Oshkosh camping

ladyaviator

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Linda
This will be my first trip, camping with only a tent. Wondering which campground you all recommend, Camp Scholler or Circle-R Campground?? :goofy:

Thanks
Linda

If you know someone camping with their plane you might ask them if they would share a wing.

I've only camped in the volunteer area by WBs, but Camp Scholler is a real zoo mid-week the times I've visited. Don't have any first hand info on Circle-R.

It's been quite a few years since I've camped at Camp Scholler (11 to be exact) it seemed OK to me at the time...For whatever that is worth. I've also camped with a plane when I have flown there. Was a lot of fun.

Remember. It may be Wisconsin but Oshkosh is usually HOT. You'll also get hit with at least one thunderstorm so a decent tent is worth every penny.

Steve said:
If you know someone camping with their plane you might ask them if they would share a wing.

I've got a wing to share (and a high wing at that! :yes:) until Thursday, when I'm gonna trade the plane for the car and move to Camp Scholler. Both will be first time for me.

I bought a chair and a fan today. Might buy a new tent based on stories here. My trusty sleeping bag and air mattress will be the veterans of the trip. :goofy:

flyingcheesehead said:
Might buy a new tent based on stories here. :goofy:

As you probably know, be sure to seam seal it and let it cure well before use.

Thanks Kent for the offer, but I read that you can only have one tent per plane, and then what about my car?? Now I`am worried about the tent I borrowed, will it stand up to the thunderstorms? Oh well, it`s an adventure. :dunno:
Linda

ladyaviator said:
Thanks Kent for the offer, but I read that you can only have one tent per plane, and then what about my car?? Now I`am worried about the tent I borrowed, will it stand up to the thunderstorms? Oh well, it`s an adventure. :dunno:
Linda

Uh oh... where did you read that? Guess I have to go back and read. I was planning two small hiking tents at mine.

Missa

Ok, just found where is says that. But is also says that a second tent may be used if needed for imidate family members. Does anyone think there would be an issue with two one/two man hiking tents for the unrealated pilot and co-pilot of a single aircraft? Technically there may be enough room in mine... but it's a tight squease and I snore somtimes and didn't want to disterb her the whole week.

Missa

Last edited:
Missa said:
Does anyone think there would be an issue with two one/two man hiking tents for the unrealated pilot and co-pilot of a single aircraft? Technically there may be enough room in mine... but it's a tight squease and I snore somtimes and didn't want to disterb her the whole week.

Missa

I don't think it'll be an issue as long as they aren't massive tents. When I've flown there I've used two tents and placed them in the area between the tail and wing beside the fuselage. (wouldnt fit under the wing)....

More or less I think they just don't want people setting up several of those massive family size tents and taking up all kinds of room.

No, these tents are SMALL. I haven't seen her's, but in mine only one person at a time can sit up. It will fit one person + gear or two people no gear and I belive her's is the same. Both will fit behind the wings, if we end up with the piper and under the wings if we have the cessna. I'm not sure what I'm flying anymore.

Missa

Back