Oshkosh for Beginners

EHITCH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Elizabeth
Does anyone have suggestions for a first-time visit to Oshkosh? Looks like I might get there this year after all -- but with only one day on site I'm looking for any suggestions of what to see and what to skip. Warbirds are on the top of my list, otherwise I welcome your ideas.
Thanks,
Elizabeth

There is way to much to see in one day. The museum the planes in the main part of the complex ( they usually have something special, like a airbus 380 ) The wr birds. I liked to just walk around and look at the airplanes ( 10,000 of them) Make sure you have the notams for flying into Oshkosh and have your parking sign made. They have some great forums, too.

If I had but one day:

1. Check the forum schedule to see if Burt Rutan or John Ronz (sp?) will be speaking that day; if so, go to that seminar.
2. Antiques area (south of "theater in the woods").
3. Warbirds area.
4. The vendor buildings.
5. Beer tent for barbeque ham sandwich (and beer).

As many have already stated one day is not enough. However, using that timeframe I would not try to do everything...pick certain areas. With only one day I would try to park close to the action (north 40 in blue). I would hit the warbirds, homebuilts and the main square (in red). After that I would watch the airshow. I myself will probably spend 2 days in the forums alone. Are you trying to come and go on the same day or leave the next day?

Rick Durden's two part Oshkosh Survival Guide is a classic:
http://avweb.com/news/osh2003/185249-1.html

Bring Comfortable shoes, money, Sunglasses, money, Sunscreen, money, a way to carry water (I LOVE my Camelbak) , money, Bug spray, money, your camera, money...

In my Camelbak I have small bottles of all of those along a small bottle of Purel (which you can refill there), the forum schedule/exhibit hall map and the ramp map. You DO NOT need to buy the program - it's only a bunch of ads. The paper forum schedule is free at the forum shack in the middle of the forum plaza and at the FAA pavillion, and on the web site.

EHITCH said:
Does anyone have suggestions for a first-time visit to Oshkosh? Looks like I might get there this year after all -- but with only one day on site I'm looking for any suggestions of what to see and what to skip. Warbirds are on the top of my list, otherwise I welcome your ideas.
Thanks,
Elizabeth
Step 1, make friends with an EAA staffer (or contractor) who has a Gator and avoid all that pesky walking ...

Ken Ibold said:
Step 1, make friends with an EAA staffer (or contractor) who has a Gator and avoid all that pesky walking ...
Hey Ken, how long will it take to get to Manitowoc in one of those? ;)

Steve said:
Then ride the bus back to the main field and run up to the north end in the middle of the warbird area and listen in on real WWII ace describe flying the plane in front of the speakers stand.

Really, Steve?

Do they have an alternate announcer during the Warbirds air show day so you don't have to listen to Mr. "Interestly Enough" give the history of WW II?

I can't stand that guy.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions and maps and everything. We plan to drive up from the Chicago area for just one day -- I have conflicts with work or volunteer activities for every day OSH is scheduled except the last one.

EH

EHITCH said:
Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions and maps and everything. We plan to drive up from the Chicago area for just one day -- I have conflicts with work or volunteer activities for every day OSH is scheduled except the last one.
Well, only showing up for the last day will ease the pressure a little. Much of it will be gone.

Back