Oshkosh and WI flooding

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
I have family in OSH and they were stuck in their home last night; water up to three feet deep nearby. Many major roads are closed. Also have family in Portage where the river is out of it's banks with more to come:

From the local TV station near OSH:

At one point Thursday night, Oshkosh officials reported that more than half of the city's streets were impassable due to flooding. The City of Oshkosh has set up shelters at the Convention Center and at Fr. Carr's Place 2 B for those who need to evacuate due to the flooding.

Fond du Lac also experienced a great deal of street flooding, including the closure of Highway 41 south of the Johnson St. exit.. a low lying area that is prone to pooling water.

Best,

Dave

Yeah Fondy got hit hard. these photos are from my folks....

The first one is of Meadowbrook Blvd, and the thing is the middle is the Meadowbrook :eek: Normally a tiny little rivulet, the ditch is probably a good 3 feet deep.

I don't know the exact story on the car, but I think they couldn't find the road due to the flood, and went into the drink. At least the ducks are happy though :D

Attachments

• 100_2451.JPG
    100_2451.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_2453.JPG
    100_2453.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_2454.JPG
    100_2454.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_2459.JPG
    100_2459.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 40
I have family in OSH and they were stuck in their home last night; water up to three feet deep nearby. Many major roads are closed. Also have family in Portage where the river is out of it's banks with more to come:

From the local TV station near OSH:

At one point Thursday night, Oshkosh officials reported that more than half of the city's streets were impassable due to flooding. The City of Oshkosh has set up shelters at the Convention Center and at Fr. Carr's Place 2 B for those who need to evacuate due to the flooding.
Wow Dave, that sounds really serious. Is Lindsay able to get out? Tom has a nephew that lives there and he keeps a boat in a marina either on Fox River or out at the lake. Tom needs to email him to see if they are alright.

Thanks for posting this information. This weather is really destructive! I hope our friends in Iowa are OK.

Wow Dave, that sounds really serious. Is Lindsay able to get out? Tom has a nephew that lives there and he keeps a boat in a marina either on Fox River or out at the lake. Tom needs to email him to see if they are alright.

Thanks for posting this information. This weather is really destructive! I hope our friends in Iowa are OK.

Thanks for asking Diana. Lindsay got caught at the hospital for a day or two. She just got home; then, drove Brit to Portage via back roads that weren't flooded

Best,

Dave

I just got home from visiting with relatives. We started out in Fond du Lac, (driving through a county under Tornado Warning... navigating by cellphone conversation to the host in FDL, also a pilot, as he sat before the computer/weather radar images. Rain (!) but no tornados, whew!) spent a day there, then left for the tip of Door county (peninsula NNE of Green Bay) thus missing all the heavy rains. While we were up there, FDL got 5" of rain in two hours and our host's house received a flooded basement.

Our host dryly presumes that there will be enough water in the lake to launch his boat...

-Skip

The weather has been devestating indeed! So much flooding around us, but we are high and dry up here on our hill!

Did a dual cross country today! We could really see the flooding from 2500 feet up! Pretty amazing. Have you been able to fly much?

The weather has been devastating indeed! So much flooding around us, but we are high and dry up here on our hill!

Hi Linda! It's good to hear from you! :yes: I was hoping that you weren't adversely affected by all the flooding. Did it affect your crops or your cattle?

Did a dual cross country today! We could really see the flooding from 2500 feet up! Pretty amazing. Have you been able to fly much?
That's great that you were able to go on your cross country today. You're really moving right along!

I haven't flown since we got back home from Gaston's...can't get the Citabria out yet d/t all the rain. Tom is giving lessons almost everyday out of PTS though.

Hi Linda! It's good to hear from you! :yes: I was hoping that you weren't adversely affected by all the flooding. Did it affect your crops or your cattle?

That's great that you were able to go on your cross country today. You're really moving right along!

I haven't flown since we got back home from Gaston's...can't get the Citabria out yet d/t all the rain. Tom is giving lessons almost everyday out of PTS though.
Yes, I'm getting a lot of hours and working towards that final check ride!

Cattle are fine - we have enough hills they can get up out of the water. We have two creeks that flow through our farm and we've had a lot of damage in those spots. We still have not gotten our first cutting of hay, which puts us about 4 weeks behind on our hay crop. Normally, we'd be about ready for our second cutting!

WHEW!!!! Best forecast I've seen in ages:

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 68. North northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 51.

Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Partly cloudy, with a high near 71.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 52.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 52.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 57.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.

My brother sent me this. It is from the friend of a friend of a friend who lives in Cedar Rapids. I cannot vouch for its veracity but for what it is worth.... (Phone numbers, etc. deleted...) -Skip

Dear Family & Friends~
Our land line is no longer working (heaven only knows when that will be fixed), and our DSL at home has been down for two days now. I am at someone's office using their computer to get word out. Went to two wi-fi cafe's and could not get on...... If you desperately need to contact us, use:

Scott's cell is 319-

Susan's cell is 319-

The flooding situation has become much worse here in eastern Iowa. The 100 year flood is about 20', the 500 year flood is 24' and as I type this we are at 30.4' and hoping to crest at 30.8 later today. For those of you who know CR georgraphy, the water has completely flooded the east side of downtown CR. Water is up to the railroad tracks. The National Czech Museum is under water, Smulekoff's Furniture Store first floor is entirely under water (not to mention the basement), US Bank (formerly Merchants National Bank) has their first floor flooded (safe deposit boxes are in the basement-we don'have one there thank heavens), all downtown stores and offices on street level are flooded all the way to the RR tracks. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd Avenue bridges are completely under water. The railroad bridge near Penick and Fordt (now Penford Products) was weighted with railroad cars and has been completely collapsed by the power of the water. There is another railroad bridge closer to Quaker Oats that has been weighted with cars in hopes it does not go with the water. We also do not have mail service because the main post office is flooded.

We lost power for about 4 hours yesterday (rain storm related-not flood), when it resumed I hurriedly did about 4 loads of laundry from our NYC trip (returned Wed. night). After I finished the last load we were notified CR was going to consider turning off water and we were to fill tubs and gather water. I quickly took a shower thinking it might be my last for awhile. This morning they are requiring us to use water for drinking purposes only. We are throwing a bucket of water from the hot tub down the toilet when necessary. I did violate the rules when I washed my face and brushed my teeth this morning.

Some people are worrying about sewer backups, we have no reason to think that will happen to us. We do have insurance in that unforseen event.

Mercy Hospital has flood waters on it's ground floor and is having to evacuate patients from the hospital. I heard some are going to Independence. Both St. Luke's and Mercy are in the evacuation area and have had their power turned off--and are on their generators. The Linn county Courthouse and jail were evacuated yesterday and the prisoners are in secret locations. The air views we have been seeing on TV show the entire downtown area from 5th Street East to 8th Street under water.

We have been told the best coverage (although ours is pre-empted by local coverage) is on ABC News (Charles Gibson) at 5:30 CDT. The Good Morning America coverage this morning had one of their anchors in downtown CR and said he had seen a lot of devastation, including Katrina and that this area was worse than Katrina! Hope that puts it into perspective. The difference between here and New Orleans is that we have good civic leadership, planning that has been implemented and evacuated homeowners are not screaming and yelling into cameras. Much more civilized we midwesterners!

I don't know when the next time will be that I will be able to communicate with everyone as things change hourly for us! We are so much better off than about 4,000 homes that have been evacuated to date--not to mention the employees that are out of work at flooded businesses.

We go to Door County Saturday, 6/21 and will have internet access at our condo.

Love,

Diana:

EAA posted that the field was wet, but unflooded. They are optimistic for this attending Air Venture. Understand the insects are pretty bad. Might leave on six pack at home and replace it with bug stuff! Many recommend not pitching one's tent in a low spot!

Best,

Dave

EAA posted that the field was wet, but unflooded. They are optimistic for this attending Air Venture. Understand the insects are pretty bad. Might leave on six pack at home and replace it with bug stuff! Many recommend not pitching one's tent in a low spot!

Dave,

It's gonna be a REALLY bad mosquito year. With all the flooding and such this spring, there's been standing water all over the place with no fish to eat the larvae. I already had one nasty encounter up in Brokaw, WI - Swarms of 'em.

Our state bird is back with a vengeance. :hairraise:

Maybe bring us some bats along with the bug spray...

The weather has been devestating indeed! So much flooding around us, but we are high and dry up here on our hill!

I went up today in SE Wisconsin and saw ..... NOTHING! I had my first IR lesson today. Woo hoo! 1.0 under the hood, but it felt like 3.0 - man, it was choppy. We went from 2500 to 5500 and still couldn't find relief. Here was the METAR for KUES at the time of my flight:

KUES 141845Z 24014G24KT 10SM SKC 26/11 A2993

It certainly was a challenging landing on 28, but a great experience builder.

Note to self: bring a spare, dry shirt for after IR flights. :)

Way to go Stan! I remember doing all my IR training in the winter... with the heat full OFF!

Re: flooding in IA see pics at www.press-citizen.com

Has this guy been seen in Iowa or Wisconsin?

Attachments

• 1_23_083105_looters2.jpg
    1_23_083105_looters2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 10
Back