Oshkosh Discounts

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
I'm planning on going to Oshkosh this year, and I heard there are sometimes big discounts to be had for avionics. Right now Garmin is offering $5000 for trade in on a Garmin 530 if you buy a GTN/GMA/GTX combo. That offer ends at the end of June. That is a pretty nice discount, but are there better discounts to be had at OSH? My gut feeling is that there won't be, but I figured I would ask the experts on POA.

What about other big name companies like Whelen, etc?

Eh sometimes Garmin will give you a few hundred for stopping by their booth and getting a piece of paper, but the big deals are usually available to everyone whether at Oshkosh or not. The other smaller vendors have show specials, and sometimes they’re great. Other times not as good.

Interested to see if Whelen/Lo Presti deal produces better prices or worse.

I'm planning on going to Oshkosh this year, and I heard there are sometimes big discounts to be had for avionics. Right now Garmin is offering $5000 for trade in on a Garmin 530 if you buy a GTN/GMA/GTX combo. That offer ends at the end of June. That is a pretty nice discount, but are there better discounts to be had at OSH? My gut feeling is that there won't be, but I figured I would ask the experts on POA.

In the general case, pretty much everyone has some sort of show deal. Some of them will actually require you to talk to a person at their booth and give them your info (example: Insight), while others will give the discount to anyone who asks within a month of either side of the show, and sometimes they'll even advertise the "show" special on Facebook or other social media.

For Garmin specifically, usually what they have around this time of year (SnF, OSH) is deals on purchasing combinations of equipment, specific discounts on individual units etc. that apply to everyone, and then there will be additional amounts you can get for attending a seminar either at one of the shows, or at your local Garmin dealer when their sales guy comes to town. Most of their promotions require your Garmin dealer to have actually ordered the equipment by the date in question.

I noticed that all of their current promotions end on June 28th, and I would imagine that's when they'll announce the next series of promotions (the "Oshkosh" ones). Generally, they're pretty similar between SnF and OSH so I wouldn't be surprised if you can get the same deal later in the summer, but it's obviously not guaranteed.

What IS likely is that they'll announce more new gear just prior to Oshkosh. What that gear is may have an effect on the trade-in. For example, if they were to come out with a "GTN 700" that was a slide-in replacement for your 530W, I would not expect to be able to get the trade-in. (You'll probably save the $5K in install costs instead.)

But, April-August is a good time of year to buy stuff - Just don't overthink it or you'll be disappointed. Everyone wants the deal of the century, very few people get it and those who do are merely lucky. You have just as much chance of being unlucky, such as if you had paid for a G500 TXi to be installed and it just got finished last week...

Were it me, I would talk to my favorite Garmin dealer about my goals, and see whether they suggest you jump now or wait - Sometimes, they know about things a little in advance. Otherwise, wait for Oshkosh, see what comes out, and then decide.

The only big discount I’ve gotten at OSH is oil without shipping fees. Mostly what you get there is the opportunity to see everything, talk to sales people, push the buttons, etc. The savings usually amount to $10 here, $20 there.

In the general case, pretty much everyone has some sort of show deal. Some of them will actually require you to talk to a person at their booth and give them your info (example: Insight), while others will give the discount to anyone who asks within a month of either side of the show, and sometimes they'll even advertise the "show" special on Facebook or other social media.

For Garmin specifically, usually what they have around this time of year (SnF, OSH) is deals on purchasing combinations of equipment, specific discounts on individual units etc. that apply to everyone, and then there will be additional amounts you can get for attending a seminar either at one of the shows, or at your local Garmin dealer when their sales guy comes to town. Most of their promotions require your Garmin dealer to have actually ordered the equipment by the date in question.

I noticed that all of their current promotions end on June 28th, and I would imagine that's when they'll announce the next series of promotions (the "Oshkosh" ones). Generally, they're pretty similar between SnF and OSH so I wouldn't be surprised if you can get the same deal later in the summer, but it's obviously not guaranteed.

What IS likely is that they'll announce more new gear just prior to Oshkosh. What that gear is may have an effect on the trade-in. For example, if they were to come out with a "GTN 700" that was a slide-in replacement for your 530W, I would not expect to be able to get the trade-in. (You'll probably save the $5K in install costs instead.)

But, April-August is a good time of year to buy stuff - Just don't overthink it or you'll be disappointed. Everyone wants the deal of the century, very few people get it and those who do are merely lucky. You have just as much chance of being unlucky, such as if you had paid for a G500 TXi to be installed and it just got finished last week...

Were it me, I would talk to my favorite Garmin dealer about my goals, and see whether they suggest you jump now or wait - Sometimes, they know about things a little in advance. Otherwise, wait for Oshkosh, see what comes out, and then decide.

Got it, that is some great info! We are meeting with a Garmin dealer next week to go over our options. I think we're just going to do an ADS-B upgrade, and clean some old crap out of the panel this year. Next year will probably be the big upgrade, with a new GPS and some sort of glass panel upgrade.

I'll still bring the checkbook to OSH though. I'm sure there will be plenty of little things we'll need.

The only big discount I’ve gotten at OSH is oil without shipping fees. Mostly what you get there is the opportunity to see everything, talk to sales people, push the buttons, etc. The savings usually amount to $10 here, $20 there.

I saved a couple hundred on a set of Orion nav lights from Wilco.

Saved a few hundred more on a full Mtn High o2 system. Chewed him down even on his show special! Flash that cash... trust me, they want it.

You're not buying enough stuff then. :D Or, maybe not inquiring enough about deals to get them. They're often not advertised, but if you ask whether they have a show special on something you want to buy, more often than not they do.

I would guess that I probably average at least a couple hundred bucks worth of total savings each year. And honestly, I don't buy much there either. But if you buy stuff you know you're going to need in the next year, it's usually worth buying at the show.

And that's a good reminder about oil. We always buy a case. Bought a case of Camguard last year too. Saved a bit on both.

Desser has deals on tires and tubes at Oshkosh, and will ship them to you for free after the show. I think they're something like 10% off Desser's normal prices. If you normally buy tires through your FBO/shop, you'll save a lot more buying from Desser. When I started buying tires for the club in advance from Desser rather than waiting until we needed one and buying it locally (or as close to local as we could find with the somewhat-weird size needed for the R182 and DA40), the price was cut nearly in half.

I saved about $300 on a set of rubber biscuits for my landing gear this past year at Oshkosh.

If you have a situation where you need a light but they don't have one certified for your application yet, Whelen is pretty generous in supporting your efforts. They'll usually give you the engineering drawings, specifications, and test results to share with the FAA as "approved data" and will sometimes give you the first light for free, expecting, of course, that you'll share the 337 with them to ease similar future installs and buy the second light.

Got it, that is some great info! We are meeting with a Garmin dealer next week to go over our options. I think we're just going to do an ADS-B upgrade, and clean some old crap out of the panel this year. Next year will probably be the big upgrade, with a new GPS and some sort of glass panel upgrade.

I was going to say that you should share your entire plan with the dealer, and see what they recommend. Maybe pre-wire some things and such.

However, if you are only going to do ADS-B now, and do a major upgrade next year, you might consider leaving the "old crap" in place and just doing a Skybeacon or GDL-82 for now so that you're compliant. Otherwise, I think you'll end up with more duplicated work between the stages than would be optimum. Keep an open mind as to what you want to do and when.

I'm shopping for a GTX-345 right now, and need it 'by summertime'.
How should I time it, who should I approach?

I'm shopping for a GTX-345 right now, and need it 'by summertime'.
How should I time it, who should I approach?

Dave,

All I can say is "good luck". The good shops are booked up through the end of the year already, or close to it.

Your best bet might be to find a new shop that isn't established enough to have a good reputation and might have better availability, and if their timing still doesn't suit you, offer to pay a 50% premium on the labor - Maybe they'll be willing to work some weekends to fit you in.

Why do you need it "by summertime"? Maybe knowing that could help us give you some alternative solutions.

I should have been clearer, Kent.
Its for the exp, so I think it will be a ‘device purchase only’ not tied to a shop or dealer-installation.

If you are looking for discounts on big ticket stuff like avionics, as others have posted, you shouldn't restrict yourself to OSH week.

I generally buy smaller ticket stuff at OSH that I can take home with me in the plane. My strategy every trip I've made to OSH is to know the two or three things I am interested in advance, do any comparison shopping during the week and decide exactly which alternative I want. Then I always take my chances and wait until the last day to negotiate purchase. Vendors generally don't want to haul stuff home and will most often blow out inventory in the closing hours to avoid that. For example, I purchased my preferred O2 system that way at an excellent price a few years ago. The risk you are taking is they may no longer have in inventory what you want by the last day.

Dave,

All I can say is "good luck". The good shops are booked up through the end of the year already, or close to it.

Your best bet might be to find a new shop that isn't established enough to have a good reputation and might have better availability, and if their timing still doesn't suit you, offer to pay a 50% premium on the labor - Maybe they'll be willing to work some weekends to fit you in.

Why do you need it "by summertime"? Maybe knowing that could help us give you some alternative solutions.

If you wait till 2020, I'll bet it goes on sale.... In 2021, it will be really cheap!

I should have been clearer, Kent.
Its for the exp, so I think it will be a ‘device purchase only’ not tied to a shop or dealer-installation.

Aha! Is the 345 something they sell "over the counter"? I don't think it is... But I could be wrong.

I think your best bet is to talk to nearby Garmin dealers, find out when the Garmin rep is going to be in town, go and sit through their presentation to get your "seminar bucks", have someone get you the show price list from SnF next week, and buy.

Aha! Is the 345 something they sell "over the counter"? I don't think it is... But I could be wrong.

I think your best bet is to talk to nearby Garmin dealers, find out when the Garmin rep is going to be in town, go and sit through their presentation to get your "seminar bucks", have someone get you the show price list from SnF next week, and buy.

Aircraft Spruce (and I suspect others) do sell the GTX 345 transponder directly to experimental owners. They state that owners of certified aircraft must purchase from "a shop certified by Garmin to perform installations".

Aircraft Spruce (and I suspect others) do sell the GTX 345 transponder directly to experimental owners. They state that owners of certified aircraft must purchase from "a shop certified by Garmin to perform installations".

Ah, good. I thought it seemed a bit silly to require that, but when I looked at Sarasota it said "Install Only".

Back