Oshkosh is full!

bcool

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bud
I just listened to the LiveATC broadcast of the Oshkosh VFR arrival frequency, and it said the field is closed to regular GA (non-camping) aircraft due to saturation :yikes: They're telling people to go to Fond Du Lac or Appleton, where you can pay $25/day for a round trip, 1 hr shuttle.

If you're planning on going you might want to listen here: Oshkosh arrival audio

I hope things clear out a bit by Saturday, when I'm planning on going :)

That is good news. I did hear some vendors say spots went empty. The consumers that are left can only buy so much. I'd think you could 'tactically' plan your arrival to fit in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.9 KB · Views: 43
Several years ago, it was a common occurrence for the field to get full. I can remember sitting with the "North 40 Status" page open at work the day before the trip refreshing it a zillion times to see if the field was getting 'fuller' or 'emptier'.

You notice camping is not full. Also a lot of open exhibitor space in the hangars. Monday was not a banner day. Although I enjoyed the show. Got to speak one on one with most exhibitors.

I plan on going Saturday morning. If it fills up like it did tonight, I am guessing the airspace won't be open right at 8:00 a.m. for arrivals... as it says it will only re-open after a sufficient number of aircraft have departed. So... when should we arrive? Or is it pure luck?

I'm working Flightline Ops on Wednesday 9:30 - 12:35. I can post the general trend after my shift.

Oh, and Kent, I marshaled you on Monday at the intersection of Bravo 2 and Bravo. Nice green dot landing. Thanks for not waiving. ;):D

Quite a few aircraft departed this evening after the airshow. There ought to be a bunch departing tomorrow morning as well. There will probable be spots open tomorrow for new arrivals. I've got some friends coming in tomorrow too and hope they can get in. It was pretty full this afternoon when I hiked all the way down to the S40 near the seaplane base bus stop but there were still some spots open down that way.

Last edited:
Last year I flew in on a Thursday, the airport seemed empty. No one on the FISK arrival, and lots of open spaces in the N40 and Vintage. Glad to see the airport at capacity!

I'm working Flightline Ops on Wednesday 9:30 - 12:35. I can post the general trend after my shift.

Oh, and Kent, I marshaled you on Monday at the intersection of Bravo 2 and Bravo. Nice green dot landing. Thanks for not waiving. ;):D

I plan on getting there around 10ish if the field is open. Right now the ATIS says they are accepting aircraft, except for twins and those for GAP. Look for the beige 150 with the little tail numbers.

Last edited:
Will do. Sitting at the hangar now waiting for the ceiling to raise just a little bit more.

A good friend who flew in a couple days ago from WA also reports attendance is strong and the mood is very upbeat. He even stoppped by the Sport Performance Aircraft booth for me and checked out the Panther.

Wish I was there, haven't been in 10 years.

'Gimp

The parking hotline says that camping is closed. Just had a couple planes land at my airport to see what happens. Time to go get some food.

Its only open to singles for parking. Camping is closed to arrivals.

I left on Wednesday morning. I was in N40 camping. After I left at 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM and was monitoring Madison approach I heard them saying a lot of people were being turned back from Oshkosh because the field was going IFR/VFR back and forth and they kept closing it.

Camping in the north N40 sucks!!!! I was way out on the north side of the runway 27. The buses take forever, no decent showers and stinky full Port-A-Potties.

Well been there done that now. Even got the T-Shirt. But the best part was LEAVING and getting to fly a few hundred feet over the Wisconsin countryside. That was a rush.

I arrived this morning. No problems. Plenty of spaces right now.

I left on Wednesday morning. I was in N40 camping. After I left at 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM and was monitoring Madison approach I heard them saying a lot of people were being turned back from Oshkosh because the field was going IFR/VFR back and forth and they kept closing it.

Camping in the north N40 sucks!!!! I was way out on the north side of the runway 27. The buses take forever, no decent showers and stinky full Port-A-Potties.

Well been there done that now. Even got the T-Shirt. But the best part was LEAVING and getting to fly a few hundred feet over the Wisconsin countryside. That was a rush.
??

Camping in the N40 rocks! Our compound, complete with generator, blender, coffee maker, microwave, etc, has been home to as many as 9 people so far, and conditions could not be better. 75 degree days, 55 degree nights, perfect sleeping weatger, and a flight of Mustangs at 0700 to serve as our alarm clock.

Great food in the N40 this year, too. If you show up for the event on time, you get parked a lot closer.

This may be the best year, ever!

??

Camping in the N40 rocks! Our compound, complete with generator, blender, coffee maker, microwave, etc, has been home to as many as 9 people so far, and conditions could not be better. 75 degree days, 55 degree nights, perfect sleeping weatger, and a flight of Mustangs at 0700 to serve as our alarm clock.

Great food in the N40 this year, too. If you show up for the event on time, you get parked a lot closer.

This may be the best year, ever!

I would agree with Vince. Life on the north side of 9/27 seem pretty spartan.

I would agree with Vince. Life on the north side of 9/27 seem pretty spartan.
What's funny is that there are groups here who choose specifically to camp on the North side of Rwy 27. I would not -- we always get here a day or two early, specifically to avoid that -- but some guys like it over there.

What's funny is that there are groups here who choose specifically to camp on the North side of Rwy 27. I would not -- we always get here a day or two early, specifically to avoid that -- but some guys like it over there.

Cyndi and I really liked it down at the departure end of 27, on the west side of the perimeter road. Wonder how you arrange to get those spots.

Jim

You really can't. Timing is everything.

We do get a number of pilots who put "HILTON" on their signs. I marshall them west on Bravo, only to see them coming back East on Bravo because they don't have Hilton credentials.

We got put near the Hilton one year. It was all-night partying - not very conducive for recovering from a full day of hoofing through the event.

We would usually shoot for getting there Wed/Thurs. By then, a lot of the Mooney and Bonanza mass-arrival guys started leaving which opened up some primo spots within walking distance of the entry gate.

We got put near the Hilton one year. It was all-night partying - not very conducive for recovering from a full day of hoofing through the event.

We would usually shoot for getting there Wed/Thurs. By then, a lot of the Mooney and Bonanza mass-arrival guys started leaving which opened up some primo spots within walking distance of the entry gate.

Yup. This was our plan last year also. Ended up near Jay's camp and met a bunch of PoA folks. Had to do the first half of the week this year, but was in vintage anyway.

Those spots are gone, Jim. They moved the perimeter road, and no long allow (or have spots for) camping out there.

I'm going to arrive by sat night/sunday am next year. Parked in the North- north 40 and it wasn't as bad as I expected but involved a little extra biking. Having the marriot next door for breakfast or drinks was convenient. That laundromat was helpful too when my friend left his tent unzipped during that storm Tuesday!!

It opened up for GAP parking Wednesday mid morning as soon as the ground dried a bit. I, and about 1000 other airplanes ended up in the pattern simultaneously. It worked out ok after one go-around and a runway change.

Came back on Thursday as soon as the field opened following the Breezy crash. Other than flying through a fairly heavy rain shower between Fisk and OSH (my passenger said, "Turn on the wipers. I can't see anything." Lol!) it went like clockwork, although I still ended up parked north of 27.

All in all, a great couple of days and seemed like a good crowd, although it was only my second AirVenture.

Loved our first trip, but they put us so far down in the South Forty VAC, it was like you were not even at the show.

The buses and trams to get up to the middle was daunting. Facilities were sparse. I could tell the North Forty South side was set up much better for camping.

We gave up and got some rooms at the college.

Back