Oshkosh - Departures

I am amazed at how many pilots don't seem to know how to read an airspeed indicator.

Or an altimeter...a group of 3 in front of me with airspeeds varying and to top it off they were not directly over the railroad tracks. One was pretty far off and his speed kept varying a good bit. Was rather annoying. Thankfully at fisk controllers broke me off to 36 before he even acknowledged them. It was crazy! Can't wait for next year!

Everything is fine until.... 2 or 3 years ago we had a crash during he Sunday pre-air show departures. Brought everything to a stop. Idling for 45 mins plus clogged one of my plugs. So I visited the on site repair area where tools and very good and gently delivered advice was doled out. I spent the air show pulling the cowl, the plug, etc. Then feeding and hydrating the pilot and 3 passengers. Good new is that the repair area is right next to 36 departures. I was like number 3 after the show and about 3 before they had to shut down awaiting an on airport t-storm to pass by. I did a quick 180 to the south, picked up my clearance from Chicago and flew a wonderful nighttime downwind dash to Delaware.

Glider racing gave me lots of experience with mass departures and arrivals... it is fun but always has its risks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a Bonanza that slowed down and was over the road instead of the tracks and I tried to stay behind him but at 85 knots and slowing I just stayed over the tracks and 90 knots.
Would love to see the actual tracks and ask guys why they couldn't follow the Notam?

And yes, already planning next year

I had a Bonanza that slowed down and was over the road instead of the tracks and I tried to stay behind him but at 85 knots and slowing I just stayed over the tracks and 90 knots.
Would love to see the actual tracks and ask guys why they couldn't follow the Notam?

And yes, already planning next year

I may have followed the same Bo' 3 years ago. I'm sure he was doing 90MPH instead of knots.

Watching him hang on the prop with gear and flaps down all the way from Ripon was a pain. Slowflighting my '10 full of fuel, people, camping gear and a puking kid was more practice than I needed.

Then the Bo'zo aborted on final due to a little cell over the airport... I think we were down and parked before he landed.
b90a9f3d9b09c7ac29e05ed7d7ef2635.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back