OSH pictures and videos

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Thought I'd start a thread for us to share our pictures and video with each other and those that couldn't attend.

I have video to edit, but here's my batch of photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/troy.whistman/Airventure2008

The most beautiful place on the field is off the field--the seaplane base is incredible. I have a series of photos (not in that link) that I took to "stitch" together to give the full perspective of the seaplane base.

I also have video and audio of the entire arrival into OSH, and I believe Bill Williams does as well. I'll get that edited and loaded later. Many thanks to Kent for helping me not only FLY into OSH, but also serving as a terrific tour guide to an OSH newbie. I'll definitely be back. Hey, Bill, it was great to meet you and you owe me $5 for not posting the picture of you drooling on your pillow. :) :yes:

Thanks guys. Hey, Kent, did you notice there are TWO planes with that 2-letter N-number, N5K?

http://picasaweb.google.com/troy.whistman/Airventure2008/photo#5230446340997859906

http://picasaweb.google.com/troy.whistman/Airventure2008/photo#5230448224932773938

To answer the other question, pictures were taken with my old Canon A80; exposures were adjusted, pictures cropped, etc. in Picasa afterwards.

And the other question: I was at the seaplane base on Saturday afternoon.

Attached is the raw version of my favorite photo of the bunch... I want to get it printed/framed for my office. You'll have to click the thumbnail below once, then click the preview it shows once more to see the final version...

Attachments

• IMG_9769.jpg
    IMG_9769.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
The most beautiful place on the field is off the field--the seaplane base is incredible. I have a series of photos (not in that link) that I took to "stitch" together to give the full perspective of the seaplane base.

Aaaahhhhh.... Mmmmmm... Seaplanes. :)

You know, I like the pics of the seaplane base even more after going over to CAD to fly one today. :yes:

Many thanks to Kent for helping me not only FLY into OSH, but also serving as a terrific tour guide to an OSH newbie. I'll definitely be back.

Excellent! You're welcome. :yes: Maybe next time we can do the departure, it's fun too. :D

Thanks guys. Hey, Kent, did you notice there are TWO planes with that 2-letter N-number, N5K?

Interesting. Both by Ray Stits as well. That tiny one has a competitor at the seaplane base, did you see that? Looked like a 1/4 scale J-3 on floats. I don't think I can fly it. :(

Bird Dog in a hanger at KPHN on the trip out, flawless aircraft.
DSC01194.jpg

Big clouds when your looking out a 150, this was at 9k over Canada
BigClouds.jpg

More big puffy guys
Clouds.jpg

Camping under the wing
JazminCamping.jpg

She loves big round engines, and loved camping next to the Aeroshell T-6's
JazminTexan.jpg

Link to the BIG airshow explosion

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=25HEBVJwPYshttp://http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=25HEBVJwPYs

Last edited:
I was too busy most of the week to take time to shoot pics. But a couple of days I made time...once while flying with the Aeroshell Team & once while taking a breather at the seaplane base.

P7310015.jpg

Right turnout off 36

P7310031.jpg

Heading to the lake for some formation aerobatics. Got a few minutes stick time holding formation enroute!

P7310040.jpg

A little attitude adjustment.

P7310045.jpg

Something's not right here...

P7310052.jpg

Start (or finish) of an echelon roll.

P7310061.jpg

Alternative to rocking your wings.

P7310081.jpg

Survivors photo. (Thanks, Aspen, for the winning drawing ticket!)

P7310099.jpg

Escape from the chaos..

P7310102.jpg

The tail said "Grizzly"

P7310084.jpg

Seen while waiting for the bus to seaplane base

P7310089.jpg

Aircraft looking for fuel...

Wow, Steve!! Those formation pictures are AWESOME!! That must have been a trip highlight for you... as for the "drawing"... where was that!? I'll be sure to fill out a ticket next year!

Thanks, Brook! A friend of mine liked that self portrait too. He said he calls it "Paul Bunyan at Oshkosh". LOL

... did you notice there are TWO planes with that 2-letter N-number, N5K?...

And interestingly enough, the tailnumber N5K is currently owned by Paul Poberezny himself, and presently is assigned to yet a third airplane: A Pober Jr Ace.

So neither that yellow Playmate, nor the Sky Baby in the museum have been flying for quite a long time.

N-number : N5K
Aircraft Serial Number : 2
Aircraft Manufacturer : POBEREZNY PAUL H
Model : POBER JR ACE
Engine Manufacturer : LYCOMING
Model : 0-235 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 2005
Owner Name : POBEREZNY PAUL H
Owner Address : PO BOX 2343
OSHKOSH, WI, 54903-2343
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 29-Dec-1997
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Experimental
Approved Operations : Amateur Built

I didn't get to see Jeff Dunham's routine (got there too late) but there is a copy of it on YouTube (albeit with very bad audio... hoping a better one gets posted).

A snippet from his routine, with Achmed the Dead Terrorist, with better audio, is on Vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/1464255

I was too busy most of the week to take time to shoot pics. But a couple of days I made time...once while flying with the Aeroshell Team & once while taking a breather at the seaplane base.

Steve,

How on God's green airfield did you manage to get a ride with Aeroshell? WOW!!! I'm :frog: with envy. :yes:

Tried to get into Oshkosh on Tuesday morning, camping was full so we diverted to Fond Du Lac and took the bus into the show.

Flew to Oshkosh after the airshow and camped in row 541 "Mooney World" in a 172.

The best experience was our EAA1252 Friday dinner with the Pilot of the U2 that arrived at the field; an old friend of one of our members. Talked about the aircraft and its mission till the early morning.

Did you know that the current fleet of U2's have the same engine as the B1 Bomber and that all the primary control surfaces are manually moved on cables and pushrods without hydraulic boost? At 90 knots 65 pounds of force to roll the yoke and 150 pounds of force to deflect the rudder pedals.

Great week - perfect weather !

Do it again next year.

Attachments

• Oshkosh 08-_002.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_002.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Oshkosh 08-_012.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_012.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Oshkosh 08-_013.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_013.JPG
    951.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Oshkosh 08-_014.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_014.JPG
    999.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Oshkosh 08-_018.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_018.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Oshkosh 08-_021.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_021.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • Oshkosh 08-_033.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_033.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Oshkosh 08-_036.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_036.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • Oshkosh 08-_052.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_052.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • Oshkosh 08-_081.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_081.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • Oshkosh 08-_090.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_090.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Oshkosh 08-_091.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_091.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Oshkosh 08-_132.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_132.JPG
    1,021 KB · Views: 8
  • Oshkosh 08-_149.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_149.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • Oshkosh 08-_145.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_145.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • Oshkosh 08-_123.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_123.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • Oshkosh 08-_179.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_179.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Oshkosh 08-_181.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_181.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Oshkosh 08-_194.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_194.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Oshkosh 08-227 merge.jpg
    Oshkosh 08-227 merge.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Oshkosh 08-229 merge.jpg
    Oshkosh 08-229 merge.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 12
  • Oshkosh 08-_237.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_237.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Oshkosh 08-_247.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_247.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • Oshkosh 08-_173-1.jpg
    Oshkosh 08-_173-1.jpg
    858.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Oshkosh 08-_098.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_098.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Oshkosh 08-_107.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_107.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Oshkosh 08-_112.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_112.JPG
    923.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Oshkosh 08-_117.JPG
    Oshkosh 08-_117.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Actually, I was a little concerned with that, but it was a cool morning and I think the adrenaline overcame the urge. Plus I got to play with the stick a little before and after. That, and the fact that those guys are ultra smooth helped, I'm sure. Pulling around 4g in the bottom of the loop was a little uncomfortable, but the feeling passed quickly. If we had done this down south with the ground temps near 100F it would have been a different story. :vomit: @ 7500' the OAT was still around 85F when we left KJEF.

So, Steve, did you need a sic sac?

It was Spike's fault for telling you about the EFD1000....

So, uh... Spike told me, so I told you, so you got one, and someone from the Aeroshell team saw it, and was so impressed he offered you a ride? :dunno:

You better get me a ride in a P51 next year. ;) :goofy:

Thought I'd start a thread for us to share our pictures and video with each other and those that couldn't attend.

Here's a few...

New tower:
DSCN3517.jpg

Old tower - Quite a difference, shame they're planning on tearing it down!
DSCN3521.jpg

Interior of Cirrus SRS. Note the iPod just in front of the throttle:
DSCN3522.jpg

A really nice Swift:
DSCN3524.jpg

A really REALLY nice Swift, four views:
DSCN3527.jpg

DSCN3530.jpg

DSCN3533.jpg

DSCN3534.jpg

Troy and Kent standing in front of Felix's plane, which camped just a couple of spaces away and did not contain Felix: :(
DSCN3546.jpg

LOL

Actually Aspen Avionics is a new Aeroshell Team sponsor. Aspen had a drawing at their hospitality tent for the 20 some odd owners that showed up on Wednesday afternoon. The first 5 prizes were a behind the scenes tour of Airventure. I declined when they drew my name for that (having been behind the scenes for some years now) and they put me back in the pot for the ride. As luck would have it they pulled mine and one other name for it. The company president took the 3rd seat himself. I've known the team pilots since before they were a team and it was nice to finally get to fly with them after 24 years of watching them do their formation act.

Regarding the P-51, the best I can promise is a chance to sit in the cockpit of Quick Silver... :)

So, uh... Spike told me, so I told you, so you got one, and someone from the Aeroshell team saw it, and was so impressed he offered you a ride? :dunno:

You better get me a ride in a P51 next year. ;) :goofy:

JOOC, Kent. Have you sat in/flown a Swift? They look eerily similar to the RV as far as interior room (i.e. thick seat cushions = bad for guys like you and me). They definitely are sharp looking planes, though! A taildragger retract thats ?aerobatic?? Cool!

That's one shiny polished mirror finish on that Swift gear door, Kent!!

Yes, it is!

One of the things I like most about that particular bird is that it's part paint, part polished. I always figured that if I bought an ugly one I could just get it stripped and polish it for a couple years, then when I got tired of polishing it I could paint it bright red. This one has plenty of painted area to keep the polishing time down, and the parts that do need to be polished... WOW! The owner clearly cares for their airplane. :yes:

JOOC, Kent. Have you sat in/flown a Swift? They look eerily similar to the RV as far as interior room (i.e. thick seat cushions = bad for guys like you and me). They definitely are sharp looking planes, though! A taildragger retract thats ?aerobatic?? Cool!

Chris,

I've sat in a couple, haven't actually flown one yet. The interior is nice and wide. As far as height, the first one I sat in was owned by a guy who's only about 5'8" I think he said. It had the ever-popular C152 seat mod. But then I walked across the field to Duane Golding's hangar (he restored a Swift that made the cover of Sport Aviation, April 2005 I think) where he was working on a Swift. It had no seats, but he put the original seat bottom back in for me to try, and there was plenty of headroom after that.

You see, the 150/152 seats sit up on top of the spar, while the original Swift seats sat behind the spar - There was just a lip over the top of the spar that was maybe 2" thick, with the main, thick part of the seat cushion immediately behind the spar. Duane also said that there are plenty of guys my height flying Swifts.

OBTW, I saw your tweet about missing OSH just a few hours after I watched your dad take off in the RV. :yes:

OBTW, I saw your tweet about missing OSH just a few hours after I watched your dad take off in the RV. :yes:

Ha! Cool! He made a day-trip up there to scope out avionics. If anyone ever sees the plane out and he's with it and not me, feel free to go up and introduce yourself. Just mention you know me from PoA, and he'll understand. :)

Steve, Missa and I saw your IAR but we didn't see you!

Ha! Cool! He made a day-trip up there to scope out avionics. If anyone ever sees the plane out and he's with it and not me, feel free to go up and introduce yourself. Just mention you know me from PoA, and he'll understand. :)

I think Bill Williams got a picture of another plane that has N277DL in the background...

Rats! I would have bought lunch!

I was probably in the -51 area, or helping move some of the larger twins during the week in the WB area. Besides launching and recovering Mustangs I got to drive the tug for Glacier Girl (P-38), Panchito (B-25), and the Cavanaugh Flight Museum Caribou (DHC-4) on different days when the jet line (who normally do the towing) was busy. I also helped with the 50+ plane Yak/CJ6 arrival, too...and, of course, I took an hour off to fly with the Aeroshell Team... :frog:...laundry on Wednesday....seaplane base on Thursday....ok, I guess I was hard to catch....;)

Steve, Missa and I saw your IAR but we didn't see you!

We'll find you next year, Steve! :)

OK, here's the video of my trip up to OSH. It's long (30+ minutes) but includes uncut video of the entire RIPON-FISK VFR arrival.

I need to try to make a new copy--the audio encoding this video made is too "tinny"; the actual copy is full and rich. I'll replace this video with a new one (same url) later tonight. But enjoy!!

http://www.vimeo.com/1484051

Rats! I would have bought lunch!

I was probably in the -51 area, or helping move some of the larger twins during the week in the WB area. Besides launching and recovering Mustangs I got to drive the tug for Glacier Girl (P-38), Panchito (B-25), and the Cavanaugh Flight Museum Caribou (DHC-4) on different days when the jet line (who normally do the towing) was busy. I also helped with the 50+ plane Yak/CJ6 arrival, too...and, of course, I took an hour off to fly with the Aeroshell Team... :frog:...laundry on Wednesday....seaplane base on Thursday....ok, I guess I was hard to catch....;)

Sounds like you're overworked. Let me know if you need any help drool...errrr.. moving planes up there next year. :yes:

It's kinda like the military....lots of waiting, then moments of frenzy, little personal time, and 12-14 hr days. ;)

Sounds like you're overworked. Let me know if you need any help drool...errrr.. moving planes up there next year. :yes:

B17 Short Final:

2744236358_91ffd39e0d_m.jpg

Helo's at the ultralight strip:

2743399059_7b4dc75633_m.jpg

Smiling DC3:

2743399025_1a372c2ca1_m.jpg

Formation Flying:

2744236210_13caf2479b_m.jpg

Da Blimp!

2744236306_1afdf4717f_m.jpg

Flew to Oshkosh after the airshow and camped in row 541 "Mooney World" in a 172. Interesting.... I was the red/white C182 in row 540, third from the "taxiways", facing west.

Back