Oshkosh 2014 lodging -- Hilton garden inn appleton or hampton inn appleton?

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
Which property of these two is best for oshkosh 2014?

Hilton Garden Inn Appleton/Kimberly
Hampton Inn Appleton-Fox River Mall Area

Probably neither one is available.

I got a last minute room at the Hampton last year. I liked it.

Appleton and Sheboygan are always available. Even during the middle of the show. Last four years I've called one or either of them a couple days in advance and never had a problem.

How do you get back and forth?

Both are showing available right now, for very economical rates when booked with points too.

Camping under a wing requires arriving via GA and not Delta airlines :).

Garden Inn has a no refund policy for those dates, hampton inn is refundable.

Both are showing available right now, for very economical rates when booked with points too.

Camping under a wing requires arriving via GA and not Delta airlines :).

Garden Inn has a no refund policy for those dates, hampton inn is refundable.

Camping sans plane is also available.

I usually stay at the Country Inn in West Bend and drive up each day.

I stay in appleton and take the shuttle back and forth.The availability has greatly increased in the past few years.2012 and 2013 was able to book a room the week before for three days.tried the rental car route ,rather take the shuttle.

How do you get back and forth?

I fly into Chicago for free because I am an airline employee. Chicago is favorable to Milwaukee because the rental cars are at normal rates and its only an hour or so further away.

I've never stayed in Appleton, but it's an easy trip. Twice I've flown commercial in and out of Appleton during the show (one year I flew in Commercial and Margy flew the Navion up, on year I flew up in the Navion and then flew back home commercial to go back to work and then came up the next weekend).

The transition between Appleton and Oshkosh is easy though it is about 45min to an hour on the bus (or if you're lucky as I was one time, to get a ride with a passenger that was seated next to me in his rental car).

I usually stay at the road staring,and take the shuttle. The road star was there when there where only a few hotels. The road star is now outdated,would prefer the Hampton in 2015. There is a planet fitness gym behind the road star. They also have a shuttle to and from the airport,and area restaurants.

Not if you've got a friend with two wings, one for them, one for you.

Jim

The rules say one tent per plane, but I don't think it's enforced.
Only one tent per plane unless a second tent is needed for immediate family members. If additional tents are needed, they must fit within the footprint of the aircraft.

The rules say one tent per plane, but I don't think it's enforced.

It says per plane but it means "per campsite". As long as you pay for an additional registration and you don't spread outside of the plane footprint, nobody gives a hoot.

It says per plane but it means "per campsite". As long as you pay for an additional registration and you don't spread outside of the plane footprint, nobody gives a hoot.

My co-owner and I wanted separate tents since we keep different hours. We parked one tent under one wing and one under the other and no one cared. Nobody gives a hoot, period.

I'd offer you the space on the "other" side of our plane, but my daughter has already laid claim to it.

As others have said, if you don't spread out too far, and so long as you pay, EAA doesn't care about the "one tent per site" rule.

Driving in from Appleton would be better than not going to OSH at all...but not by much. If you have ANY on-field alternative, it would be better.

You also caught the rule on the same page about no alcohol, eh Jay?

Under the wing in a tent is always best. We had the palace (unintentionally huge tent purchase, last minute from Target). But, we made it work, and when we told our neighbor the story, and helped get planes organized, it was all good.

I'd agree, try like heck to stay on the grounds. Driving in is fine, but man, the experience (and the discomfort) are totally worth it!

Back