10,000 aircraft is problematic at best...

As for wine, we do allow that sissy beverage at our party, although it's usually reserved for folks from the Left Coast. I promise to do my best to keep people from sprinkling it on their salads...

As for wine, we do allow that sissy beverage at our party, although it's usually reserved for folks from the Left Coast. I promise to do my best to keep people from sprinkling it on their salads...

That's funny. :D :D :D

But, hey, when you drink wine you don't have to walk to the port-a-potties as often. ;)

That's funny. :D :D :D

But, hey, when you drink wine you don't have to walk to the port-a-potties as often. ;)

Hmmm... I find that when I drink wine, three things happen:

- I get instantly drunk, because it tastes like soda pop and goes down waaaaaay too easy. Especially when it's hot.

- I have to go even MORE often than when I drink beer. (See reason, above.)

- I get a huge migraine-like headache the next day, thanks to the sulfates/nitrates/whatever in wine

Therefore, I love wine -- but it don't love me -- so I steer clear of it, except occasionally with meals.

But, all kidding aside, anyone is welcome to bring anything from their home turf, be it beer, wine, soda, or even snacks. Anything that says "home" to you will be fun to share with all, and it'll be fun to see the North 40 truly become a "melting pot" of pilots from all over America, sharing and showing off their regional beverages...

Um...I took a modified "walk up/down each row" approach in 2004. Registration was closed so I walked along the outside of each row looking for Atlas's paint scheme. Had to walk down a couple of rows but in essence, walked right up to your site. Never mind that it was right on the road in the corner of the runway extension exclusion zone. Had you guys been on the North side of runway 9/27, it could have been a *much* longer walk. Definitely not recommended. I got lucky.

The last 2 years in a row, I've simply drove into the north entrance and around the curve towards the Red Lot... and I've found 56993 sitting near the fence line... luck I guess.

Um...Jim, IIRC, you called either Jay or me before walking into the N-40. If that's luck, ok, whatever works for you :rofl:

Back