Oshkosh Forum On Hangar Solar Power

Now that’s an interesting idea. For some places, the amount of square footage of open sky roof is huge. Cover those with panels, install the devices that sell back to the grid, and the ROI might be respectively short.

I have wondered if there's an opportunity here. Solar contractor does the construction and gets the tax credit, sells the juice to the utility, airport gets shade hangars...

Will this be off-grid or on-grid? Power consumption estimates?
Both. The system is attached to the grid, and when the batteries are topped off, the excess is sold to the grid.

Now that’s an interesting idea. For some places, the amount of square footage of open sky roof is huge. Cover those with panels, install the devices that sell back to the grid, and the ROI might be respectively short.
Unless you are on your own private airport, let the local airport manager/authority/owner get wind of such a scheme and everything I told you in the forum goes away. It was hard enough convincing them that a simple 100 watt 12 volt solar panel wasn't going to burn the airport down. Put a kilowatt or so up there, bring in commercial power, and see how may hoops you jump through before falling flat on your nose.

Jim

If the solar panel will be attached to the GRID, it will have to be installed with a contractor with a Master Electrician. You will also need permits from your local authorities and approval of your hangar owner. You will need multiple batteries to support an inverter with any kind of amperage. I have built an off-grid solar system with two 12v batteries but it only supports 300 watts of AC power.

Jim, I enjoyed your webinar. What additions would need to be added to the equipment list to include a moderate size LED television?

Back